PC and Mac on GameRanger

Started by SchTicK, December 26, 2011, 08:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Now GameRanger allows for PCs and Macs to play Battlefront together (well supposedly). But when I try to join a PC hosted game I get "Version Mismatch" error. And when I host a room, the PC guys don't see any maps listed to join. I never had any trouble joining DC hosted games from PCs. Are there 2 different camps/versions the PC players use maybe?

I just downloaded gameranger and got it working on my router and i can get into some servers but didn't see any maps displayed for another one i tried. It probably depends if the host is using 1.0 or the 1.2 patch. Was 1.2 released for Macs?
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I am a Mac and I have patch 1.2 Rev A. It is required for the game to run on Intel macs.

When a Mac hosts on GameRanger there is no list of maps, you automatically join whatever map is in progress after a countdown connection period, approx. 20 seconds. I take it when a PC hosts there is a list of maps to pick from.

When you use the pc service 'gamespy' you pick the server you want here; http://www.xfire.com/profile/gdh92/screenshots/?view#120422793 but when I use gameranger everything happens automatically until that screen when it just appears empty. Although some gameranger servers do work.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I don't believe Macs and PCs are compatible right now on GameRanger. I have a discussion topic open on the GameRanger forum "Battlefront I Version Mismatch error", hopefully Evill will see it and respond.

I suspect it may be trying to connect to 1.0 server listings on the PC.  I can look into it on my end--
Led
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks Buckler — If anyone can figure this out you can.

Hey Schtick,

Do you ever get to a screen that looks anything like this ?

December 30, 2011, 04:47:15 PM #8 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:01:11 AM by Unit 33
From GameRanger it launches straight to "connecting" screen and then the map loading screen.
GR cuts out the "middle man" of that screen.

Quote from: Unit 33 on December 30, 2011, 04:47:15 PM
From GameRanger it launches straight to "connecting" screen and then the map loading screen.
GR cuts out the "middle man" of that screen.

hmm, but you must be able to select a particular server somehow?

Not really servers, just "Rooms" on GR.
Players join and the host begins the match.
There are no dedicated servers or anything.

December 31, 2011, 09:55:26 AM #11 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:57:00 AM by SchTicK
Yea, Unit is right. There are no servers to choose from. When you host a room from a Mac, the people in the room have no choice as to what map or choice of a server. So I guess whoever is hosting the room is the server, they choose maps to play. People can join a match after it has been started (so long as the host has checked that option) and automatically join the map in progress.

No response on the GameRanger forum as yet.