Space Map Conversion Project

Started by Giftheck, December 05, 2013, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am proud to announce that I have started work on converting the nine Star Wars: Battlefront II space maps to Star Wars Battlefront.

I've figured out a way to make them work well enough. These are the highlights:

-There will be three command posts per team: the hangar is a capturable CP and is where vehicles are spawned. It'll be difficult to take though, as not only is it a heavy Command Post, but it is right next to Command Control (formerly the Autoturret Mainframe). The third CP is the Command Bridge. All three CPs are selectable and all three will allow you to spawn aboard your capital ship.

As with Star Wars: Battlefront II, you will be restricted to two classes in space: the Marine and the Pilot classes.

The goal of making the internal CPs as I have done is to give incentive to board the enemy ship and to give use to the carrier classes (K-Wing, Sentinel Shuttle, Droid Gunship, LAAT/i Gunship). For fun you can take out the other critical systems and the enemy frigate but they won't do anything to the opponent's score.

The only thing I have left to figure out is how to get the autoturrets working. I have a hypothetical version ready.

I have already started work on Space: Yavin and screenshots and status updates will be posted as and when I can. The only one that I foresee giving problems will be Space: Mustafar as that is a cross-era map and as such requires complete sound rebuilding to work.

This project will start aside from the SWBF Celebration mod, but will eventually be integrated into it.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

This sounds awesome! I'm wondering though, would it be possible once done the conversions, to make the ships themselves more movie accurate? Like perhaps have the Command Bridge where it's actually located?

I think that would require a little bit of modelling, actually. SWBFII models are accurate, but not easily manipulated without major work (from experience..)
--
It will be great to have SWBFII style space maps in SWBFI, good luck on your ginormous endeavor, and remember not to burn yourself out!

The project, as I said, will initially be released separate.

I've also decided on a third class: a Fleet Officer. Fleet Officers are poorly-armed and are really meant for defense and for dispensing health and ammo: for that reason, they only have a precision pistol and health/ammo packs. The precision pistol is based off BF2's Award Pistol, only less powerful.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1