Sound and Smoke effects

Started by KingCurry1717, March 31, 2017, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi yes me again,

So, 2 issues. Issue number 1, I added in several AT-ATs and AT-STs, X-wings, A-wings, and Snowspeeders...however none of them have sounds. After searching around I became confused about what i'm supposed to put where, and how to add in sounds for these various vehicles (and for that matter, more that I have planned for the future).

Issue number 2, Again, after searching high and low for tutorials on how to do this, I came up empty handed, i'm trying to add in permanent smoke and explosion effects. What i'm looking for specifically is like on geonosis and kashyyyk with the random explosions and permanent smoke scattered around. If anyone is able to help me understand how to do both of these, it would be a big help, thanks!  :tu: 
100...200...300...you guys are gonna make me rich ~ Boba Fett

In regards to your sound problem, try putting

OpenAudioStream("sound\\spa.lvl",  "spa")
OpenAudioStream("sound\\hot.lvl", "hot1gcw")

under the OpenAudioStream section of you map's LUA.

I just tried that, and it did not work

April 01, 2017, 06:53:38 AM #3 Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:31:28 AM by swgaming1015
Ok, to get the Hoth vehicles sounds copy "hot.lvl" from Star Wars Battlefront II\Gamedata\data\_lvl_pc\sound

then put the "hot.lvl" in Star Wars Battlefront II\Gamedata\addon\yourmap\data\_LVL_PC\sound

then put

ReadDataFile("dc:sound\\hot.lvl;hot1gcw")

above your sides in your LUA. I think that should give the snowspeeders and ATATs sound.

In regards to the smoke and explosions, I believe that's to do with the "yourmap.fx" file. If you're looking for the effects that appear in the Geonosis and Kashyyyk maps then copy the effects in their .fx files into your map's .fx file. For example if you wanted the scattered smoke on Geonosis to appear in you map put

Effect("FogCloud")
{
   Enable(1);
   Texture("brownmist");
   Range(90.0, 120.0);
   Color(168, 172, 180, 128);
   Velocity(5.0, 0.0);
   Rotation(0.1);
   Height(16.0);
   ParticleSize(28.0);
   ParticleDensity(100.0);
}

in yourmap.fx which should be located in your map's world1 folder.

Ok 2 things,

1, Thank you for the help with getting the hoth sounds, however, does this mean I can create a second ReadDataFile line with the spa.lvl sounds? Or do I have to figure out some way to create a custom lvl file with the space sounds?

2, I was quite (very) vague with what I was asking for the fx. I have gotten the smoke billowing fx from the geonosis file, and while looking at the fx in notepad++, my question is, where it says:

Spawner()
   {
      Spread()
      {
         PositionX(-0.4000,0.4000);
         PositionY(3.0000,4.0000);
         PositionZ(-0.4000,0.4000);

Is that where I need to change it to move it around on the map to my desired location? Thanks!

1. If you want the space vehicles sounds to work you need to copy "spa1.lvl" from Star Wars Battlefront II\Gamedata\data\_lvl_pc\sound

then paste it in Star Wars Battlefront II\Gamedata\addon\yourmap\data\_LVL_PC\sound

and put

ReadDataFile("dc:spa\\spa1.lvl", "spa1_Assult")

in the same place as last time in your LUA. I think that should add the sounds you're looking for. If it doesn't work I would try it with spa2.lvl, spa3.lvl and so on.

2. I don't purport to be an expert when it comes to editing .fx files as I haven't done it extensively. However, it can't hurt to play with the settings there as you can always change them back to their original position.

Ok, so with the spa.lvl file, what you are saying would replace the hoth file (unless i'm reading it wrong) which would remove all sounds that I need from it, from what i've seen, its more than possible to combine space and world sounds (thanks el fabrico for your awesome ground to space maps), so there has to be a way to combine the sound files. By that being asked, is it possible to copy the hoth folder, then drop space files in it, then rename it the initials of my map, and then munge?

April 01, 2017, 03:32:58 PM #7 Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:35:23 PM by swgaming1015
No I don't mean to replace the "hot1.lvl". Can't you have both spa1.lvl and hot1.lvl in your map's sound folder at the same time?

Also, I believe LUAs can load 2 .lvls at once. It would look like this:

ReadDataFile("dc:sound\\hot.lvl;hot1gcw")
ReadDataFile("dc:spa\\spa1.lvl", "spa1_Assult")

April 01, 2017, 03:49:46 PM #8 Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:19:44 PM by KingCurry1717
Ah ok ill try that then!  :D

EDIT: I tried that, and it did not work also, and from what I've seen by poking around (note, still do not understand anything that was said :/) there is a way to drop certain files into a sound folder?

Actually, you're right. Sorry I made that mistake. The game cannot load 2 different sound.lvl files at the same time. So you will either have to munge a new sound.lvl or go without sound for either the hoth vehicles or the space vehicles. Here's a tutorial for adding missing sounds to all vehicles:

http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4750

Again, thank you so much, however, unless i'm a complete idiot, after trying the steps given to the T several times, I could never get the lvl file for my world, let alone the sounds in the game, I will again try to get the sounds to work, however, I may have to ask someone to possibly make one for me as its become...annoying.  :cheers: