[HELP] Local loco

Started by Snake, August 31, 2013, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know, the title is weird. But here's basically what I am wanting to do:

I want to locolize two local units (the Scribes and Guards for the Museum) but you can only locolize a general name for the entire local team. I am using DES as the local side. How do I locolize the second local team? (which will be EWK) Do I label them "local1" in the .lua and then make the same key in the locolization tool?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

1.Create a key in Localization called Local1 (or whatever).
2.Go into lua.
3.For SetTeamName put (4, "Local1").
4.Munge and play

Example:
[spoiler]--  Local Stats
    SetTeamName (3, "locals")
    AddUnitClass (3, "tat_inf_jawa", 14);
    SetUnitCount (3, 14)
    SetTeamAsFriend(3,ATT)
    SetTeamAsFriend(3,DEF)

--  Local Stats
    SetTeamName (4, "Local1")
    AddUnitClass (4, "rak_inf_rakata", 14);
    SetUnitCount (4, 14)
    SetTeamAsEnemy(4,ATT)
    SetTeamAsEnemy(4,DEF)

Note: This is untested. I'm not sure if it works.

September 01, 2013, 10:19:09 AM #2 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:14:57 PM by Snake
Ah, that's how I was hoping it'd work. Thanks!

---

How do I name the individual locals differently though? Like "locals", which is the general name, has "LOCAL" which is the name for individual locals like "Gamorrean." I named my second local side "locals1" and so made another key called "LOCAL1" but it doesn't do anything.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I don't really know how that would work.. I don't really know much about core localization in the first place.. (I've only recently fixed up my own addon core builder for specific use)
But theoretically, you could just localize it like a regular side (Des.Inf.Unitname), and for the Local1 just do what Dylan said. I seriously doubt it wouldn't work.
-
Also, this answers the question about the game reading and localizing a second local, and that you aren't limited to what the game wants you to write.

Well, doing it that way would name them on the unit selection screen, which is unnecessary for locals. I want to name them so that it says "Snake Killed A Scribe" like that.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on September 01, 2013, 08:39:44 PM
Well, doing it that way would name them on the unit selection screen, which is unnecessary for locals. I want to name them so that it says "Snake Killed A Scribe" like that.
Well, as long as you're not using the locals as a playable side, I don't really think it's going to impact the gameplay :P
Also, you could just name all the units (assuming you have a few different versions of scribes and/or noobs) "A scribe," or "A Noob," get what I'm saying?

Like renaming the units? Like "Tau 37" or something? That won't work with locals. They all get one single individual name. Like for Gamorreans, the team name is "Gamorreans"(This is the "locals" and is used for "Gamorreans Captured the Throne Room) the individual name is "A Gamorrean" (This is the "LOCAL" and is used for "So and So Killed A Gamorrean") So I want to create 3 local sides. But the game calls them all "A Gamorrean" when killed. I want them each to have their own name so theyre called "A Scribe" "A Guard" "A Noob." but it won't work.

I attached a picture of my locolization tool
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

No no no, like the regular unit localization.
You know, the keys that REP CIS IMP and ALL are localized at.
I cannot access my builders right now, so I cannot take a screen shot...
-- You will need to look at the stock core builder and see how the sides are set up on that.
Then you can just add your side the same format it's done in.

September 01, 2013, 09:12:56 PM #8 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:14:27 PM by Snake
Like the attached picture?

That would locolize the names on the unit selection screen.

Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're saying, this is a confusing thing to convey in words. Also, I don't know anything about core builders and things. I just use the locolization tool.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

September 01, 2013, 09:16:15 PM #9 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:19:36 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: Snake on September 01, 2013, 09:12:56 PM
Like the attached picture?

That would locolize the names on the unit selection screen.

Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're saying, this is a confusing thing to convey in words. Lol
YES, good.. goood!
-
Now you would create a scope under entity, and call it whatever your side short name is (DES) and then add a key and rename it to whatever unit's ODF you're trying to localize. Then you can name it "A Scribe" and do the same for the 'noob' ODF. That way they'll have separate names like you wanted.
===
Crap, I see what you mean about it not saying it in MP... It works in SP though -_-
Also, if you get killed by one in multiplayer, then it will use it's name. But as for killing them in MP, I have absolutely no idea how that would work... I should have thought it through a little more.
--
Like I said, I have very little experience in that sort of thing...

