SWBF PC w/ controllers

Started by Ltin, August 03, 2016, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Once F1 2016 comes out im probably going to buy a controller to play it with. I really liked the Xbox One Controller, so i looked into buying one, and they are really expensive. I had a hard time justifying paying $120 to play a game i feel is already overvalued.

Can i use an xbox one controller with battlefront? What about 360 or steam controllers?
On steam swbfII has "partial controller support", so if i were to launch swbfI through steam (which i already do) would i get a similar result?

I did see one thread that mentioned a thing called JoyToKey. Does that work well?

SWBF2 has complete controller support and is a game supported by the Steam controller. I've used the wired Xbox 360 controller, PS3 Sixaxis controller and PS2 controllers with a usb converter and they all work well. With regular controllers you can map everything except esc. With the Steam controller you can map any game function to any button including esc.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

But is that the same for SWBFI? I wouldn'texpect it to be as its a nom-steam game. 

I recommend the Logitech f710.  It costs around 40 US dollars, and it as good as all the other controllers you can find.  The d pad and analogue stick controls can be swapped mid game without fiddling around with any settings.  It also has two different input methods, so the controller works great for both new and old games.  However, many people including myself have issues with the wireless connection.  The controller must be close to the receiver, and some operating systems work better with the receiver than others.  Windows 8 worked okay-ish, windows 10 is much better.  Not sure about windows 7 or lower.

If you are playing racing games, I always recommend a wheel.  CM games tend to work okay without a wheel, but it is always better with a wheel.  If you want a controller to play Battlefront, I understand a wheel would not be ideal.  I have tried controllers with SWBF on PC and I dislike the feel.  I don't recommend it, but it does work.

If you really want to go the cheap route, check a goodwill or other similar stores.  I have found many great, high quality controllers/wheels/joysticks at those places, most can be bought for 2-5$. 

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on August 04, 2016, 09:57:44 AM
  I recommend the Logitech f710.  It costs around 40 US dollars, and it as good as all the other controllers you can find.  The d pad and analogue stick controls can be swapped mid game without fiddling around with any settings.  It also has two different input methods, so the controller works great for both new and old games.  However, many people including myself have issues with the wireless connection.  The controller must be close to the receiver, and some operating systems work better with the receiver than others.  Windows 8 worked okay-ish, windows 10 is much better.  Not sure about windows 7 or lower.

If you are playing racing games, I always recommend a wheel.  CM games tend to work okay without a wheel, but it is always better with a wheel.  If you want a controller to play Battlefront, I understand a wheel would not be ideal.  I have tried controllers with SWBF on PC and I dislike the feel.  I don't recommend it, but it does work.

If you really want to go the cheap route, check a goodwill or other similar stores.  I have found many great, high quality controllers/wheels/joysticks at those places, most can be bought for 2-5$.
Im probably going to be using an XBone controller as my roommate will have a XBone (did i mention im connecting it to a laptop?)

Quote from: Ltin on August 04, 2016, 10:28:35 AM
Im probably going to be using an XBone controller as my roommate will have a XBone (did i mention im connecting it to a laptop?)

I personally don't tend to play with a controller for many games, EA's Battlefront is just too clunky for me on a PC when I use a xbone controller.

And, I just tend to personally use my keyboard as that is what I've been using my entire gaming career.
The years just fly past, don't they?