So you want to make your own PC Response - Preface

Started by {PLA} Roland, June 12, 2011, 07:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi

Here are some thoughts on making a new pc.... the main thread with the parts list didn't really help me but I hope this extra bit of text may help anyone out there.

Before making a new PC (because it's to slow, or doesn't work well etc)

* Have you checked for viruses and malware.

* Clean out your registry and even try a re-install of everything including the OS.

* Is Ping your problem - if your playing on a server in another continent, upgrading your PC might not help you that much. Your little packets of data have still gotta travel the distance down the phone line. Check that your getting good speeds from your ISP.

* Is it the boot time? Don't upgrade from windows XP on an old machine to Vista or 7. Just because it's the newest release from Bill, doesnt mean it's necessarily for you. Odds are your old PC will struggle with the extra code and your performance will crash.

*If anything, downgrade your software. I have a friend that formats his hard drive as soon as he gets a new PC, and installs windows 95, rather than keep his windows 7. Why? His PC boots in under 5 seconds flat with WIN95. When asked about virus's, his response is "do they make em for windows 95 any more?" Um......maybe, maybe not - Whatever the case this is definitely not recommended if you keep personal data on your PC, but if you use it strictly for surfing the net, put in place some normal anti-virus and firewall protection and are happy to disk kill and re-install if you get an infection......

Next post will be on renovate or detonate -

* Renovate or detonate?

You may be able to boost your existing system performance by simply adding some extra RAM,  a new processor or replacing your video card. To do this, turn off and UNPLUG your desktop from the wall (um, really important that..... unless you want to die) and have a squiz at your motherboard (The thing with all the slots in it) Don't be scared, it won't bite. It will die however if you don't treat it carefully. Try not to shock it with stactic electricity or worse, spill half a mug of coffee on it. Google a few vids on you tube if your a first timer and not sure. Stick in some extra RAM ($50 from newegg or equiv) and see how it goes. If you kill it with the coffee or even stactic electricty....well don't blame me. All care given but no responsibility taken! You will find however that just about everything plugs n plays very easily and the engineers generally (but not always) have fool proof plugs to stop you plugging in something where it shouldn't go.

If you PC is more than 5 years old, then renovating is going to be tough. Your motherboard is unlikely to have the LG1155 socket for new intel chips (or equiv for AMD), not going to cope with the faster DDR 3 Ram chips, and everything is going to be plugged in with IDE ribbon cables (rather than SATA cables). Do your self a favour, buy a new PC. - Yes, you'll save about a $1000 if you build it your self

June 12, 2011, 08:32:44 AM #2 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:04:48 AM by RolandBow
Here is what you'll need;

*new motherboard - Get one of the newer ones with B3 stepping and pay the extra $20 to get one that is capable of working with an unlocked chip. Ensure that it has at least 4 slots for DDR 3 RAM, two or more PCI express ports, at least two SATA 3  connectors (one for your hard drive, one for your back up), 2 or more SATA2 connectors for your other peripherals (you'll need at least one to plug your internal DVD player into) and several USB plugs  - I got a gigabyte GAP67xUD3R-B3 for a bit over $200.

*A new CPU - either AMD or Intel (match it to your motherboard and get the right cpu socket!). I went Intel with an 15 2500k for $220. Note that the k series in Intel gives you the ability to oveclock your chip. You can get an 17 unlocked for about $330, but whats the point unless you use it for work and seriously multi-task. For gaming, a quad core is probably going to suffice because its actually you graphics card that will do most of the heavy lifting. Your processor should come with its own cooling fan in the box :)

* New power supply - Your existing supply in your old pc will be about 300watts, so you will need to upgrade. You will need at least 500watts for your board and another 250w or more for your graphics card. Do not buy a cheap power supply. Be prepared to spend $100 to 150 bucks from a quality manufacturer. Buy cheap and likely, you will get the blue screen of death first time you boot your new pc up. It should come with all the necessary cords and plugs.

* A new case - your new motherboard will be unlikely to fit in that old case - New antec or coolermaster etc for about $100.

* New DVD burner $40.

* New hard drive ( I got a 2GB Western Digital Green for $84) and re-used a 1GB spare from my old machine. Sure, get a solid state disk if you have won the lottery. Note, do not instal your OS on any hard drive greater than 2GB.

* New RAM. I got 4GB's of DDR3 for my 32 bit system for $50 (1333mhz) Sure get 16GB+ at 2133mhz for $100+ if you can afford it and you process a lot of video footage on a 64 bit operating system. I don't however and 4GB is just fine.

* New video card - any of the newer ones with crossfire X or nvidia equiv - don't skimp here, get the best you can afford. Also check the outputs on the card match your existing monitor (RGB, DVI, HDMI).
Be prepared to spend from minimum $150 to $300. Pay much more if you are into graphic intense 3D games. Buy two and link if neccessary.

June 12, 2011, 08:40:39 AM #3 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:03:30 AM by RolandBow
Assembling your PC

Take it slowly, but you will be astounded as to how easy it is. Make sure you plug all your fans into the power supply to keep your machine cool, and make sure that your motherboard is properly supported and fixed into the case, before plugging anything in (to have a good solid foundation). Everything else practically snaps together in under 5 minutes. Install SWBF and have fun. Your new PC's performance will make your old one look like the gutenberg press and your system would have costed less than $1000 (as opposed to $2000 pre-assembled). Mine is currently running at 4.1ghz and thats without manually overclocking - just air cooled and using the motherboard utility straight out of the box.

Use a quad to hex core AMD processor (just as good as Intel) and you may save even more for just as good performance. Buy all of your stuff on line to save heaps (obviously from reputable stores only that you can trust) and also look for package deals on line as "bundles" for your case, power and motherboard to save even more. Good luck.