[HELP] XSI 7.5 not launching

Started by {TCE}Call-of-Duty, September 28, 2013, 12:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
whenever i try to launch XSI it doesn't do anything 3and no matter how many times i try to open it it doesn't launch can someone help
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Need to know what OS you are running it on.

If it's Vista/7/8, have you tried running it as administrator?

I am unsure if 64-bit makes a difference or has any special needs.

Does it give you any error messages when you try to start it?

September 28, 2013, 02:26:24 PM #2 Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:31:48 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
7 Home Premium 64bit, no error messages and i haven't tried running as a administrator

EDIT: just tried as a admin, didn't work

September 28, 2013, 03:19:47 PM #3 Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:00:34 PM by tirpider
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on September 28, 2013, 02:26:24 PM
7 Home Premium 64bit, no error messages and i haven't tried running as a administrator

EDIT: just tried as a admin, didn't work

Well, rats.
7 Home Premium 64bit puts it right out of my realm of experience.

If someone is running XSI on Win 7, or even 64-Bit, this would be an excellent time to share any tips.

-edit
Found a relevant thread on the autodesk forums:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Microsoft-XNA/Installation-problem-with-Win-7-64-bit/td-p/4190593

The suggestion that helped was to try installing it with UAC turned off.

From the thread:
QuoteI had to turn it off, then reboot the computer, install with admin privilleges, and then the mod tool works. I've left UAC off for now, I'm not sure if I could turn it back on or not.

However there was another person with the same problem, and the advice didn't help them.

As a side note, I am unfamiliar with UAC and how to turn it on or off.. it sounds like a nuisance.
In fact, all the little workarounds, patches, and different version requirements make 64 bit and all windows from vista forward sound like self flagellation.

okay that did it XSI works now, say is there by any chance a XSI addon to open a 3DS/MAX file

October 05, 2013, 08:59:25 AM #5 Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:29:34 PM by tirpider
Cool, I'm glad it is working for you.

I know there is a valve addon, but I believe it's for the 6.1 mod tool.
And you can import .fbx files via import > crosswalk. (it's on the file menu like RC says below.)

But I do not believe there is a 3ds importer for the mod tool, and I'm certain there is no .max importer.

The best path I can think of for 3ds to XSI is to open the 3ds in Noesis and export it as fbx.
You will most likely have to play around with the materials, but the UV's should transfer.

Alternatively, you could export directly from 3D studio to xsi or fbx. (if you have 3d studio)

is there a link for crosswalk

October 05, 2013, 09:32:29 AM #7 Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:35:02 AM by -RepublicCommando-
Actually Cross walk is right under Import and Export Buttons.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
--
I use cross walk to get DAE from Google Sketchup (sometimes OBJ files just don't cut it..), but you will need to remake the materials in XSI, because for some reason, it imports a Lambert Material Type.
Battlefront likes using 'Phong' type materials.

Generally, its best just to recreate the materials, because it's so easy.

Okay i'll just recreate the models but the prob is i've had ZEtools and Python for so long I kinda, sorta forgooooot how to instal... those...... things