Genius wanted: DC Server

Started by Dresh, January 25, 2009, 12:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is there anyone that is able to make a dedicated DC server?  I have server that I could install it on and that way both PC and Mac players could easily access it without someone having to host all the time!

There have been people who have used extra computers as "Dedicated" servers, and PC and Mac were able to join, sadly this killed wraths computer, along with that- it is possible, making a server is as easy as Porting, and starting it with the maps you want to run.

If you want a more indepth guidelines, talking to Wrath (Tim), Buckler should be able to help you as they have both hosted many DC Servers.

Also check out the Port Forwarding guide that Weili made if you need to port. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

I already run a server but due to lack of graphics capabilities (it is a server after all) the game wont run so I cant just install a copy of the game itself and set up a dc. I already run the dedicated server software (for both SWBF and BF2) but that is just for PC's.  I was hoping that someone would have the necessary know how to build (or adapt the current) the same for just setting up a direct connection, as you would in the game but without all having the game installed.

As we all know Direct connection is the only way PC and Macs can play together.  And Instead of hosting on my computer I want to let the server do all the work after all that's what it is there for!

I've been working on this on and off (getting the GameSpy dedi software to host DC). I have one last idea, but it may take a while to implement. So far I have not seen any way to do it with just one computer.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

huh? What do you mean just one computer? just one computer is a single player...  :D

I meant other than hosting it with a second computer. If I get this to work the regular server software (possibly hosted software as well!) will work.

any luck with that server stuff Pi?

no. I can get it to almost work by setting the dedicated software to lan, but even though the player shows up on the list it times out :(

My last option is to do a protocol converter. I'd have to catch incoming GS packets and convert them to DC packets, and vice versa. Unfortunately, the protocols were never released by LucasArts, so I'd have to try and decode them myself.

keep up the decoding, this is important, i hope to be here online when you have the breakthru. from cull

Just a tip- here we generally try not to post in topics that are over thirty days old unless we have some new and exciting information.

More stuff like this can be found in the Rules, which are in the News forum.

Locked.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)