Started by Dbiz, February 15, 2013, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iOS or Android?

iOS
9 (56.3%)
Android
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

I personally am not a fan of Apple, so unless someone can convince me otherwise I ma get an android  :shrug: 

Quote from: Dbiz on February 15, 2013, 02:50:44 PM

I personally am not a fan of Apple, so unless someone can convince me otherwise I ma get an android  :shrug:

I've got both, an iOS iPod and iPad, and a Samsung Android smartphone. I'l admit, I've had my iPod and iPad longer than my newer Android, though I mutually like them both. Sure they both have apps, and their pros and cons, but I still like my iPad and iPod better. The only thing I like about Android really is just their OS is a little more customizable than iOS, and you don't need to Jailbreak your Android to customize it like an iOS Device. With Android, and the right apps, you can actually tweak your own device without a need to jailbreak it.

The verdict, I still liek my iOS, even though I've had iOS longer than Android.

Android, it's more open and if you want to get a cheap one (Like me.) you can. And it will work just as well as an iPhone.

But if you have some cash to burn, get one of these http://www.sony.co.nz/product/xperia+z. (Sorry don't know a US link to it.) Sony know how to beat Apple at the game they started. Retina display? Pfff Sony have gone and chucked a Full HD display into a mobile phone. Not to mention the CPU and RAM it has.

Otherwise consider getting a lower end Xperia. Sony is a trustable brand, more so than Apple.

Quote from: SleepKiller on February 15, 2013, 02:59:08 PM
Android, it's more open and if you want to get a cheap one (Like me.) you can. And it will work just as well as an iPhone.

But if you have some cash to burn, get one of these http://www.sony.co.nz/product/xperia+z. (Sorry don't know a US link to it.) Sony know how to beat Apple at the game they started. Retina display? Pfff Sony have gone and chucked a Full HD display into a mobile phone. Not to mention the CPU and RAM it has.

Otherwise consider getting a lower end Xperia. Sony is a trustable brand, more so than Apple.

Is 1080p really noticeable on a five inch display? I'm sure it looks gorgeous, but can the human eye really recognize the difference?

I have an Xperia Play and dont have anything against it,the camera is way better than an ipad,you can record in HD and the number of apps and customizable stuff are way bigger.My mom always had iphones and i convinced her to buy a S3  :cheer:

All I have is IOS things, Ipod, Ipad, and getting an Iphone on Monday, I had a android phone for a little while and I disliked how they set it up, but I do wish some of the apps on android were on IOS, same the other way around.

My opinion is very bias, I have never owned an android. I have had 2 ipod touches and an iphone and loved them all. I have some friends with android and it seems just as good. Really its just what sort of accessibility you like. I like iOS but I have used it forever, so yeah  :P

Quote from: BlackScorpion on February 15, 2013, 05:10:34 PM
Is 1080p really noticeable on a five inch display? I'm sure it looks gorgeous, but can the human eye really recognize the difference?
I have wondered this myself when people tell me they bought the new ipad for the "better screen quality" :dry: 

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Quote from: BlackScorpion on February 15, 2013, 05:10:34 PM
To my knowledge no it isn't. Unless you have super human eyes. I just like the fact Sony took Apple's "the screen is so good you can't see all the pixels" and completely went overboard. Take away the screen and replace with a normal one and your still left with a phone that is much better than the iPhone.

Although it could be theorized that due to the high pixel density the image looks much more realistic than say one that just has enough pixels that you can't see them. I know my sister's iPhone's screen looks very sharp and clear with it's "retina" display, so perhaps a 1080p one would look even better.

I have had an android and an iphone 5(the phone i currently have) i must say if you like to take pictures samsung is your best bet. If you like games and apps and he best widgets, design, and best Quality then get an IPhone 5
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

My Motorola Atrix has a fingerprint sensor on it. Only I can unlock it. How long until Apple comes up with something like that? The only thing Apple is good for is making music players. I love my ipod touch because it has a much better GUI for music compared to Android.

One thing to note that's not related to the OS is sound quality, I switched to an Android from an iphone and although I'm very pleased with it in almost all other respects, the sound card on the android is really abysmal. I had to get a separate mp3 player in order to listen to music.

I don't know if this problem is specific to the brand (motorola) or if it plagues most androids, but it's something to take into consideration before making a purchase.

iphone on the other hand has very good sound quality.

iOS(4) is a great mobile operating system. The zooming gestures are really good. There's plenty of apps available. And in general the performance is bearable. Android phones and the OS itself are really on a phone-by-phone basis. Some of the Android phones are phenomenal, particularly the Galaxy SIII and Sony's Xperia's line. I've managed to use both of them extensively. There are also a range of TERRIBLE android phones that should be better off running a proprietary and basic operating system. Steer clear away from those. Right now I'm more of a fan of iOS because it's generally easier to use and the UI is polished enough. I'm perfectly happy with a 3.5inch screen.

As for the 1080p+ trend, I'll just throw out there that print (magazine, newspaper) is usually 300 PPI. So if a phone has >300 PPI (the iPhone, for example), then the picture quality is equivalent to paper. The iPhone's native resolution is 800x480. So if a ~3.5 inch phone has a resolution of 1080p, it really is a waste. Perhaps it has a stronger contrast ratio but that's about it. 1080p resolution is best put to use on tablets and maybe really large phones like the galaxy note line.

Me personally, I use a blackberry! AND it has a trackball. As a student living in the lower middle class, I have little interest in paying for a data plan. Also, the physical keyboard's faster for texting. :)

#TYBG

Quote from: Joseph on February 15, 2013, 09:39:59 PM
One thing to note that's not related to the OS is sound quality, I switched to an Android from an iphone and although I'm very pleased with it in almost all other respects, the sound card on the android is really abysmal. I had to get a separate mp3 player in order to listen to music.

I don't know if this problem is specific to the brand (motorola) or if it plagues most androids, but it's something to take into consideration before making a purchase.

iphone on the other hand has very good sound quality.
Recently i updated my phone with a new android and it installed a program that made the sound way better,it is called XLoud.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on February 15, 2013, 02:55:14 PM
Jailbreak your Android
you dont jailbreak android, you root android.

Quote from: Ltin on February 16, 2013, 05:27:43 AM
you dont jailbreak android, you root android.

I meant rooting, and I also forgot to add quotations to "jailbreak", so that people would understand. :P

Also, 500 posts everyone! I'm an Advanced Member!!! :D