No textures, no party: I can't deal with MSH materials...

Started by i2Bros, September 29, 2016, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Guys, can someone clearly explain how to create materials for mshs? On gametoast there isn't a clear tutorial on that and I keep having the issue that the models keep being white without any kind of texturing, like if I did nothing (I use the Material Manager included in the ZE Tools).
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

First thing first.The material manager of ZETOOLS is used to add render effects to your models like shinny,gloss,bump,env map effects.

Second your model must also have a material.This material is different from the ZETOOLS material manager.A material for your 3d model contain all the coordinates for your texture that you added on your model.

So i dont understand where you have problem?Before you add a render effect to your model does he have working textures?If your model have fully working textures and when you try add a render effect and after taht he dont have a textures then the you are adding render effect wrongly.

Thats what i want to know first before i can help you further.Do you have problem after trying to add render effect or before that?

Quote from: Ginev on September 29, 2016, 05:10:36 PM
First thing first.The material manager of ZETOOLS is used to add render effects to your models like shinny,gloss,bump,env map effects.

Second your model must also have a material.This material is different from the ZETOOLS material manager.A material for your 3d model contain all the coordinates for your texture that you added on your model.

So i dont understand where you have problem?Before you add a render effect to your model does he have working textures?If your model have fully working textures and when you try add a render effect and after taht he dont have a textures then the you are adding render effect wrongly.

Thats what i want to know first before i can help you further.Do you have problem after trying to add render effect or before that?

I basically made my model in 3ds max adding materials then exporting the model as .obj: maybe the fact only .png are used by obj materials implies that XSI is not capable to read my model materials? Should I try to import the model in a different format?
But anyway the textures don't show either before or after in XSI, whatever I do. So what's wrong? It's that xsi is not a fan of .obj materials?

As far i know you must use only .tga (TARGA) format for your textures.For example metal.tga or building.tga Every other texture format like jpg,png,bmp will not work in game.Change the format of your textures to tga then try to export.Tell me if its working.

Quote from: Ginev on September 30, 2016, 05:55:09 AM
As far i know you must use only .tga (TARGA) format for your textures.For example metal.tga or building.tga Every other texture format like jpg,png,bmp will not work in game.Change the format of your textures to tga then try to export.Tell me if its working.

the problem is that .obj supports only the .png format... How can I do?

Thats not true.I am using only obj file models and they all use .tga textures.

Quote from: Ginev on September 30, 2016, 03:38:16 PM
Thats not true.I am using only obj file models and they all use .tga textures.

How can I assign .tga to my .obj files in 3ds max? When I do it changes them in .png

For XSI there is no any difference what type of images .obj file have. It imports everything. After import you have to change any imported materials to the tga format anyway.

To import obj. file format correctly click File>Import>Obj file... In Wavefront_import window browse your .obj file. In Displacement Options window browse your image. Click Ok and close all of the pop-up windows.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Sereja I think he is focused learning 3ds max.There is a way to change the format of your texture when you made the obj model ready for import in XSI.Let say you make your model in 3ds max and before import it into XSI for export make this first:Your obj file is coming with a mtl file.That mtl file contain the coordinates of your texture and the texture name/format itself.You can open this mtl file with notepad/wordpad.When you open it just search for the name textures.When you find a texture name just change the file format to tga.Do this with all textures then save the mtl file.Then if you have photoshop or Gimp open your texture and just convert them to tga format.Keep the same names since in the mtl file you just changed the format on the end not the name itself.When you make that then import your obj to XSI and export to msh.Then your model will have textures..unless you dont screw something while you were modeling your model of course  :XD:

If you still have problem let me know man i will send you example/test obj file so you can try it and see how its working.

cool! I will try! I'll make you know as soon as possible ;)

EDIT: It worked! It's awesome! Thank you a lot Ginev and Sereja!

Quote from: Ginev on October 01, 2016, 04:23:41 PM
Emperor Palpatine:Gooooooooooooooooooood!

ahahaha