what is legal and ok to do

Started by Xfire Keenmike aka cull, November 18, 2009, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
we can make mods thru bfbuilder. sometimes we rename the game files to be able to play the mod files. and at times we have to hex edit bfbuilder files to work well. so i ask what is legal? and what is ok to talk about in this forum? what about hex editing game files to work better?

If you make it or edit, you can distribute it. You cannot redistribute unaltered game files.

It's OK to talk about most anything other than piracy, which is downloading content that should be paid for, and anything that breaks the EULA or guidelines the devs have set.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

JK pretty much summed up what's legal and what's not.
Decompiling models from other games is also illegal. Don't try to distribute those either.

#TYBG

thank you guys, i didnt know that. i learned in drivers education that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. so how would you view distribution of swbf1 game side files in ignorance?

November 19, 2009, 01:54:02 PM #4 Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:55:42 PM by ggctuk
Well, some things skirt on the boundaries of legality. For instance, we are told not to use any copyrighted things no included in the mod tools.

In actuality, by simply porting things from BF2 to BF1 we're breaking the EULA's terms, as each is very specific in the uses of their assets, likewise with BF1 to BF2. I think some things are okay to do.

So, yes, we're all being illegal :P

It's LucasArts' terms in the EULA, not Pandemic's, so the argument that "Pandemic has been closed down" would not wash.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

thank you, i am glad imagination is not ilegal. when i play i just imagine i am the mesh i want to be because i know it is possible. and i would rather play with others in multiplayer shipped maps in places never before imagined than modding.