September 01, 2013, 09:41:26 PM #10 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:21:21 PM by Snake
It doesn't work in either. That doesn't affect the killed by message. Lol

--

I fixed the problem by simply naming all locals "A Battlefrontian". That's what I named all who inhabit the land of Battlefront. :P So no matter what you kill, it'll say "So and So Killed A Battlefrontian"
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on September 01, 2013, 08:53:24 PM
Like renaming the units? Like "Tau 37" or something? That won't work with locals. They all get one single individual name. Like for Gamorreans, the team name is "Gamorreans"(This is the "locals" and is used for "Gamorreans Captured the Throne Room) the individual name is "A Gamorrean" (This is the "LOCAL" and is used for "So and So Killed A Gamorrean") So I want to create 3 local sides. But the game calls them all "A Gamorrean" when killed. I want them each to have their own name so theyre called "A Scribe" "A Guard" "A Noob." but it won't work.

I attached a picture of my locolization tool

See what happens if you make one of the stock sides a local team, like rebels in GCW era.  I think that they keep all their names, even if defined as a local team.  If so, there must be a way to deal with it.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

September 02, 2013, 05:54:56 PM #12 Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:18:30 AM by SleepKiller
Long Answer: I can think of one way that you might get around it.

So do you know how the team pattern works.

0 is neutral and used for command posts, supply droids, turrets and vehicles.
1 is a normal team
2 is a normal team
3 is locals

Now this is where it gets interesting. Once we get to four the team colour loops back to white. We already know that 0 is displayed as white. Once we get up to team five, we see the colour changes to either red or green. At six the colour also changes to red or green. Once we get to 7 the colour becomes yellow again.

You should have noticed the pattern here. However you can't skip ahead to 5,6 or 7. I tried that while working on Bespin: Zombie City. It will crash in multiplayer. So to get around this you will need make teams 4,5,6 valid before you can use 7.

To do this define teams 4,5,6 with names and a single class. (It needs to be a valid name.) But don't give them a way to spawn. Now you can used team 7 for your second local team and in theory you should be able to give it a local name.

If this doesn't work I have another theory, it is just a bit more complex to explain. So try this first :P

Quote from: DylanRocket on August 31, 2013, 10:19:15 PM
1.Create a key in Localization called Local1 (or whatever).
2.Go into lua.
3.For SetTeamName put (4, "Local1").
4.Munge and play

Example:
[spoiler]--  Local Stats
    SetTeamName (3, "locals")
    AddUnitClass (3, "tat_inf_jawa", 14);
    SetUnitCount (3, 14)
    SetTeamAsFriend(3,ATT)
    SetTeamAsFriend(3,DEF)

--  Local Stats
    SetTeamName (4, "Local1")
    AddUnitClass (4, "rak_inf_rakata", 14);
    SetUnitCount (4, 14)
    SetTeamAsEnemy(4,ATT)
    SetTeamAsEnemy(4,DEF)

Note: This is untested. I'm not sure if it works.

Sounds logical, but it's not works.

Quote from: SleepKiller on September 02, 2013, 05:54:56 PM
Once we get up to team five, we see the colour changes to either red or green. At six the colour also changes to red or blue. Once we get to 7 the colour becomes yellow again.
That's weird... In some reason locals can be only yellow, dosen't matter how many local teams I set up.
Wait a minute... a "blue"? Perhaps you talking about SWBF2...
Here is my theory: local names slot, stored in exe, and can't be changed.
The only thing, you could change, it's local team name, not locals themselfs. Example:
QuoteSomebody was killed by Jawa
Jawa - it's local name.
QuoteCP was captured by Jawas
Jawas- it's local team name.
To change local team name, you have to add locals (not local) as a key.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on September 03, 2013, 01:50:27 AM
That's weird... In some reason locals can be only yellow, dosen't matter how many local teams I set up.
Wait a minute... a "blue"? Perhaps you talking about SWBF2...
I am talking about SWBF1, I accidentally put blue. My mistake.