Easiest method of gaining skill in SWBF?

Started by Helios, November 06, 2012, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Im not saying im skilless but i want to become a better player overall.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: Joseph on November 06, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
Play with people who are better than you
But a lot of good players either profanatize because they think they are better than me then they quit the server or boot me :rofl:

Practice, practice, practice, practice and can you guess practice. Training with clan mates and such won't hurt either.

I'll train with ya tommrow if you like. i'll be on from 4est to 8est :D , not sure if im better then you though >.<

Quote from: {212}Mart on November 06, 2012, 07:22:14 PM
I'll train with ya tommrow if you like. i'll be on from 4est to 8est :D , not sure if im better then you though >.<
Sorry bro I can't tomorrow I got Soccer tomorrow :/

Quote from: ComSharpshot on November 06, 2012, 06:43:47 PM
Im not saying im skilless but i want to become a better player overall.
You seem good to me! Play SinglePlayer on Hard, Friendly Fire ON and Heroes ON on a bunch of stock maps. It gets you super "quick on your feet" when it comes to multiplayer. BEWARE: Rage quiting increased by 75% when you play on hard.

November 06, 2012, 08:00:26 PM #7 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:04:01 PM by aeria.
I wasn't the best sniper but I self-proclaim myself to have been a high level player. :P

Tips:
-Play against players who are better than you in small games. This applies to any competitive sport/video game. The only way you can improve is to expose yourself to someone who is better than you. Play in small games and try to beat each other. This is more of a mac tip however because games are small there anyway. Having training partners where you meet consistently in a private game can help all of you to improve your game.

- Don't walk straight and don't have patterns. If you do, your position is estimated and you will have a hard time staying alive. The easiest example is peeping in and out of a hallway. Don't have consistent timings of going in and out of the open because snipers will figure out your timings. Players that were truely random were the hardest for me to shoot. In a musical sense, don't come in and out of cover with a rhythm. Make it offbeat.

- If playing against a more advanced player that's capable of shooting while you are in the air, press back while jumping to slightly change your trajectory. It's a small, trivial situation but it's so easy to do that it's worth remembering.

- With that said, learn all the tricks and abuse them. SWBF is an odd game engine.
For rockets, learn how to mine throw and get in the habit of jumping out of the blast radius of another rocket user. For snipers, memorize which areas you can nade glitch on and stay in those areas. Some areas have glitchy floors where if you throw a grenade directly doward, it will stick on the floor and detonate VERY quickly. This is essential for snipers being pressured up close. If your attacker is being too aggressive, this is the best trick to use. Throw a grenade, jump back, free kill. Every minor advantage will help you as much as it helped me.

- Use grenades for spacing but use them wisely. Space is an important aspect of SWBF and one of the worst mistakes is to throw grenades through hallways by habit. Use grenades to force people into areas they don't want to be. Throw a grenade so that your opponent is forced to go right and hug a wall. This makes it much easier to kill them. Throw a grenade behind them if you want them to get closer to you. Limit their space and they will be easier to kill. Your grenades are limited to make sure the kill counts whether by the grenade itself or by space control. Another grenade trick is to cancel the recovery animation of throwing a grenade by jumping or rolling. They will make it a fraction of second quicker to recover.

- Master the pistol. The pistol is poop. Everyone knows it. However the pistol doesn't require reloading and it's a sniper's resort when being confronted upclose. Don't be stupid and try to pistol from max range, that's what the sniper is for. For rockets, it's the opposite strategy.

- Master delay estimates. With the sniper rifle you may need to offset your shot if the opponent is far away and moving left/right. If you can memorize this, your accuracy percentage can improve a lot.

-If someone is hiding back to a wall, shoot as close to that wall as possible. The hitboxes can be laggy at times and you can possibly get that kill.

- Avoid "jumping out of fire". If you're jumping, you're not shooting. Not only are you not shooting but you can't change your movement so much for as long as you're in the air. It's a terrible, terrible habit that you must avoid. Also, it doesn't help at all. Rolling is far more effective for evasion however be careful about rolling into a wall, which is even worse than jumping.

- Just improve accuracy and your guessing game. At the end of the day, your shooting kills are what counts. All the minor tricks in the world doesn't matter if you can't shoot efficiently. Do mini-games to improve your ability to strafe and shoot with accuracy at the same time. One of them is to aim at a specific point at a wall and keep aiming at it. Keep strafing left and right nonstop but keep your crosshair on that point in the wall. After practice you should be able to smoothly keep aim at that wall and you're a moving target at the same time. Use that skill in-game!

- Keep your sensitivity low and use a high-end mouse. The more dpi your mouse is the better, regardless of what FPS you are playing. With that said, keep the sensitivity low so you won't overshoot to the left or right.

Most of these tips are a bit obvious but some could be useful. This is the best I can remember atm. Keep your competitive drive going!! Strong competition is my favorite part of video games. :)

#TYBG

:O O.o Such a loooooooooooooooooooong post xD
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on November 07, 2012, 06:15:35 AM
:O O.o Such a loooooooooooooooooooong post xD
Oh such a useless post, :rofl:

A few practical tips:
1. Get proficient with one unit. You can become better at all units once you've mastered one unit.
2. Copy the playing abilities/style of someone better than you.
3. Play with players who are better than or relatively equal to your own skill level.

Right now if I don't practice on CC I practice on the Elite Clan map on hard with both eras. Like the description of the map says, it's the best training map. I've almost remastered the Soldier class. It also helps to go on there before jumping online.

Just use one class until you got it down. I practice mainly with the Soldier class then I may go onto the Sniper class. Do not try to get really good at three classes during the same time. Focus on 1 then 2. Then move onto something else like Pilot while occasionally using Soldier and Sniper that way your ability with the first two classes do not become jaded. Rinse and repeat.