How to Play SWBF1 on Mac 10.5.8 or higher

Started by Kit Fisto, October 28, 2012, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helios

Maybe just maybe the use of the port could be the thing that is illegal. Idk its a possibility.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Kit Fisto

November 05, 2012, 07:07:20 AM #16 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:10:37 AM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 05, 2012, 12:29:06 AM
Kit didn't make the port at all. And in fact I was going to say that he didn't discover anything at all really when this topic was made. He does deserve credits for writing this tutorial on it though.
I credited you for finding the port for me! OK?! It's on the first post. Should I make the font huge or something?  :rofl: ;)
Quote from: ComSharpshot on November 05, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
Maybe just maybe the use of the port could be the thing that is illegal. Idk its a possibility.
The use of the port isn't the legal issue because it DOES NOT include a copy of SWBF LucasArts folder inside it. That's why you have to purchase the game. And I wouldn't have posted ANYTHING about this port if I knew it was illegal. AND to further console you Buckler, SK showed me this port, and he is maddely against illigal games. :)


EDIT: is this better?
Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 28, 2012, 05:05:17 PM
Massive thanks to:
SleepKiller for showing me this port in the first place

Hardcore

It wasn't that it was illegal in the matter of SWBF itself. The legality at the time we were worried about was that Transgaming (CIder) wasn't released to the public and instead people were just getting the game taking out its contents and replacing it with SWBF contents. And nothing was wrong with that itself but when someone takes the shell that is Cider and uploaded it for others to download they were basically giving all of Transgamings work out for free.

And at the time as far as we could find Cider had not been released as open-sorce for the public the modify and distribute, at this point I still have no idea if they did.
however you can use other methods in fact Cider as i understand it was somewhat left in the dust by Wine at this point.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php Works just aswell once you figure it all out I put SWBF in it and got it running this morning in under 15 minutes and it is 100% open source.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

SleepKiller

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 05, 2012, 07:07:20 AM

I credited you for finding the port for me! OK?! It's on the first post. Should I make the font huge or something?  :rofl: ;)
Gee awful hostile. I didn't make the port either. I said you didn't make I was correcting Ag.

aeria.

Also Hardcore introduced me to Cider. He tried to get a working port of SWBF2 but he wasn't successful. He managed to get in-game but the mouse would lock up.

I decided to test it with serveral Cider wrappers and I found one that was nearly perfect. It was completely playable however the sound was out of sync (weapon sounds are low volume anyway so it wasn't a big issue) and when you typed in text, it repeated super fast. Those were literally the only glitches. Otherwise it was a smooth and viable option to play SWBF2 on Mac.

Minor note: Hardcore and I messed around with Cider wrappers far before portingteam even existed. I peeked around the website and I'm surprised by their dedication and the many different variants of wine that are out there now. I'm very, very impressed. I joined the forums were they were brand new but around the same time I finally got myself to re-install Windows... didn't touch Cider after that.



@ SleepKiller
I credited him for making the post. Not for making the wrapper.



About the legality issues:
The problem wasn't with the SWBF files. The problem was with the wrapper itself being commercial, copyrighted software created by Transgaming. Modifying and re-releasing it was a risky move if Transgaming were to take notice, even if we weren't to make a profit from it. This is before Cider ports really became big so we were potentially a bigger target if their lawyers ever pursued action.
Transgaming created a bit of controversy for taking open source code (wine) as the base for its closed source project but that's a whole other story to tell.


#TYBG

Kit Fisto

November 05, 2012, 04:28:22 PM #20 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:31:51 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 05, 2012, 02:39:47 PM
Gee awful hostile. I didn't make the port either. I said you didn't make I was correcting Ag.
Hehe. :friend: Just messin' with ya bro.
Quote from: {BHF} ag on November 05, 2012, 04:19:50 PM
Also Hardcore introduced me to Cider. He tried to get a working port of SWBF2 but he wasn't successful. He managed to get in-game but the mouse would lock up.

I decided to test it with serveral Cider wrappers and I found one that was nearly perfect. It was completely playable however the sound was out of sync (weapon sounds are low volume anyway so it wasn't a big issue) and when you typed in text, it repeated super fast. Those were literally the only glitches. Otherwise it was a smooth and viable option to play SWBF2 on Mac.
Waa Laa: http://portingteam.com/files/file/7010-star-wars-battlefront-ii/
It says the link is broken, it isn't though. I like SWBFI way better so I didn't feel like writing a whole tutorial on the SWBFII one.

AG- off topic but are you still on a Mac? Do you use xfire anymore? I would love to chat with you about the wine etc.  8)

aeria.

Hey Kit I don't use xfire anymore but I'll install it again to talk.

I'm aeriaglorismpc. Add me!


#TYBG

Kit Fisto

Very, odd story.
Me and my little brother played together through LAN today. He was on the Macbook with the SWBFI PC port, I was on the old PowerBook G4 using my SWBF Mac copy.
This is a picture of my screen: It says he is a Mac!  :wacko: I just thought that was weird.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

P.S. If you see that name on the servers, that is my little brother.  ;)

Led

Since the PC internet servers are no longer active and tunngle does not work for macs, I will un-pin this topic.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Kit Fisto

Quote from: Buckler on January 05, 2013, 06:58:34 AM
Since the PC internet servers are no longer active and tunngle does not work for macs, I will un-pin this topic.
I just realized but can you re-pin this?
Because it tells you how to play SWBFI on the new Mac computers. The native SWBFI Mac game doesn't work on the newer OS's. So it still has some use, just not to play online, but still for singleplayer...
Please?

Darth Verik

So...you can't play SWBF 1 on an older mac?

First the indiana jones games weren't supported anymore, now the star wars games...where does the world go to?

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Kit Fisto

Quote from: Darth Verik on January 22, 2013, 09:12:03 PM
So...you can't play SWBF 1 on an older mac?

First the indiana jones games weren't supported anymore, now the star wars games...where does the world go to?
You can't play SWBFI on the newer macs. But buying a SWBFI PC copy and using the wine port thing will make it work.

So can this be re-pinned. On other sites I direct them to this thread for help on the port...

Ltin

Quote from: Buckler on January 05, 2013, 06:58:34 AM
Since the PC internet servers are no longer active and tunngle does not work for macs, I will un-pin this topic.
but gameranger was origianlly designed for macs, and still works on them, unless gameranger doesnt work for some reason with this method

Helios

Quote from: Kit Fisto on January 23, 2013, 03:50:52 PM
You can't play SWBFI on the newer macs. But buying a SWBFI PC copy and using the wine port thing will make it work.

So can this be re-pinned. On other sites I direct them to this thread for help on the port...
So ill be back to pwning
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Led

Quote from: Ltin on January 23, 2013, 05:32:25 PM
but gameranger was origianlly designed for macs, and still works on them, unless gameranger doesnt work for some reason with this method

Macs and PC using native Mac and PC software can not play together on GameRanger.  You would have to get a PC Gameranger emulator, play LAN option on SWBF PC on mac to play together now, unless Mac Gameranger would work with PC emulator on Mac.

Anyone care to try?  I would love to get our Mac friends back on line somehow.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet