SWBF violence?

Started by Black Water, September 30, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorta off topic, but relevant, I think..

Is it possible that the violence in the games, and the effects it may or may not have on one's psyche are just a convienient excuse?

I'm suggesting that perhaps the parental wish to restrict game exposure may be more about practicing a more balanced lifestyle.

Lots of folks engage in behaviours that, when taken to extremes, can lead to tragic or criminal concequences.
But when used with self moderation, are fine, and can even be seen as recreational.

For example, not all hunters become serial killers.  Not all people at the bar are alcoholics.  Not all punk rockers become violent anarchists bent on taking the system down.

Video games, like many things, can become compulsory and addictive behaviours, that if left unchecked, can have an impact (greater than one might think) on one's life.  When a game becomes more important than real world tasks, such as domestic chores, social contacts, work, ect, that seems (to me) like the 'dangerous place' where the imagry of the game would have more influence on the thoughts and actions of the player.

Sorry if that goes sideways to the conversation, but it seems relevant.

I don't think video games have the ability to turn people into remorseless blood-thirsty killers any more than horror and action films do, and I agree with tirpider, the most dangerous thing about them is their ability to distract from social life.
When there are cases of the media doing their best to blame video games for violence in youths it is just scapegoating, usually these kids will have underlining issues already and gaming just made them more creative.

Hi all, I dont really post on here too often but this topic caught my interest.

I grew up playing violent video games, Wolfenstein, Doom, ROTT etc from about 8 or 9 years of age, with my parents consent. It was always agreed that more than an hour of play was considered excessive at that age and other options for entertainment were made available for me. I also played more wholesome games which time limits were not as strictly enforced. Now many moons later, as a parent to a 4 yr old, I find myself tackling this issue of what are appropriate games for him to play. My son has grown up around SWBF all his life, from him sitting on my lap having a bottle, to now, starting up the game, choosing maps, and, if I may say, playing with a great deal of skill for someone his age. Given the lack of blood and gore in SWBF, normally associated with FPS, I see no problem with him playing it, as long as it is supervised and time limits enforced. However games containing graphic imagery(TF2, COD, Postal 2 etc) are all safely hidden in folders.

I guess my point is(I do have one), as long as gameplay is supervised, bloody imagery off limits for very young players, I see no concern with violent games.

Lol, i like your name Allanon, it's from the Shannara books right? Awesome books!
Do you also read those kind of books? Because if so...all is forgiven about violent games

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Indeed that is where my name is from, love those books. Ive missed some of the newer ones however. Almost convinced the missus to name our son Allanon :D(My dogs name is Risca :D)

Allanon is that why you never talk in game? Because your child is playin? :P

I think, if the parents, do not want, they child, grow up, as serial killer, they need just spent more free time with him, sattle friendly relationships, respect his hobby, try to interesting his life, and be intersting for him.
In this case, family relationships, and morality, will be much important for him, then any game, or whatever he may see on tv, or elsewhere.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: {212}Mart on October 26, 2012, 03:42:10 AM
Allanon is that why you never talk in game? Because your child is playin? :P

I'm sorry Mart, but i'd be more upset with the fact i've been killed by a 4 year old :P

And to Sereja i agree that parents should be more concerned about their child hobby and everything surrounding it. After all...you should know what you've started if you want a child.
But i have to disagree on the fact that in the way discribed, the child will grow up to be a serial killer. Because if it was as easy as mentioned...a lot of people are serial killer nowadays...

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Tri you have the best point. Like Allan I have grown up with an hour a day unless I read. More I read more I play. I am now an exalent reader. (but somehow still poor in grammer)

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Allanon on October 26, 2012, 02:50:15 AM
Hi all, I dont really post on here too often but this topic caught my interest.

I grew up playing violent video games, Wolfenstein, Doom, ROTT etc from about 8 or 9 years of age, with my parents consent. It was always agreed that more than an hour of play was considered excessive at that age and other options for entertainment were made available for me. I also played more wholesome games which time limits were not as strictly enforced. Now many moons later, as a parent to a 4 yr old, I find myself tackling this issue of what are appropriate games for him to play. My son has grown up around SWBF all his life, from him sitting on my lap having a bottle, to now, starting up the game, choosing maps, and, if I may say, playing with a great deal of skill for someone his age. Given the lack of blood and gore in SWBF, normally associated with FPS, I see no problem with him playing it, as long as it is supervised and time limits enforced. However games containing graphic imagery(TF2, COD, Postal 2 etc) are all safely hidden in folders.

I guess my point is(I do have one), as long as gameplay is supervised, bloody imagery off limits for very young players, I see no concern with violent games.
I think that's pretty cool that your 4yr. old son can play SWBF! That means that if you have 2 computers you can play together through LAN! Endless fun!!!!
Just don't tell him about mods/maps or else he will be addicted. Like me...  :XD:

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 26, 2012, 06:23:10 AM

Just don't tell him about mods/maps or else he will be addicted. Like me...  :XD:
Or the mod maps will wreck your computer, like me

mod maps dont wreck your computer..

October 26, 2012, 07:50:00 AM #72 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:54:47 AM by Josh
Have you seen my computer... 

my computer is so bad restarting it can take a half hour or more.

October 26, 2012, 10:40:04 AM #73 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:44:12 AM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: Josh on October 25, 2012, 08:15:59 PM
Well do the math, how many people play COD, how many people have murdered.

Well, do the math.  How many people consume coffee?  How many people have been murdered?

The point is that this is a terribly flawed statement and that you are trying to imply causation from the air.

October 26, 2012, 11:52:55 AM #74 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:57:23 AM by Joseph
Quote from: BlackScorpion on October 26, 2012, 10:40:04 AM
Well, do the math.  How many people consume coffee?  How many people have been murdered?

The point is that this is a terribly flawed statement and that you are trying to imply causation from the air.

Indeed, but presumably what he meant was something like the following: "How many players of COD go on to commit a murder?". In which case his point would be entirely legitimate.

I think there are legitimate reasons for criticizing contemporary "war" games on the grounds that they lead to violence. I know the US Army has been involved in the development of one or more of these games. It's interesting how, when FPS games came about, they largely centered on historical wars such as WWII, etc. I find it appalling that nowadays there are many games whose story closely parallels the USA's current exploits overseas, which in reality involves the slaughter of innocents on a semi-regular basis.

This is admittedly speculation, but surely playing these games contribute to the (un?)conscious acceptance of our American foreign policy, which is involved in a large number of murders annually. It's worth investigating and now I'm curious if it has been already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Army
QuoteAmerica's Army (also known as AA or Army Game Project) is a series of video games and other media developed by the United States Army and released as a global public relations initiative to help with recruitment.