Windows Movie Maker 2.6 Download & Guide

Started by SirPimped, January 13, 2013, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 13, 2013, 05:31:44 PM Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:54:27 PM by SirPimped
Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (WMM) is a free program by Microsoft for video editing. A link to a download from the Microsoft website is below.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34

Notes and Tips
A. This is not a complete guide. I will be adding more notes periodically.

B. WMM 2.6 is not compatible with all video, audio or image files. These files are typically compatible with WMM:
   1. Video files: .asf, .avi, .dvr-ms, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
   2. Audio files: .aif, .aifc, .aiff .asf, .au, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .snd, .wav, and .wma
   3. Picture files: .bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf

C. WMM is a generally unstable program will often freeze/stop working. It is important to save your work often (I recommend saving after each change you make to your timeline). The best ways to reduce the frequency of freezes are:
   1. Close as many other programs as possible while using WMM
   2. Go into 'tools' and then 'options'. Click on the 'compatibility' tab. Deselect all filters with .ax extensions. Click OK.
   3. Do not click on things to quickly or rapidly. Do not 'rush' the program.
   4. Reduce the amount of transitions and effects on your timeline. The more transitions and effects you have, the more likely the program will crash.

Movie Tasks
Capture Video: This section is for importing your video, picture, or audio files. Select one of those options; find the video, picture, or audio file from your computer and select it. It will be added to your collection in the middle of the screen.

Edit Movie: This section allows you to look at your current collection of uploaded videos, add video effects, add transitions between videos on the timeline/storyboard, and make title/credits.

Finish Movie: When your video is complete to your satisfaction, click 'save to my computer' option. First enter the name of the file you want to create, and then select where you want to save the file on your computer. Click next. Select the option for video quality. Tip: best quality for non-HD videos is under 'other settings' – 'video for local playback (2.1Mpbs NTSC)'. Click next and your video will begin saving.

Editing a Video or Audio Clip
Use the video screen on the right side of the program to watch your uploaded clip. Use the buttons at the bottom of the video screen to play, stop, rewind, etc.

To split a clip – use the button at the bottom of the video screen on the right side next to the camera button.
Alternatives: Ctrl+L, or Task Bar > Clip > Split

To take a picture from video clip – Click the button on the bottom of the video screen with the camera icon.

Use the 'view video effects' to enhance your video (I recommend using the video effects after your clip is placed on the storyboard/timeline). Once your video is on your timeline you can drag the effects from 'view video effects' to the clip on your timeline. The effect will be added to the clip. You can also add effects by right clicking on the clip, and click the 'video effects' button. Select from the 'available effects' and then click 'add'. Use the remove button to delete the effect from the selected clip. Use the 'move up/move down' options to edit the order in which the effects will happen to the clip. When finished, click OK.

For audio – To set audio level between audio from video and audio from music, go to Tools > Audio Levels. Drag left to increase audio level from video. Drag right to increase audio level from music. Setting the level at the very end of either side will mute the other.

Storyboard/Timeline
The storyboard and timeline (I recommend using the timeline) will allow you to arrange and edit your clips that will show on your finished video. To switch between storyboard and timeline, click the 'show timeline/show storyboard' option above the timeline/storyboard at the bottom of the program.

Once you have edited your clip, drag the clip you want to the storyboard or timeline. For timeline, drag video clips to the video section and audio clips to the audio section (duh).

You can continue editing your clips once they are already on your storyboard/timeline. To continue editing the clip on the timeline, right click on the selected clip. Use the video effects option to add effects to the video. For audio clips, right click to mute, fade in, or fade out for the clip.

To rearrange the clips you already have on your timeline, click on the clip and drag it along the timeline to the desired position.

Title overlay: this section is for the 'add title on selected clip' option under the 'make title or credits' section. It will add text over the video as it plays.

Miscellaneous
Changing aspect ratio: Tools > Options > Advanced tab. Change between 4:3 and 16:9.

Changing picture/transition duration: Tools > Options > Advanced tab. Change the time the picture or transition will last in your video.

Auto-recover option: Tools > Options > General tab. Change the time based on your preferences. This will save your project periodically based on the time you set. If the program crashes, it may recover some (but not all) of your work.

January 13, 2013, 05:33:28 PM #1 Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:33:16 AM by Disciple
Nice tutorial,im sure we will start viewing more SWBF montages from now on.

Nice tutorial, but if u also can, make a tutorial of how to use Sony Vegas (Pro or normal)
Some other ppl might have it :)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Immor†al Anyder on January 14, 2013, 06:32:31 AM
Nice tutorial, but if u also can, make a tutorial of how to use Sony Vegas (Pro or normal)
Some other ppl might have it :)
WMM 2.6 is a free program, and most other editing software is expensive. This is for anyone who wants to make a video, but not spend money on software. I have never used Sony Vegas or any other video editing software, so I cannot make a guide for it. If you want to write a tutorial for Sony Vegas, I would appreciate it.

Sure
But it will take me some time U_U

There isnt a way to make it go in slow motion at parts :/?

As far as i know, u cant do that with Windows Movie Maker.
U can do it with Sony Vegas

Quote from: {212} Nixo on February 04, 2013, 09:45:13 AM
There isnt a way to make it go in slow motion at parts :/?
Yes, slow motion is in the effects. Right click on the selected clip, click "Video Effects", then select "Slow Down, Half". That will slow it by half. You can do this multiple times to make it slower and slower each time.

Ahh thanks :) I saw it in a couple of other vids that I thought we from wmm

You can do quite a few neat tricks in VideoPad (the setup.exe I posted earlier) Including slow motion.

when I download it, then click install, it doesn't show up. Is it not for windows 8?

Adobe Photoshop CS5 can add in the slow motion parts. Photoshop is slowly turning from a image editor/maker into a multi-media workhorse.

Is it possible to upload xfire videos straight into wmm? I am having trouble finding it so before I waste more time I'd like to be sure if it is possible or not.