Nearly entire universe of Star Wars now non-canon

Started by Roxas, April 25, 2014, 08:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on April 26, 2014, 08:20:57 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

That makes so much sense!

Come to think of it, what if they did like a Star Wars meets Disney (live-action meets animation) sort of thing for an episode/movie? Let it be only on TV, of course.
I think that would be rather interesting. Imagine it like the Who Framed Roger Rabbit movie. Except all the animated characters would be Disney characters and the live-action would be Star Wars characters.
Honestly I would watch that. I kinda enjoy "crossover"(for lack of a better word) movies.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: tirpider on April 26, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
2 things:
(Still better than the young Anakin force ghost at the end of Jedi.)
I'll see your 2 things and raise you 3 things:
[spoiler]

Suncrusher

That time Luke Skywalker turned to the Darkside.

That time the Emperor came back as a clone(s).
[/spoiler]

Quote from: Unit 33 on April 26, 2014, 12:02:54 PM
I'll see your 2 things and raise you 3 things:
[spoiler]

Suncrusher

That time Luke Skywalker turned to the Darkside.

That time the Emperor came back as a clone(s).
[/spoiler]

Ill see your sun crusher and raise you a waru http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru

I'm still laughing over Skippy the Jedi Droid... poor Skippy  :bye:
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on April 26, 2014, 04:31:05 AM
I think it was always going to happen so that the new films wouldn't have too many background details to worry about but it does annoy me that 30+ years of books and comics probably won't be continued.

As much as I hate what has happened, I kind of think the opposite of what you said. Maybe this will break the rule about mentioning Sev's fate.  I hope that out of this terrible thing we get a final story about him.

April 26, 2014, 09:35:00 PM #20 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:14:25 PM by 411Remnant
 :cheers:
Well its not such a bad thing. The EU needed some much needed cleaning anyway. Its mostly ROTJ stuff thats pretty much out the window. Bane is still canon incase you didnt see him in that clone wars story arc with yoda that appeared on netflix, its not like every single EU is gone.

lol....cloned palpitine...yeah thats one thing im not going to personaly miss anytime soon.(With respect to those whom liked that storie. Just wasn't my cup of tea)
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

April 26, 2014, 10:12:34 PM #22 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:17:51 PM by 411Remnant
How so? Becuase I appreciate and welcome new experiences? Becuase I want stories that dont rehash super weapons and jedi extinction/return of the sith over and over? (Though that is respectfully just a few of them, not all Eu). That being said, there was some respectful things about EU, espcially for those authors with didnt go crazy overboard with the original material.

Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

not in the movies, didnt happen
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

April 26, 2014, 10:26:39 PM #24 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:28:37 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: 411Remnant on April 26, 2014, 09:35:00 PM
cloned palpitine... just wasn't my cup of tea)
No argument here. Probably one of the more ridiculous things folks have tried to make starwars into.. Probably some unpaid book writer's intern.

Also, Ecko, I think that's a bit rash.. Theres a whole bunch that George wasn't able to produce as movies (seriously, a lot), so now his starwars universe doesn't exist because he didn't make a movie out of it?

ill just do a quick reason as to why its bad. general grevious in episode 3 revenge of the sith was coughing up a lung. in the television series the clone wars in like 2003 its showed that his lungs got force crushed by mace windu. because everything is now noncanon that whole reason for him coughing up a lung no longer exists so now hes just doin that causes no reason

Quote from: hellish hellbird on April 26, 2014, 10:39:02 PM
ill just do a quick reason as to why its bad. general grevious in episode 3 revenge of the sith was coughing up a lung. in the television series the clone wars in like 2003 its showed that his lungs got force crushed by mace windu. because everything is now noncanon that whole reason for him coughing up a lung no longer exists so now hes just doin that causes no reason
Uh-huh. To someone like me who thinks that show and the newer show are complete balls I am still unconvinced as to how this is bad.

Well here's the thing, there's no reason the new EU won't simply rehash some of the older stories, but just in a more refined circumspect way.
I doubt they're just going to make stuff up.

April 28, 2014, 10:07:34 AM #28 Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:19:26 AM by Syyy
Alright, heres my opinion on the matter. ( I might be wrong, I might not please you )

I was not that alarmed by this anouncement concerning some parts of the EU. I might miss Thrawn, the Skywalker's legacy, Boba Fett. I'm somewhat happy that Chewbacca won't die because they threw a moon at him, Darth Sidious' clones, and his 3-eyed sons are questionable events. Some parts of the EU needed cleanup because it was - to me - very unlikely in the Star Wars Universe ( Yhuuzan Vongs? ). Remnant sums it up :

Quote from: 411Remnant on April 26, 2014, 10:12:34 PM
I want stories that dont rehash super weapons and jedi extinction/return of the sith over and over? [...] there was some respectful things about EU, espcially for those authors with didnt go crazy overboard with the original material.

" Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens. " ( source )

To me, it would have been a disappointment if the next trilogy was based on the EU, because there will always be people not satisfied with the adaptation ( Harry Potter books and films are two different things ). It's better for Abrams to propose a new story ( not so new since Star Wars was supposed to be in three trilogies, thus maybe there was some plans already done for this one ). Expanded Universe can still be in another timeline and be a source of entertainment.

Quote from: hellish hellbird on April 26, 2014, 10:39:02 PM
because everything is now noncanon that whole reason (  his lungs got force crushed by mace windu ) for him coughing up a lung no longer exists so now hes just doin that causes no reason

"He - Lucas - set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. [...] Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected.". This is what makes me sad. Even early-Star Wars events are discarded. While I don't like the post-BY EU, I thind pre-Phantom Menace ( Origins of the force, Revan, Bane, Mandalorians... ) extremely well written, and I don't think there will be any better plot of this era ( and the Lucasfilm Story Group wouldn't create content contradicting this part of the EU ).

One thing : All upcoming content will fit the next Star Wars films' storyline. I think this choice has not been made in one day. If they thought about it for some time, it might explain why announced games ( 1313, Battlefront 3 ( Free Radical ), Damage ) were cancelled. LucasFilm is going to keep control on the story told by future games. Thus why our long-awaited third opus took so much time to come out. Or why Star Wars 1313 ( being about Boba Fett in the depths of Coruscant - how exciting it would have been! ) is not happening. ( The cancelled Darth Maul & Darth Krayt game aswel )

Welp, that was long and I'm starting to get confused by what I want to say.

I think the new canon should be treated like a reboot, something like this:

"Classic" Star Wars:
Episodes I-VI
Old EU
Some elements of The Clone Wars

"Reboot" Star Wars:
Episodes I-IX
The Clone Wars & Rebels
New EU