My Computer Setup

Started by Led, May 23, 2016, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on May 24, 2016, 10:32:29 AM
I'll start work on the neon lights.  :)
I am intrigued why you would want to track rabbits.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Gold Man on May 24, 2016, 02:09:36 PM
Ah, seems I'm not the only one who's accessorized their laptop for gaming use. :P What's the specs for your monitor with the mount, or is it 1366x768 like you said? My current TV is 1360x768, though my previous model (which I really liked because it could convert composite connection from my GameCube using the component inputs) was also 1366x768. :P

The monitor is an HP S2031 which is 1600x900 and 60hz refresh rate, and the mount is here: http://www.amazon.com/Halter-Articulating-Single-Monitor-Mount/dp/B00K2C3KMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464125493&sr=1-2&keywords=halter+articulating+single+arm
I have temporarily removed the laptop tray, which I originally used for the Intuos tablet.

Both the PS3 and laptop run with the monitor at 1600x900 and 60hz. That PS3 may be upgraded to a PS4 this fall, but I'm not too sure yet. :P
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: Ultimo on May 24, 2016, 02:34:42 PM
The monitor is an HP S2031 which is 1600x900 and 60hz refresh rate, and the mount is here: http://www.amazon.com/Halter-Articulating-Single-Monitor-Mount/dp/B00K2C3KMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464125493&sr=1-2&keywords=halter+articulating+single+arm
I have temporarily removed the laptop tray, which I originally used for the Intuos tablet.

Both the PS3 and laptop run with the monitor at 1600x900 and 60hz. That PS3 may be upgraded to a PS4 this fall, but I'm not too sure yet. :P
Ah, very nice. My TV could probably run the laptop in native 1600x900, but the taskbar looks too small on my screen (I actually on default have all my web pages zoomed in 125%-150% on Chrome :P).

I've actually been considering about getting a converter that would let me run my composite cables on my GameCube with the component inputs on my TV, but those things are ludicrously expensive (you're better off buying a component cable for your console at that point). Don't think I'll ever upgrade my console, though, I can't justify blowing $60-70 on console games when I can get said games for cheap on Steam. :P

The dream right now is to get a new rig to replace the laptop, one that would be more comfortable being stationary than my laptop. Pretty sure the battery on that thing is close to being shot if it isn't already, but nonetheless it would be nice to have that. Either between a custom PC, or an Alienware Alpha would be nice. Those Alphas are absolute console killers if you get the highest one which is still around $2k. Laptop GPUs, but still really nice.

May 24, 2016, 06:49:10 PM #19 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:54:45 AM by SamRussell
Quote from: Gold Man on May 24, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
The dream right now is to get a new rig to replace the laptop

Hi, i'm somewhat new here but I would recommend Building your own PC :tu:, with stuff like the new GTX 1070/80 cards coming out this month a "console-crushing" PC is becoming much easier to get tbh. I would never getting an Alienware due to them having  :censored: PSUs and being vastly overpriced.

Anyway, my setup is as follows

GPU : GTX 760
CPU : I7 4790k
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance
CASE : Corsair 500R

Quote from: Gold Man on May 24, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
Don't think I'll ever upgrade my console, though, I can't justify blowing $60-70 on console games when I can get said games for cheap on Steam. :P

I understand. Personally, I might upgrade simply because of College, in where I can have a system that easily does local multiplayer, for Me, roommate, and some friends, and it's also a system that people will be familiar with. If I can upgrade to the PS4 from the lowest end PS3 that I have, for no more than $200, I think it's something for Me to consider.
The Gamecube is great! I'm actually trying to sell mine right now for a bit more college money. I don't expect to get a lot from it, but every little bit helps...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: SamRussell on May 24, 2016, 06:49:10 PM
Hi, i'm somewhat new here but I would recommend Building your own PC :tu:, with stuff like the new GTX 1070/80 cards coming out this month a "console-crushing" PC is becoming much easier to get tbh. I would never getting an Alienware due to them having  :censored: PSUs and being vastly overpriced.

