Nearly entire universe of Star Wars now non-canon

Started by Roxas, April 25, 2014, 08:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Syyy on April 28, 2014, 10:07:34 AM
Alright, heres my opinion on the matter. ( I might be wrong, I might not please you )

I was not that alarmed by this anouncement concerning some parts of the EU. I might miss Thrawn, the Skywalker's legacy, Boba Fett. I'm somewhat happy that Chewbacca won't die because they threw a moon at him, Darth Sidious' clones, and his 3-eyed sons are questionable events. Some parts of the EU needed cleanup because it was - to me - very unlikely in the Star Wars Universe ( Yhuuzan Vongs? ).
I'll whole heartedly agree that was the primary problem with 60% of the ex-EU, so much of it was just tonally wrong, the design was often all over the place and didn't fit the basic template established on screen.

But it redeemed itself on many occasions, Thrawn is often cited as well as Mara or Kyle Katarn... a lot of the books/comics/graphic novels were absolutely grand reads

They had a video from the star wars youtube channel that depcited what some of the people from lucas film liked about the EU. Soemthing that troubles me is that they showed off a lot of good stuff thats potential going to be made un canon like kotor and The force unleashed. I may not have liked all the Eu, but it did have its moments of glory and great story telling.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

April 28, 2014, 01:57:25 PM #32 Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:24:39 PM by Unit 33
Oh here we go, more clarification from Disney:

"All Star Wars games, comics, novels and other expanded media have been designated non-canon by Lucasfilm.

In a newly published statement on the matter, Lucasfilm makes it unequivocal that there are only seven products in the Star Wars universe that should be considered canon; the six films, along with The Clone Wars TV show.
It means that the dozens of Star Wars games and their stories are not considered integral to the overall plot. Games such as BioWare's seminal Knights of the Old Republic, along with LucasArts' own The Force Unleashed, are categorically disconnected to the films.

"While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the expanded universe consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon," reads an official blog post on the matter.

"This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align."However, the corporation has pledged to draw a line under the matter, claiming that future expanded media will be better integrated with the future films. That could include the upcoming games in development across EA.

"Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic instalments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected," the corporation said.

"Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development."

Kennedy said the company has "an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon".

Quote from: hellish hellbird on April 28, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
Do they mean the 2003 clone wars too?

Eeyup.

I'm sad that they discarded TFU and Darth Plagueis. TFU had great potential and it's a story arc they never, ever finished and now they never will.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: hellish hellbird on April 28, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
Do they mean the 2003 clone wars too?

Well, it said "THE Clone Wars", not "Clone Wars", so I'd assume the '03 series is now considered non-canon as well. Sorry. :(

I'l admit, I never was a fan of the old Clone Wars series at first, but after my brother got involved watching the episodes on YouTube, I decided to watch it myself. It had a unique design, however it wasn't quite my cup of tea story-line wise, even though it did connect Episodes 2 and 3 nicely.

can i ask for permission from someone to post links about why this was a horrible idea? it has like swearing in it so thats why im asking... but its really relevant to this whole thing

Quote from: Unit 33 on April 28, 2014, 01:57:25 PM
It means that the dozens of Star Wars games and their stories are not considered integral to the overall plot. Games such as BioWare's seminal Knights of the Old Republic, along with LucasArts' own The Force Unleashed, are categorically disconnected to the films.
Maaaaan....
Quote from: ggctuk2005 on April 28, 2014, 02:47:37 PM
Eeyup.

I'm sad that they discarded TFU and Darth Plagueis. TFU had great potential and it's a story arc they never, ever finished and now they never will.
IKR?!?

-------------------------------------------
My Opinion:

Well, it could go either way, it seems to have it's ups and downs. On the plus side the new EU will be a lot more streamlined. However old favorites such as The Thrawn Trilogy, KotOR, Republic Commando, TFU and maybe even SWTOR will no longer be considered part of the "Official" Star Wars Universe.  But if you think about it, the old EU didn't die (see my earlier rant), it just got rebooted. There's the classic SW universe we know and love, the "Legends" universe, if you will, and then there's the new Universe that will be (hopefully), just as good if not better. Think of it like Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. Let's just hope Disney doesn't screw it up.

Just say goodbye to the ever loved jedi hutt.. Lel

Quote from: hellish hellbird on April 28, 2014, 03:22:35 PM
can i ask for permission from someone to post links about why this was a horrible idea? it has like swearing in it so thats why im asking... but its really relevant to this whole thing

Just please put a warning in the post before the link.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcXyZn9xjg[/spoiler] if you can stand some vulgarity then watch that video but on a related note watch this video for star wars greatness :D