Why Star Wars Battlefront 1 is better than it's sequal and all other branches

Started by Kit Fisto, September 03, 2012, 11:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So here is the topic that we shall populate with facts and/or opinions on why SWBF1 is better than any other SWBF game. Then you can send this to that annoying person in your class/ workplace who thinks SWBF2 is better than SWBF1!  :XD:
Let's make this the topic of 2012!!! [spoiler]( not sure what that means lol )[/spoiler]  :cheers:

I'll post my facts/opinions later...

I know alot of people prefer number 2 but I would be interested to see player numbers if they had come out the other way around. :) Any way I prefer number 1 for alot of reasons the two main ones are;

Gameplay: I like games that are easy to play but hard to 'master'. I play BF1 because to me all the units suit a certain play style theres no extra complications, in BF2 you have to worry about chain guns, overheating and unlocking units. I just want to point and shoot.
Also my favourite maps in Battlefront are Cloud City, Mos Eisley, Citadel, Mustafar and Jabba's palace . 3 of those came from BF1 and only one isn't available so it wins there for me.

Community: Despite it's age BF1 has a good online community, we have a variety of clans which you can join for fun or for more serious play. Obviously there's the usual idiots and bullies you come across online but it doesn't take long on BF1 to find someone who will help you out and be friendly. There's also still profesionally hosted servers available with enough variety in rules and mods that everyone can find one they enjoy playing on.

I didn't mean to write all that but since I've been playing for 6 years and nearly every night for the past one and a half it seemd like a good question. :) Oh, and I do like BF2 it's a very good game which i play offline sometimes I just prefer number 1.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I like BF2 because of Dark Times 2, Battlefront Extreme, The Conversion pack,  Space maps, Jedi combos, and other things.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

SWBF2 is technically better, but I'm an irrational person and just prefer SWBF1. I couldn't begin to make and argument supporting my opinion it's just a matter of personal preference.

I like SWBF1 combat better, SWBF1 Chat better, SWBF1 community better, and SWBF1 maps better(For the most part) But SWBF2 has space maps and better looking units(I hate it when units get flat like paper on swbf1,  deka shield effects, skirt effects, and rebels all look better on SWBF2.)

Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on September 03, 2012, 12:54:33 PM
I like SWBF1 combat better, SWBF1 Chat better, SWBF1 community better, and SWBF1 maps better(For the most part) But SWBF2 has space maps and better looking units(I hate it when units get flat like paper on swbf1,  deka shield effects, skirt effects, and rebels all look better on SWBF2.)
I think, I might not be right, but all the SwBF2 things you like can be put in to SWBF1 ( besides the space maps ). I recall Snake or Tirpider going somewhere with the cloth effects for clones, and SleepKiller and Sereja have made pretty awesome ( better than SWBF2 ) deka shield effect. SWBF2 Rebels skins have been made, and SleepKiller said that the low resolution models thing can be modded out.

I think that SWBF2 is a technically better game, without Jedi. It makes regular SWBF2 battles really frustrating if General Grievous starts flying out of nowhere, with total domination in close quarters.

