Radar Mod?

Started by Helios, September 17, 2012, 01:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes I have to say that it may have an unfair advantage when you are the only one that has it playing on a public server... Unless allowed by the host thus not making it a cheat. Or it could be fair if both the Server had it as an add-on map.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Maybe Led would be willing to officially state whether or not radar is allowed in PLA servers. I don't want to speak for him although we have discussed this on xfire a few times.

Im not really saying {PLA}Servers but in general.  :)

If it is not a cheat, upload it here, see what happens :rofl:

Quote from: {212}Mart on September 17, 2012, 05:26:06 PM
If it is not a cheat, upload it here, see what happens :rofl:
I would not do that if I were you.

Yes i think that download button would get abused!  :P

Kit, i know, he would'nt dare upload it here, since um you know its a cheat :cheers:

Ok man dont go provoke any one this is a friendly community man. >:(

September 17, 2012, 05:34:27 PM #23 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:39:14 PM by {212}Mart
Just saying lol, :cow: :( i forgot thing for the cow emotician

Yes but common you could be a little more courteous!

September 17, 2012, 05:47:53 PM #25 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:50:19 PM by Joseph
Quote from: SleepKiller on September 17, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
Two things you have gone wrong with. A. You are getting your information from Wikipedia.

Therefore it is wrong. Lol. I would link you to the wikipedia page on logical fallacies...

QuoteB. Not everyone knows about the radar mod ergo an unfair advantage for the players that are using it. Thus why I would classify it as a cheat.

There's a phrase called "leveling the playing field". It sounds ghastly to those who choose to take a hardline stance against mods in competitive situations, because it sounds like an unacceptable blow to the integrity of the game. Parallels can be drawn to steroids in baseball. But unlike in baseball, showing everyone how to use radar is immeasurably more efficient than actually trying to control whether a player uses radar. In fact, since radar already exists and is used by many players, it is more fair to give everyone the resources/ability to use it and make their own mind up about it, than to try to close off that option.

If this is impermissible for you, then continuing to decry the use of radar is your right. But it won't convince anyone who already uses it, and will only increase the division between the haves and have-nots.

QuoteAnd to counteract your the resources are there statement, well the resources are there for anyone who knows how to make an aimbot one that could potentially work in a dedicated server environment. So going by your logic I could make an aimbot and it wouldn't be cheating for me to use it right?

In this case, control is more efficient than education and dissemination (it would be pretty obvious and the person could be banned).

Please note I am not remarking on whether or not radar is cheating, only comparing the options of how to deal with it. I advocate making the mod publicly and easily available on this website, even though I know that will probably never happen.

QuoteB) Not everyone knows about radar mod, that is true, but that fact alone doesn't make it a cheat. Not everybody knows they can mod crosshairs or unit skins, are those cheats? Not everyone knows you can play at a higher resolution than the in game options allow for by using battlebelk's custom resolution launcher. Is that also a cheat? By your logic anything that the least knowledgeable player in SWBF is unaware of is considered a cheat. I could not disagree more. I would say that since the knowledge is public, and even on SWBFGAMERS, it is fair game for anyone to use those instructions and build their own radar mod. It is likewise unfair in my opinion to expect players to limit their overall game experience (tournaments excluded ofc) just because a few noobs don't know how or have any incentive to mod.
exactly

Quote from: Joseph on September 17, 2012, 05:47:53 PM
Please note I am not remarking on whether or not radar is cheating, only comparing the options of how to deal with it. I advocate making the mod publicly and easily available on this website, even though I know that will probably never happen.
Lol, the funny thing is that it already is publicly available here, on a certain sticky thread to be specific. One just has to punch in the codes, munge and there you go. I just don't think anyone is going to bother uploading a 200mb+ radar mod here. I'm not advocating anything, just stating facts. :cheers:

As I have said to anyone that has talked to me about it, I can not enforce a ban on radar mods in the public PLA servers.  If I can not enforce it, then I think it would be pretty useless to try to say that I am banning it.

I have also said that if /noradar were a server option like /noaim is an option I would turn it on.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Exactly meaning that it is not a hack on most terms being allowed on {PLA} Servers. Im pretty sure [FC] Allows it on their servers also.

September 17, 2012, 06:14:56 PM #29 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:28:53 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Buckler on September 17, 2012, 06:08:59 PM
As I have said to anyone that has talked to me about it, I can not enforce a ban on radar mods in the public PLA servers.  If I can not enforce it, then I think it would be pretty useless to try to say that I am banning it.

I have also said that if /noradar were a server option like /noaim is an option I would turn it on.
The resources exist to create a /noradar for the server exe, they are just not available to the public :(
I am referring to the source code. It could be made in theory if we had the game and/or server exe source.

Quote from: 501st Commander Sharpshot on September 17, 2012, 06:12:37 PM
Exactly meaning that it is not a hack on most terms being allowed on {PLA} Servers. Im pretty sure [FC] Allows it on their servers also.
Correct. I can't really think of any public servers which have explicitly prohibited the use of radar, except for the tournament servers Led is hosting.

Oh yea and just for the heck of it, here's excerpt from a conversation I had with Habi several months ago
[spoiler]
Quote[FC]Ldr.Rage: i know you have radar
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: yes i do
[FC]Ldr.Rage: some players say its cheat
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: its no cheat
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: its an atvantage
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: and i use it
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: in my opinion only high skilled players should gain this
{U.E.F} Eternal'Habi: because if you are high skilled you can get better with mm. if you are not, you first can get much better improving your skill
[/spoiler]