3d Modeling [Work In Progress... forever]

Started by tirpider, June 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 13, 2013, 02:30:11 AM #60 Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:56:31 PM by tirpider
I did not make this model, but I'm doing a lot of work on it.  It is the prop gaffi stick from the shipped addon assets.

I wanted to simply reskin it, but in order to do that I had to rip it apart and put it back together in a certain order, then move the UV islands around.

If all that were happening inside XSI or another model editor, I wouldn't mention it cause it would be an hour or so and done. Instead, I'm doing it blindly via a commandline tool "by the numbers".

Perhaps I can use that as an excuse for the low-Q texture and the fact that it has eaten 3 days.

I present you with a proper Tusken gaderffi:
[spoiler]

(a bit of trivia: melee weapons work without a hardpoint, a dummyroot, or collisions. But I'll still be adding them to be consistent.)[/spoiler]

I tried making the blades doublesided via the material, but it looks clear blue in the unit select screen. So, for that I will probably be forced to use XSI to make the other side (just like the unit kamas.)

For the texture, I tracked down a pretty totokia on an auction site, and did the ball, spike and upper shaft with that. The metal is from some pd templates. It will improve before loosing it on the world.

Can't wait to get hit in the head with it! :)

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I think, unit kamas, at least BF2 converted, dosn't have double sides. They just have hard edged double transparecy (04 00 00 00 14), which maybe well recognized, by startup screen.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

nice at also finally a tusken melee weap that isnt floating just outta his hand xD also very nice model luke looks funky with it

Quote from: Sereja on July 12, 2013, 10:51:27 AM
Hope this skin, darky enough, for Kit Fisto:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
That picture is epic.

Kit Fisto: "Is that from Battlefront?"

Sereja: "Yes it is!"

Kit Fisto:

I am now as excited for your Utapau map as much as I'm excited for SWBFR. (Utapau being one of my top 5 favorite SWBFII maps and the 212 being my favorite clone legion)

Really though that looks like it will be an epic SWBF experience!

Tirpider that gaderffi looks amazing. Very good job! It's time the tusken raiders got the royal treatment in Battlefront. They are, after all, the non playable class everyone wished was playable. ;)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 13, 2013, 08:43:53 AM
That picture is epic.

Kit Fisto: "Is that from Battlefront?"

Sereja: "Yes it is!"

Kit Fisto:

I am now as excited for your Utapau map as much as I'm excited for SWBFR. (Utapau being one of my top 5 favorite SWBFII maps and the 212 being my favorite clone legion)

Really though that looks like it will be an epic SWBF experience!

Tirpider that gaderffi looks amazing. Very good job! It's time the tusken raiders got the royal treatment in Battlefront. They are, after all, the non playable class everyone wished was playable. ;)
its playable, it just requires modding

Quote from: Sereja on July 13, 2013, 05:03:45 AM
I think, unit kamas, at least BF2 converted, dosn't have double sides. They just have hard edged double transparecy (04 00 00 00 14), which maybe well recognized, by startup screen.

Some 3rd party kamas are like that, but the stock units for BF1 with kamas (arc trooper and imp snow trooper) have a front and back sandwiched together. 

The trouble with that method is that sometimes they are "too close" and you can see a little bit of glitchyness on the surface as the game struggles to figure out which face to render or not render.

I tried Hard Edge, and it works perfect. Thanks for pointing it out, Sereja. :)
That saves me a bit of work in XSI. (I'm still terrible at using that program, but learning more every day.)

Quote from: Ltin on July 13, 2013, 10:13:06 AM
its playable, it just requires modding
Yea I know. But I meant it as if you couldn't mod the game. :shrug:

sorry for post such a question here but is it possible to have a envmap in Battlefront 1?Because i experiment alot and learn from this topic.There is alot of interesting things.Most of them i try in BF2 and they work perfect.But in BF1 its seems that nothing can't work.

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27355

No. Enviromaps dosn't work's for SWBF1.
Still, there exist working bump, specularity and glass. They just can't be mixed.
Here is my tutorial about glass making:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ea17f0502578eeef215ff4e3ff5711f&topic=4785.0
and some exploration by tirpider, which I derailed anyway, I guess... :P
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ea17f0502578eeef215ff4e3ff5711f&topic=6091.0

Some WIP Sail Barge upgrade:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: Sereja on September 14, 2013, 02:42:20 AM
Some WIP Sail Barge upgrade:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
YAY! I was getting no where with the edit I was doing.. :P
I absolutely love the barges.. The one scene in the movie could be an epic map just by itself...

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on September 14, 2013, 01:04:51 PM
YAY! I was getting no where with the edit I was doing.. :P
I absolutely love the barges.. The one scene in the movie could be an epic map just by itself...
Way ahead of you! http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4394.msg43057#msg43057 Almost a 2 year old topic now!

September 16, 2013, 11:36:44 AM #74 Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:13:14 PM by UNIT 33
Vulcannon [WIP] [Again]

Still in the works... there's plenty to iron out but the skin is pretty much done.