Also, the fact that sniper scopes were taken out really baffles me, and the unlockable units as you keep playing make it so better players keep getting better. There is no solid base for everybody, some players are given incredible advantages again and again.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Ok here is my opinion on why SWBF1 is the superiour game. I'm referencing stock SWBF1 and 2 for the moment:
1. Variation in weapons. By this I mean that the same factions on different sides have different weapons. Let's go down the 4 factions that are basically all the same in SWBF2. For example, the Rebel Soldier has 3 thermal detonators and 3 concussion grenades while the Stormtrooper has 4 thermal detonators and 2 concussion grenades. Another is the rocket launchers. The droids and empire have a one shot rocket launcher while the clones and rebels have a 2 shot variation. The pilots, the cis and imp pilots have mortar launchers while the rebels have a shotgun and the rep have the DN bolt caster. Snipers, They either have 5 shots and 2 zoom levels, or 6 shots and 1 zoom level.
2. Vehicle hit points. In SWBF1 the vehicles actually seem realistic, if you shoot at the ground with a tank the person near the ground will die. In SWBF2 if you hit the person directly, they will not die. ( depending on the vehicle of course )
3. Maps, Maps, Maps, Maps. SWBF1 has all of the best maps! Don't forget SWBF2-ers that Hoth, Jabba's Palace, Naboo, and Yavin IV were all originally SWBF1 maps! Plus SWBF1 has even better maps! Tell me a map that beats cloud city or Platforms, or even the Rhen Var's!! Also SWBF1 has maps that span throughout all 6 films and you can clearly tell which ones, and there isn't a bunch of 1 episode. SWBF2 doesn't really have that feel. Here is if you don't know what SWBF2 maps go to which films and there isn't that much variation.
[spoiler]
Coruscant: episode III
Dagobah: episode V
Death Star: seen in episode IV or VI
Kamino: episode II or III ( the clones are wearing phase II armor so it should be III )
Felucia: episode III
Kashyyyk: episode III
Mustafar:episode III
Mygeeto: episode III
Naboo: from the story line it is between episode III and IV but that is debatable
Polis Massa: episode III
Tatooine: episode IV or VI
Utapau: episode III
Yavin IV: episode IV[/spoiler]
SWBF1 maps
[spoiler]Bespin maps: episode V
Endor: episode VI
Geonosis: episode II
Hoth: episode V
Kamino: episode II
Kashyyyk: episode III ( even though the movie wasn't even out yet they included episode III maps )
Naboo: episode I
Rhen Var: any episode! that is what is great about those maps!
Tatooine: episode IV or VI
Yavin IV: episode IV[/spoiler]
4. Simple yet difficult. gdh92 already said this, so I think I will just quote him because he is spot on:
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on September 03, 2012, 11:47:13 AM
Gameplay: I like games that are easy to play but hard to 'master'. I play BF1 because to me all the units suit a certain play style theres no extra complications, in BF2 you have to worry about chain guns, overheating and unlocking units. I just want to point and shoot.
I totally agree with this statement.
5. Online Community. The SWBF1 online community might be small but it is great. I am not really a member of any other site or gaming community except ones for SWBF1. But I really enjoy the few DC's we have and the interactions with modders and other people around the world who like this game.
6. Released for Mac. This might not matter to PC people but SWBF1 was released for mac, which brought even more people to the online communities. SWBF2 was never released for mac legally so they lost a lot of potential fans, from the mac community that is.
7. Gameplay. Some say SWBF2 gameplay is superior but I say not! I remeber jdee saying that it feels more "natural" and that is exactly what I think. For some reason SWBF2 gameplay just doesn't appeal to me! The AI in SWBF1 treat you just like another bot, but in SWBF2 they see you as public enemy numero uno! I don't particularlly like that but others might... I think you get what I mean by more "natural" gameplay if you have ever played SWBF1.

On to mods ( WARNING MY OPINION )
1. SWBF1 modders aren't given that much to work with therefore their mods may be limited, but they think through everything. I don't know how else to explain it but you SWBF1 modders can try to do a better job.
2. Super SUPER smart modders, to name a few, SleepKiller, Phobos, Sereja, Tirpider, Napseeker, scum_strike, ggtuck, jdee and MANY MANY MORE!! Please don't hate if I left you out, if I listed them all the internet would explode. These modders have pushed waaay beyond SWBF1 "boundries." Just look at some of their work and you will see EXACTLY what i mean.
3. Certain mods in SWBF1 and 2 are the "BIG MODS" or the "BEST MODS." I think SWBF1's Best mods section is far greater than SWBF2's. To name A FEW of SWBF1's
Main Play mod
Star Fire mod
Battlefront 1.5
Unleashed
Any of Sereja's maps are so well thought out and have cool sides that each map should be considered a BIG MOD.
These are feel more polished and thought out then the SWBF2 mods. (my opinion btw )
SWBF2's
Conversion pack
Dark Times
Extreme
... any more? ( I haven't tried them all yet. )

Phew. That was long. I am preaching to the converted here but I hope I got my point across...

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on September 03, 2012, 12:57:22 PM
I think, I might not be right, but all the SwBF2 things you like can be put in to SWBF1 ( besides the space maps ). I recall Snake or Tirpider going somewhere with the cloth effects for clones, and SleepKiller and Sereja have made pretty awesome ( better than SWBF2 ) deka shield effect. SWBF2 Rebels skins have been made, and SleepKiller said that the low resolution models thing can be modded out.

!!!! I need to know how to mod out low rez!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on September 03, 2012, 11:18:44 AM
So here is the topic that we shall populate with facts and/or opinions on why SWBF1 is better than any other SWBF game. Then you can send this to that annoying person in your class/ workplace who thinks SWBF2 is better than SWBF1!  :XD:
This topic is pointless if you have already decided that there can be no debate. every post you make takes some absolutist position where your opinion is the only valid one which is irritating and borderline offensive.

Obviously I play swbf1 way more than swbf2, or at least I have logged way more hours on 1. that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the better game. I play swbf1 more because:

-it's literally the first video game I ever seriously played (on ps2 at a friends house in 2004) besides asteroids, jazz jackrabbit, tyrian, the magic school bus space/ocean games, and related computer games from my earlier youth. I have a special connection to it, it's jut one of those things that's always been around for me. I am not serious enough about gaming to branch out into other games.
-I know a lot of people who play it (online, at least). there is undoubtedly a "social" component to online gaming if you do it often enough, the existence of xfire and this site are ample evidence of this.
-unmodded online public servers I find to be more fun to join and play in (at least, as long as it's not cloud city cw where the entire rep team is jets). swbf2 I find to be less skill oriented, like snipers not having reticules unless you put them in via 1.3 update or some other mod. that's just retarded. also in general sniping in swbf1 is much harder to master than in bf2 which, of course, makes it that much more rewarding.

swbf2 is better in the following areas:
-singleplayer is actually fairly fun, especially with mods such as BFX.
-in general, the modding universe seems more expansive and powerful. there are some bf2 mods which essentially amount to a complete overhaul of the game. I have nothing but respect for the fantastic modding community of swbf1, of course; this discrepancy seems to result from the differing game engines (or something technical like that). mods like BFX, dark times, maps such as battle arena 2.0 and rend's mos eisley: spaceport -- these mods are just mind-blowing.

