Helms Deep (2.0)

Started by Commander Gree, July 28, 2009, 11:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 28, 2009, 11:50:43 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:21:48 AM by Unit 33
Helms Deep (2.0)

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1244

A recreation of Helm's Deep from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, by vonfrank

(Read me)

"-realistic recreation of "Helms Deep" from "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"
-available in CW and GCW eras
-200 units on the map at once with 1000 total reinforcements on each side
-added a river running under the grate
-added debris details to the castle
-replaced the health and ammo droid walls with destructable walls to serve as the Main Gate and the Drain Grate
-improved AI pathing
-added more depth to the terrain"

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."

its impossible to break the wall, empire needs At-Ats
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

Not impossible, their were no AT-AT's in Helms deep that i remember :)
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

It's really one sided and the units group together way too much. (There are always a million snipers on the bridge just standin' around, bein' useless)

I just can't seem to win as the attacker. Even capping a CP inside, and breaking both entrances. Then switching teams and getting 70 team kills won't do it.

I make sigs

It's easy to beat the map, you just have to cap the deeping wall and then try and either take the staircase below the Tower, or you can try to go through the area surrounding the main gate and stop the soldiers going through there.

I do agree that the map is way too easy to win as the defender. There should be a couple hundred less reinforcements for the defender, and the attacking team should be able to have some sort of artillery-type vehicle to make a real siege, and the defenders could have something to counter that with.

The turrets on top of the Keep are also totally useless- you can't aim them to hit anything unless you go backwards and shoot everything in the keep.

To be accurate with the movies, there should also be a slope where some sort of help can arrive for the defenders, some sort of alternative base or whatever. I'm not expecting gandalf with a cavalry charge though  :P

Ladders would also be cool for the attackers, both the short ladder and the long one used to get to the keep in the movies. The attackers can't get in the castle as it is, unless they blow up the drain gate or the main gate.

Just some thoughts, if somebody modded the map a bit after getting permission from the creator, that would be really cool. This is a great map even with the issues in it.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

July 30, 2009, 11:35:27 PM #5 Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:53:58 PM by Hardcore
Its a good rebuild of the area, however ladders can not be made in SWBF- no elevators or anything can really (without some work arounds)

And their is no way to have the ability for units to "arrive" from the east on the dawn of the 5th day, they would have to be their the entire time :P

I agree, however when the enemy gets close they get a face full of 15 sniper shots if the bots are on hard going up to that outer wall, and a nice recon can clear out 30+ enemy on that map if used correct.

If the setting was updated to be more like the battle, (not snowing, nighttime, music like it, real medieval units ect) i'd really be impressed with it.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

I think it would be really cool if they swapped the sides with medieval sides (Knights with Swords and Bows), or even better Rohan Warriors and Uruk-Hai (I doubt that would be possible though).

It also would be really cool if the attackers had some sort of siege engines and Ladders (Like Droid said).

It takes forever to finish, and the Defenders should also have a little less reinforcements, as they pretty much own the map. (IDK but shouldn't it be the other way around?).

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."

If there were At-Ats or something similar, they would be like seige engines.
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

Yeah, maybe like Stationary At-At's.