SWBF violence?

Started by Black Water, September 30, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, Joseph, that's what I meant. Here is a list of pros and cons of the game's material:

Pros.

A. The game has no blood.
       B. No abusive language unless online (If this is a problem use PLA server, they are moderated.)   
       C. Respawning, that's when if you die and then you come back to life. Artificial Intelligence does it, too.

Cons.

A. Online language abuse. But, like I stated above, PLA is moderated.
        B. The game is still killing, but the respawn issue may take that concern out.

This list is to any parent who questions this game. I think this game is good for people who are mature.
      The SWBF Gamers servers may be moderated, but I am not sure.                       

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Josh on October 26, 2012, 03:34:15 PM
Yes, Joseph, that's what I meant. Here is a list of pros and cons of the game's material:

Pros.

A. The game has no blood.
       B. No abusive language unless online (If this is a problem use PLA server, they are moderated.)   
       C. Respawning, that's when if you die and then you come back to life. Artificial Intelligence does it, too.

Cons.

A. Online language abuse. But, like I stated above, PLA is moderated.
        B. The game is still killing, but the respawn issue may take that concern out.

This list is to any parent who questions this game. I think this game is good for people who are mature.
      The SWBF Gamers servers may be moderated, but I am not sure.                     

The respawning can probably be a bad thing too. It could cause the subconscious to see death as not a big deal, like its not the end of the road. Even though everyone logically knows that's not true, still, I think our subconscious is molded by outside influences, rather than us. (Does anyone get what I'm saying? cause its kinda confusing..)
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Thats actually one thing I discussed with myself when I wrote that. I think its not noticeable enough to make anyone think that, but yet still not exactly killing. Plus I believe the HUMAN life is most important and like I stated earlier, I believe they are more closer to alien then human.

Quote from: Josh on October 26, 2012, 06:16:46 PM
Thats actually one thing I discussed with myself when I wrote that. I think its not noticeable enough to make anyone think that, but yet still not exactly killing. Plus I believe the HUMAN life is most important and like I stated earlier, I believe they are more closer to alien then human.

This is true. I guess it would be up to each person's discretion. Since kids usually don't have great discretion, that's probably why most parents are so worried about this stuff. I think everyone should be able to know when they need to take a break from violent video games. I usually play 1-2 hrs
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on October 26, 2012, 06:42:22 PM
I think everyone should be able to know when they need to take a break from violent video games. I usually play 1-2 hrs
I agree with the majority of what you've said, but I have to quibble a bit here. While I agree that one should limit the amount of time playing a game (or watching TV, or reading, or eating, or most anything), it is not because the game is "violent". If the game is violent to a point that you find objectionable, then you should not play it ever. If you are not bothered by the "violence" in the game, as I'm sure is the case for the majority of SWBF players, then there's no inherent need to limit your exposure to it beyond the usual reasons.

Exposure to violence is not an inherently bad thing. In some cases it can be good, or at least advisable. Ignorance about violent acts can be even more detrimental to the sanity of society than knowledge thereof. As an example, the nightly news should show images of humans killed in the Middle East as a result of our military intervention. When people are coddled and kept ignorant about these things, it leads to apathy. The road to fascism is paved by apathy.

Quote from: Joseph on October 26, 2012, 11:30:10 PM
I agree with the majority of what you've said, but I have to quibble a bit here. While I agree that one should limit the amount of time playing a game (or watching TV, or reading, or eating, or most anything), it is not because the game is "violent". If the game is violent to a point that you find objectionable, then you should not play it ever. If you are not bothered by the "violence" in the game, as I'm sure is the case for the majority of SWBF players, then there's no inherent need to limit your exposure to it beyond the usual reasons.

Exposure to violence is not an inherently bad thing. In some cases it can be good, or at least advisable. Ignorance about violent acts can be even more detrimental to the sanity of society than knowledge thereof. As an example, the nightly news should show images of humans killed in the Middle East as a result of our military intervention. When people are coddled and kept ignorant about these things, it leads to apathy. The road to fascism is paved by apathy.

Agreed, well said

It's not like exposure to killing is bad (depends on the age) Like I stated above "the question should be, Should I enjoy killing" The exposure to it may be fine, but, is it really good to enjoy killing?

Quote from: Josh on October 27, 2012, 06:40:35 AM
It's not like exposure to killing is bad (depends on the age) Like I stated above "the question should be, Should I enjoy killing" The exposure to it may be fine, but, is it really good to enjoy killing?