I agree with building your own PC. However, keep in mind that by doing this you are the O.E.M (Original Equipment Manufacturer) therefore you must be ready to understand that you are the man to find and fix it if an issue comes by. It's good to have some knowledge of PC hardware, software and the code behind it all in order to find the issue and possibly help fix it. You can still visit a PC store though, but I'd rather fix it for free in an hour than fix it for £50 - £150 in a week. Plus, you'd know your system more when building it yourself (layout, file locations, how it acts etc). Most of you all probably know this already but I'm just making sure.

I would never getting an Alienware due to them having  :censored: PSUs and being vastly overpriced.

Just don't get an Alienware end of. It's a suicide mission  :rofl:

I wouldn't recommend ANY products by Razor either. Their mouse pads are okay but their hardware life span is shockingly bad. I'd rather have a default Dell keyboard for £3 that lasts years than some £60 keyboard that lasts a few months.

PS: Avoid "Second Hand" products.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on May 25, 2016, 09:19:17 AM

Pretty much somes it up  :tu:

Does this also include the Steam machines?
I'm not sure because I have heard several good things about them. And they are Alienware, so relevant.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Ultimo on May 25, 2016, 11:03:53 AM
Does this also include the Steam machines?
I'm not sure because I have heard several good things about them. And they are Alienware, so relevant.

All of the Steam Machines are not all that great tbh, the best option is always gonna be building your own, which can be learnt pretty quick with the magic of the internet

Quote from: SamRussell on May 25, 2016, 11:25:47 AM
the best option is always gonna be building your own, which can be learnt pretty quick with the magic of the internet

agreed. I wouldv'e built a laptop from scratch, but I've got little patience for it...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I agree with building your own PC. However, keep in mind that by doing this you are the O.E.M (Original Equipment Manufacturer) [...]

I wouldn't recommend ANY products by Razor either. Their mouse pads are okay [...]
PS: Avoid "Second Hand" products. [...]

My kids all have home built machines.  They either helped build them or they did it all themselves, it's great.  EXCEPT for one, we spent countless days on it over a year and never got it to work right.  Every component was a well known brand, NIB, and still never got it right.  Every component was swapped with varying levels of failure.  Some combinations would let us load windows 7, some win8, and even log in once or twice before crashing and had to start over.  Without spares of everything, we would had no idea what component was working or not.

I love my razor keyboard pad / mouse pad!

It is hard to beat the price of some of the used Lenovo and Dell corporate desktops on ebay. They aren't exactly built for gaming, but they are really easy to work on and super cheap.

Now, where did that wabbit go... ?   :shrug:

Anyway, my setup is as follows

GPU : GTX 760
CPU : I7 4790k
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance
CASE : Corsair 500R
While that may be true, perhaps I don't stress enough that I'm a Canadian, so a "console-crushing" PC is actually fairly hard to come by out here, especially if you don't have enough money for it. Guarantee the $500 gaming rig build in USD is going to cost $800+ CDN. Plus, I don't have near the amount of money to afford a DIY PC build if I were to climb to a GTX 1070/80, nor do I even have money for a DIY build for gaming (I mean, I do have money for a DIY build, but it'll play Minesweeper, and that's about it :P).

While true that Alienware's are overpriced in some regard, I think their Alphas are decently priced for the Canadian currency. As it stands, I don't play triple-A titles a whole lot (mainly due to hardware constraints, but also cost), so something like an Alpha would be beneficial for me. Wouldn't use a Steam machine though since I have quite a few non-Steam games I regularly play such as the Battlefronts and the odd downloaded-from-browser game that I have.

May 25, 2016, 12:44:06 PM #28 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:43:01 PM by {Alpha}Drunken_Master
Quote from: Gold Man on May 25, 2016, 12:14:18 PM
[...] perhaps I don't stress enough that I'm a Canadian

I didn't know Canadians could stress at all   :o   :D

One thing is becoming painfully clear; everyone's setup seems a lot cleaner than mine!  Some of you may hate me for this, but I'm so cluttered, I just found two brand new in box 24" monitors in a pile of stuff I completely forgot about!

Quote from: {Alpha}Drunken_Master on May 25, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
I just found two brand new in box 24" monitors in a pile of stuff I completely forgot about!

I can send you my mailing address and 20$ for one of those. Sound good? :P
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper