swbf maps and the copyright surrounding them

Started by Ltin, April 16, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was wondering what the copyrights around battlefront's stock maps and their sides were. Is it legal for me to recreate them im somewhere other than swbf (such as halo, minecraft, runscape, cod, etc...)?
[spoiler]If this is in the wrong section, please move it. i wasn't sure which section this would fall under
[/spoiler]

I'm no copyright expert, but I imagine if you are recreating them and not using the original assets(models, textures, scripts, ect..), then it should be fine.

The thing about copyright is that there isnt anywhere you need to apply, if you can prove you made something first, then the copyright goes to you. this website could be copyright buckler if he wanted it to be (assuming im right. that's the way i understood it)

The conversion pack for SWBFII kind of had SWBFI sides. And they haven't gotten in trouble yet so...
But the sides weren't the same. They messed up some really major stuff.

Thats also within the same franchise. Im going to go ahead and do it. The worst the has a not small chance of happening is it being taken down.

Quote from: Ltin on April 16, 2013, 05:26:45 PM
Im going to go ahead and do it.
How to you plan on doing so? What game(s) are you doing it in?

Im not even sure im doing it yet, but me no tell

If any of the builds require DAE, OBJ, or some close related model format, you know who to call.
I have recently figured out how to completely convert all SWBF models with correct everything. (and edit them in Sketchup might I add)

I was warned on Gametoast, for stealing SWTFU asses, for my Nar Shaddaa map, and have to post my wireframe pics, to prove - those models are mine.
Secondary, I was warned, for stealing SWRC textures, for my ACP shotgun, till, we figure out - my textures from screenshots, and can't be counted as original.
So, in some reason, I think, stealing original assets, from one game, to another, may be classificated, as bad thing to do...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

April 17, 2013, 11:54:56 AM #9 Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:01:14 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Sereja on April 17, 2013, 09:00:35 AM
I was warned on Gametoast, for stealing SWTFU asses, for my Nar Shaddaa map, and have to post my wireframe pics, to prove - those models are mine.
Secondary, I was warned, for stealing SWRC textures, for my ACP shotgun, till, we figure out - my textures from screenshots, and can't be counted as original.
So, in some reason, I think, stealing original assets, from one game, to another, may be classificated, as bad thing to do...
I don't know how someone could consider something as 'stolen' when the 'original' is still  100% intact. I appreciate all of your asset releases and would never take them for granted by accusing you of stealing them out of jealousy or whatever other lame reason. Thanks for releasing epic swbf models Sereja. Maybe you will get banned for creativity there like I was, but you most likely won't be harassed here for sharing your creations.  :cheers:

I can't speak for Led and the rules here about porting stuff from other games that is copyrighted, but I have only respect for people who have ported stuff to SWBF1 from other games. There's nothing to 'prove' that hasn't already been proven.

Im going to assume that I will be fine because the only real relevence will be the map itself. Classes will be not related.

April 17, 2013, 12:36:58 PM #11 Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:04:53 PM by Buckler
Quote from: Phobos on April 17, 2013, 11:54:56 AM
I can't speak for Led and the rules here about porting stuff from other games that is copyrighted, but I have only respect for people who have ported stuff to SWBF1 from other games. There's nothing to 'prove' that hasn't already been proven.

I don't know what the policy for other games are regarding using thier assets for a non-profit activity.  If I should ever get contacted by a game studio for having something here that they don't like, I would have to remove it immediately.

What I can say though is that we definitely have permission to use anything from SWBF and SWBF2.

And by that I mean in SWBF and SWBF2 mods  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on April 17, 2013, 12:36:58 PM
I don't know what the policy for other games are regarding using thier assets for a non-profit activity.  If I should ever get contacted by a game studio for having something here that they don't like, I would have to remove it immediately.

What I can say though is that we definitely have permission to use anything from SWBF and SWBF2.
Its settled then. Im doing. If I do end up actually finishing it, its highly likely that it wont appear here right away at least.
Anyway, feel free to lock the topic of you wish.

I rememer seeing some sort of YouTube video's where a guy made a couple SWBFI maps for one of the Halo games. I think the user was the Halo Hobo or something like that...

the op in this topic should clear everything up about this. what im doing is perfectly legal.
http://swbf-custom.forumactif.com/t222-legalities-regarding-star-wars-game-porting
QuoteAny and all game mods and mod elements relating to Star Wars regardless of
their source are the property of Lucasfilm LTD and can be used freely without permission in accordance with Lucasfilm copyright guidelines as outlined in the game's and/or mod tools EULA.
Modders hold no copyright or trademark claims over Lucasfilm LTD properties.
Permission is not required to use or create derivative works in accordance with Lucasfilm LTD copyright guidelines.
Which means anyone can use content from SWBF, SWBF2, Republic Commando, EaW, FoC or any other Star Wars game and put them into another Star Wars title.