Tips on Shooting Jet Troopers While in the Air.

Started by Helios, October 27, 2012, 03:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was wondering how to land a kill like SirPimped and all of the FC and BlackScorpion did in his Smack down video.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Well I won't tell you how THEY did it... But when I was a good sniper, way back in the day, I would just use the same type of sniping they do in the army:

I think they're called "Following" and "Ambushing." You can either use following and try to follow them with your reticule in the air until you get a good shot, then pull it. Or you can use ambushing and calculate where they will be in the next few seconds and set your reticule there, when they pass you shoot em. The best time to use ambushing is when they get right as high as they can go, then they pause for a moment before falling back down. Use that pause to kill them.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

i was mostly talking about the Shock and Arc Trooper, and the Vanguard as well as the Assault Droid, But thanks for these tips :)  :tu:

October 27, 2012, 03:46:12 PM #3 Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:49:45 PM by Phobos
SirPimped could give you the best advice for mid-air rocket kills. Midair sniping is the easiest. Mortar is hardest, shotgun and pistol are quite challenging as well but its mostly a 'feel' you get with practice, about how much far ahead to aim of where they are going (vertically and horizontally), taking into account your distance from them, the speed of your weapon, spread, ping and lag etc. Also its usually easier to shoot jets as they are descending rather than ascending (for dark jets anyway, clone jets its about the same).

I like sniping clone jets on kamino from across the map while they are flying through the air, and its much easier to get two mid air body shots than one mid air headshot although both are possible.

Haha, I don't have a midair kill in the video; my kill is me sliding off the rail and getting a kill.  With that said, the first rule of being able to knock people out of the air with a rocket is being able to get direct hits, kills that you receive because you hit your target and not the ground surrounding your target.

Quote from: BlackScorpion on October 27, 2012, 04:03:41 PM
Haha, I don't have a midair kill in the video; my kill is me sliding off the rail and getting a kill.  With that said, the first rule of being able to knock people out of the air with a rocket is being able to get direct hits, kills that you receive because you hit your target and not the ground surrounding your target.
I know but it was in the video, thats what i was trying to get at lol.

Shooting jet troopers out of the air is one of the most difficult tasks in SWBF. So to do something difficult, it takes a lot of practice. I would say it took me about two months of practicing before I got air kills on a consistent basis with rocket troopers.

My best advice would be to start simple and go from there.

Step 1: As you're heard already, go for direct kills rather than going for splash damage. It will improve your accuracy. Aim for the center of their body rather than the ground

Step 2: Find a friend to practice on in a private server. Tell them to fly easy patterns and progressively get more difficult as you get more comfortable shooting them.

Step 3: Practice in a competitive server like a FC or PLA server. Focus on only attacking jets in the air. Your score will probably look worse, but it's quality over quantity in that case.

Now for more specific advice, I would say be patient. Wait until you know where the person is about to fly. Clone jet troopers are easier to hit because they have more predictable and slower patterns. Dark troopers have a variety of quick patterns, so really it's all about a "best guess". I usually shoot in the area the player is going. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Try to get good at shooting one rocket with rebel vanguard. It will be more accurate. Other than that it's all about practice. If you spend the time working on it, you will only get better over time.

October 28, 2012, 01:52:31 PM #7 Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:57:38 PM by regent
Play more Space Invaders or Team Fortress 2.

You must learn the importance of shooting where they're going to be rather than where they are....

/Get lucky.

Alright I will take your advice in-game. Thank you all for helping me out.

I dont rly think nobody can tell u how to do airkills, but just watch iNoobishh* 's Videos.
He is the best Air Rocket Killer.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on October 28, 2012, 02:32:43 PM
I dont rly think nobody can tell u how to do airkills, but just watch iNoobishh* 's Videos.
He is the best Air Rocket Killer.
Have you seen SirPimped's Smack down video on xfire, watch that then come back, I just personally think SirPimped and everyone in that collage steals the spotlight in that category.

Well i went to twa today to practice aganist Dark Jets with rocket...only got one and he was like 10 feet off the ground xD... sniping them is much easier imo, im not sure if i can do better aganist Rep jets :D

Noobishh 's videos are much better, much more, u may have never seen any of them.
Ill make a post to show they.
iNoobishh is the best air rocket killer for sure.

Quote from: Anyder on October 29, 2012, 08:07:43 AM
Noobishh 's videos are much better, much more, u may have never seen any of them.
Ill make a post to show they.
iNoobishh is the best air rocket killer for sure.

I have seen iNoobish videos. In my opinion SirPimped gets better air rocket kills, but you can learn a lot from watching either player.

October 29, 2012, 03:22:37 PM #14 Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:27:28 PM by Anyder
Not rly, Sir Pimped airkills are the ''easier'' ones, those where the players fly up and go down.
And then Noobish's airkills are much more skilled (SWBF | When the sun goes down , SWBF | Dumbledore and iNoobishh* Out of Control )
Check some and compare x)
Also ask Trouble, he left server after HÄĐ£§ Airkilled him with rocket :O