Well if you cont like the violence in COD or SWBF then there is 1 solution... Simply dont play those types of games... Most video games these days have violence, Lego Indiana Jones is an example.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: 501stComSharpshot on October 27, 2012, 07:38:49 AM
Well if you cont like the violence in COD or SWBF then there is 1 solution... Simply dont play those types of games... Most video games these days have violence, Lego Indiana Jones is an example.
You can't be serious if Lego games are violent then society is officially screwed. Oh wait it is already as you were. But in Lego games, you yourself can't ever die you will always re-spawn. Even enemies usually re-spawn. And they are well Lego Minfigures not representations of humans. They may have the smellest amount of violence in but that is a tiny amount.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 27, 2012, 04:07:33 PM
You can't be serious if Lego games are violent then society is officially screwed. Oh wait it is already as you were. But in Lego games, you yourself can't ever die you will always re-spawn. Even enemies usually re-spawn. And they are well Lego Minfigures not representations of humans. They may have the smellest amount of violence in but that is a tiny amount.
Yes but its still there...
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: 501stComSharpshot on October 27, 2012, 04:15:37 PM
Hahaha, Lego games are rated E. For EVERYONE. LOL.  :rofl:
Not trying to start a fight :whip:

October 27, 2012, 06:31:58 PM #86 Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:18:13 PM by Josh

Quote from: 501stComSharpshot on October 27, 2012, 04:15:37 PM

You gotta be kidding me, lego games are fine. No violence whatsoever. Army men toys cause more violence. I have rollercoaster games where coasters crash and people die( it is fun to do it on purpose) and its rated E!

Outside of puzzle or race games, you will be hard pressed to find a competative game without some violent elements.

Even chess carries a sort of passive aggresive violence in that it is a combative stratagy game, teaching elements of sacrifice, flanking and such.

But even without a war metaphore, compatition itself is aggressive. Anytime you 'win' or prosper via putting someone else down or via your competators suffering or loss, then you have engaged in an aggressive activity.

Not exacly violent in the context of this thread, but with simular overtones.

hmm...
Off topic, but how about a non-violent mod... Stormtroopers and Rebels chase rainbows, and at the end of the match, everyone wins.

October 27, 2012, 06:54:10 PM #88 Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:33:24 PM by Josh
Actually, tirpider the first racing game I glanced at after I saw that, was rated, " E mild violence." And my rollercoaster game is pretty much a puzzle, strategy game!!! 

heh, well I was thinking more along the lines of "Candy Lane" and "Snakes and Ladders" type race games.
The auto race video games these days deliberatly showcase the crashes.
Real crashes are everything but entertaining, especially when fatal.

But it's easy to over think things and blow them out of proportion.
How interesting would the entertainment industry be without violence?

I really don't think hollywood would have picked up at all if everything were as tame as The Andy Griffith show or My Three Sons.

One could argue that the more violent our media and entertainment becomes, then the more violent the world becomes. But it doesn't hold water, as our world has always been a violent place, throughout recorded history.

The best we can do is to put our minds to become better people and to help others do the same. But that is an active decision on the part of the individual, and not something a game, movie, or story is going to change.

Quote from: Joseph on October 26, 2012, 11:30:10 PMWhen people are coddled and kept ignorant about these things, it leads to apathy. The road to fascism is paved by apathy.

The images in our media can remind us of just how bad things can become or have been.

When I would get home from my overnight job, stocking shelves, I would tell my wife I was going to go into a murderous rage. She knew it meant I was going to play Battlefront.  Taken out of context, you might think I was a nut. But the realtiy is, my wife and I are very gentle people.  That doesn't stop us from enjoying Movies, games, or television with vile or violent content.  It's just stories.

I think most folks, particularly young people, learn how to behave through actual interactions with other people.  The most influence a video game could have (in my opinion...) would be simular to sports. Learning sportsmanship and fraternity through clan wars and online competition.  How to talk smack before a match and such.  I've got several hours in FPS type games, but if I found myself in a combat situation... well.. It would be bad for me.  There is more reality to those sorts of activities than what is presented on the screen, reality that could only be learned via hands on training.

Some folks will mimic bits of dialog or actions with others, but thats more of a coloqueal sharing of common ideals. Like all those Austin Powers quotes everyone threw around when it was new. I've never once seen a Grand Theft Auto style carjacking while waking to the store.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the violence in games will be there, we can't stop it. And SWBF 1 and 2 are pretty tame compared to the rest. I see no problems with it at all.