Why BF1 not BF2?

Started by Kade, July 27, 2021, 07:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, Just curious as to why there is so much more people interested in battlefront 1 instead of 2? The game has a lot less features than BF2 so I just seems odd to me.

Also is it possible to port maps from other games to battlefront and if so how would one go about this?
KadeEclipse

Back when I first started modding it was simply because I had SWBF1 and didn't have SWBF2, and SWBF2 wasn't as readily available for purchase like it is now (this is back in like 2008ish).

Now, even though I have 2 and do play it, I don't mod for it because it because I like the gameplay of 1 better, I know how to mod for it better, and frankly it just has a special place in my heart that 2 never really obtained. Not that I think 2 is bad, it's just 1 was my first (non-tactical) FPS and its just very special to me...

the statement that more people are modding bf1 couldnt be further from the truth, i only know about 5 modders that are still active including me. there is also a tutorial for converting maps from bf2 to bf1, though am not sure how to do it for other games.
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

Quote from: wsa30h on July 27, 2021, 11:29:58 AMthe statement that more people are modding bf1 couldnt be further from the truth, i only know about 5 modders that are still active including me. there is also a tutorial for converting maps from bf2 to bf1, though am not sure how to do it for other games.

When you look at the difference in posts you can tell BF1 has seen more action than BF2.

Also thats understandable Ty. I would mod 1 but i dont understand how the modding works. also you cant run and i hate it! lol
KadeEclipse

I think SWBF1 Modders are more active here, but over on Gametoast I think SWBF2 modders outnumber the SWBF1 modders by a lot.

I personally enjoy BF1 far more than BF2. BF2 was janky and rushed in 2005, and a lot of te stable features that made BR1 were lost in BF2. In the modern era, people simp for BF2 because of rose colored shades. 16 years late and BF2 imo hasn't stopped being a janky rushed product.

Also there are far more major mods for BF2, so overall this is a strange and off-base observation I find.

Quote from: Verranicus on July 27, 2021, 10:18:42 PMAlso there are far more major mods for BF2, so overall this is a strange and off-base observation I find.

Yeah i guess this is true but i think that that is more to the fact that BF1 looks harder to mod. ive tried it myself and cant figure it out. where as BF2 looks super simple to me.
KadeEclipse

Because BF1 has too many limits and restrictions and worst physics.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

I don't think it's any harder to mod if you are working within the confines of how the game normally works. I think all the base elements of gameplay that are in BF1 are in BF2, so if you master BF2 modding you should easily be able to do any of the basic stuff in BF1. It only gets hard if you try to expand BF1 to have features similar to BF2, or features that were cut from the game, or just anything outside of the base gameplay. Even so, I don't see it as being any more complicated than BF2. BF2 has a lot more going on in it so I see it as the more complicated one.

Then again I haven't tried modding for SWBF2 in over a decade, so my memory might be a little faulty. Only recent experience I have is browsing through the assets.

Having worked on mods for both: yes, SWBF2 is indeed more free for modding in a few respects, but Ty is also correct: that freedom comes with complexity. Modding SWBF2 is more complicated.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base