Quote from: Regent on September 03, 2012, 11:56:27 AM
SWBF2 is technically better, but I'm an irrational person and just prefer SWBF1. I couldn't begin to make and argument supporting my opinion it's just a matter of personal preference.
basically how I feel.

also if you are complaining about jedi pwning you in bf2 then you're kind of a noob lol, they're not too hard to kill if you know the right tricks. although some people get really good at jedi which is genuinely frustrating

Quote from: kitfisto15678 {GLT} Commander on September 03, 2012, 02:42:13 PM
SWBF2's
Conversion pack
Dark Times
Extreme
... any more? ( I haven't tried them all yet. )
i'm curious if these are literally the only mods you've tried for bf2. in fact i doubt you've even tried these seriously because if you had you wouldn't say they aren't well thought out, in fact dark times 2 and bfx are genius.

Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on September 03, 2012, 02:51:03 PM

!!!! I need to know how to mod out low rez!!!!!!!!!
Ask sleepkiller

Quote from: Joseph on September 03, 2012, 03:28:40 PMin fact i doubt you've even tried these seriously because if you had you wouldn't say they aren't well thought out, in fact dark times 2 and bfx are genius.
Check your pm. My graphics card is bad and literally half the swbf2 maps won't work for me.

I think SWBF1 is surely better, and many arguments for this, was sayed before. But here is my list of most terrible things of SWBF2:

1. Visual: all things look's flat, colorless, and contrasted. It is ruined realistic view, and not look's beauty to me.  :o.
2. Bonus system: it hard to imagine, something most annoing, then SWBF2 awards: it's flashing and alarming right from the unit body all the time, and never stops! Horror! :wacko:
Ofcourse, unavailable units, upgrade weapons, uppearing playable jedi-vampire (can't live, if arn't kill somebody) totaly ruined realistic of serious gamplay, and turn the game in to the "crazy arcade".
3. Gamplay: yes, 'crazy arcade' it is: all enemy AI is realy hunting only for player, not show up on mini map, rolling jumping around, and even try killing, already falled enemy (how cruel!).
Also, what a strange idea: making starfighter targeting system, working for infantry? You almost can't see the enemy, just overhuge reticules, that need to be lock on target's... :confused: It's ruined all the rest of realistic...
4. infantry: it isn't much bug (can be fixed in mod maps), but look's like, creators hurry up with release, or didn't see the movie at all. That's may be explanation, why galactic marine (clone snow trooper), become commander, and apearing in jungle, urban, or desert maps. Or why rebels and imperials appear with desert/regular outfit in snow map. Or why on every planet appears only "blue" clones?
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Mostly what everyone else has said is valid. I think bf2 is maybe a better game for single player on a console, but otherwise it falls short. I tried the game for 1 day and was very dissapointed with it. The sniper is horribly nerfed, no reticule and you can only shoot while zoomed in. I uninstalled the game within a few hours. The lame jedi classes just really defeat the whole purpose of it being a first person shooter. SWBF1 is so much infinitely better, and while there's some cool stuff swbf1 doesn't have and more modding potential for bf2 because of additional LUA/ODF stuff, I don't think any mods for bf2 could make the game even half as fun as swbf1 for MP. The HUD is also much less acceptable. Other low points include giving the dark trooper a zapper. That was just a big fail. The swbf1 shotgun is better than bf2 shotgun altho I do like the flechette and will be adding something like it to alien wars era. If we ever do see swbf3 I would hope it would be based on the design of swbf1 with newer features implemented.

Quote from: Regent on September 03, 2012, 11:56:27 AM
You have no idea..
I like bf2 because of the Space maps, and how you can turn upside down, all the side skins, story mode rocks, and some of the maps are pretty dang good... But swbf1 sides need ALOT of improvement (which is why us modders exist) and the maps could be a bit better, and there are NO space maps, but for some reason, I like BF1 better :S
Edit:: of course the controls are a little bit harder for the person switching game from original one they have played*

Quote from: RepublicCommando on September 08, 2012, 01:49:53 PM
But swbf1 sides need ALOT of improvement (which is why us modders exist)
The stock sides are balanced and fair despite what everyone may think. Pandemic knew what they were doing when they made the game. Most custom sides usually end up being unbalanced and unfair.