N00bs

Started by MacGenius, March 28, 2009, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ah! ... Now I understand. :-P

Is there a difference between noob, newb and n00b? Or nøøß?

And for the record, super noobs are noobs who have the power to cause multiple people to hate on them all at once!

"I can has ur goats? pleeze?" (Wikipedia).

to quote a famous signature:

"newb is a state of time
n00b is a state of mind"

Basically newb is new to the game and still does stupid stuff because they don't know better. a n00b knows better but doesn't care and likes to be complained at. n00b is also considered to be a little bit stronger than noob, but they are of the same vein

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

No, they all originate from the same thing...newbie!

Some ppl put more meaning to them but in essence they are just someone who is new and uneducated in certain etiquette.

QuoteNoob is a slang term for a new person in a community, group, or video game, and especially on the internet (see internet slang). Noob is short for "newbie", another slang term that comes from the word "new". A noob usually means a bad player in a game, or someone who does not know the rules of a community. Being a noob is usually not a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie

ahh Wikipedia, the place where any n00b can change the definition so he doesn't look as bad. Isn't it great?

I think a noob would have made it say "A n00b is a person who despite his awesomeness is hated on by other players." Unless they have a thing for people not liking them.

You all know I'm a lot older than most here. I was using the internet before some of you guys could type...I remember back where ppl were newbies, the term noobs wasnt even invented yet!

This kinda thread shows that ppl still think that a noob holds some greater meaning other than a newbie.  Rest assured it does not!  A noob is someone who is new and for want of a better term 'doesnt know the ropes' and often looks foolish due to this!

Quote(top google listing for the search: what is a N00b?)

Definitions of N00b on the Web:

* Newbie (also said as nooby or newby) is a slang term for a newcomer to online gaming or an Internet activity. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N00b

* A newbie, noob, newb. A new user of a game or activity with a lack of experience
      en.wiktionary.org/wiki/n00b

* Newbie Leet speak term for amateur or beginner.
      http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx

what gets me is who thought replacing the 'oo' with '00' was a good idea? most slang on the internet is aimed at ease/speed of typing, it's not as if it takes less keystrokes....someone must have thought it looks cool!  In case you didn't know replacing letters with numbers is very noobish, especially when it offers no significant advantage!

I think it may have to do with the n00bs using 1337 sp34k all the time thinking it's c00l

Also, while the official definitions may be equal to newb, if you look on UrbanDictionary most people consider a noob as not wanting to learn, but a newb willing and trying you learn from their mistakes. (Not that UrbanDictionary is in any way the most correct thing in the world, but it does symbolize what the people think)

Quote from: "The_Pi"(Not that UrbanDictionary is in any way the most correct thing in the world, but it does symbolize what the people think)

Or what a select group of people think. They like awesome people like those rock guys from way back but don't like alot of modern music I notice. Isn't it funny how everyone on the TV loves the Jonas Brothers and everyone on the Interwebs hates them?

Quote from: "El Chupacabra"
Quote from: "The_Pi"(Not that UrbanDictionary is in any way the most correct thing in the world, but it does symbolize what the people think)

Or what a select group of people think. They like awesome people like those rock guys from way back but don't like alot of modern music I notice. Isn't it funny how everyone on the TV loves the Jonas Brothers and everyone on the Interwebs hates them?

True, but that select group of people happens to be the people on the Interwebs. So, you get the people who use the term pitching in what they think the term means. I do agree with the basis of your argument though. Go look up teachers there, and after the first page you get tons of people who complain about their teachers. I bet not one teacher is on UrbanDictionary

my definition of a noob is someone who doesnt learn and/or doesnt listen

Quote from: "Red"To me, you still are a noob. :P 4+ years of experience here.

Still, the host seemsed like more of a noob. Getting all butthurt over something so trivial.

total Noob^ just kidding but umm
Your frank kenobi or whatever right or am i getting confused

The surefire way to determine noobness - frequency of the use of the word 'noob'.  The more a player calls others noob, the bigger noob they are.  That, and anyone who uses 'pwn' to mean own.  Skill players don't bother stating the obvious.  They just kill the noob.

No "pointless" replies such as "I don't know" or "maybe".

From the Forum Rules.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)