How do I remove CTF flags?

Started by Auggie, September 04, 2016, 08:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I tried this...
Quote3) You can also remove flags using hex edit on the existing files
open the map file in hex editor, and search for com_item_flag, and between what looks like "XFRM0" and "PROP" there is about 50 bytes of data - obscure this data by writing just random letters and numbers over it (don't overwrite xfrm0 and prop, just the data in between those bits)
those little bytes of data is object coordinate and changing it puts the flag somewhere only god knows.

For 2 flag levels, do this for each instance of the flag you find. Usually f3 in hex tools finds next instance.
...but the flags are still in the map, just not where they're supposed to be (i.e. in the walls, undeground). I still get the blinking icon, and the bots seem to get distracted by them.

I've played a game where a guy removed the flags entirely. Do you guys know how to do this? I'm going for a TDM-style gamemode.

Quote from: Auggie on September 04, 2016, 08:57:23 PM
I tried this......but the flags are still in the map, just not where they're supposed to be (i.e. in the walls, undeground). I still get the blinking icon, and the bots seem to get distracted by them.

I've played a game where a guy removed the flags entirely. Do you guys know how to do this? I'm going for a TDM-style gamemode.

Having no flags bugs the bots out so they don't even move or shoot at all

Quote from: Auggie on September 04, 2016, 08:57:23 PM
I tried this......but the flags are still in the map, just not where they're supposed to be (i.e. in the walls, undeground). I still get the blinking icon, and the bots seem to get distracted by them.

If you want it for a multiplayer server then I think I still have my TDM file I can send you. Not sure how well it works for Single Player though.
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

September 05, 2016, 05:12:11 AM #3 Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:17:37 AM by Auggie
Having no flags bugs the bots out so they don't even move or shoot at all
That's okay. I don't like bots. That was just my way of saying that the flags were still in the map.

QuoteIf you want it for a multiplayer server then I think I still have my TDM file I can send you. Not sure how well it works for Single Player though.
Yes, I want it for a multiplayer server. What do you mean by "TDM file?" Like a LVL_PC folder with updated map.lvl files that remove flags from CTF? Either way, send it to me or, better yet, upload it to the Downloads. Include instructions please because I have no experience at all modding servers. Thanks!

If he doesn't have it, the question still stands. How to I remove the flags entirely from the map?

Quote from: Auggie on September 05, 2016, 05:12:11 AM
Yes, I want it for a multiplayer server. What do you mean by "TDM file?" Like a LVL_PC folder with updated map.lvl files that remove flags from CTF? Either way, send it to me or, better yet, upload it to the Downloads. Include instructions please because I have no experience at all modding servers. Thanks!

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1406
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

It's still being approved, so can you attach the file and PM me with the instructions, please?

September 05, 2016, 06:03:34 PM #6 Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:18:21 PM by Auggie
Okay. It turns out that -SR-Fasty's mod also remove command post capturing. I wanted a mix of CTF w/o flags (TDM) and Conquest. I don't really care about tanks and turrets still being in the game. I just need a way to hex edit out ONLY the flags in CTF. Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT:
Nevermind, I figured it out. All you have to do is open the map.lvl files in you hex editor and search for com_item_flag. Make it unrecognizable by making it something like this: -om_item_flag. Do this for all instances. I might upload a LVL_PC file for people who only want to remove flags and want to keep vehicles, turrets, and conquest captures.

Okay, I've got a problem. I went through all the map.lvl files and replaced com_item_flag with -om_item_flag to make it unreadable, and this it fine when the server starts on a CTF map. But when it changes to another CTF map, the server crashes, and all players get stuck on "Finding Host..." screen. Is there something else I need to do?

Better yet, does anyone know how people used to do this back in the day? Hex editing-wise? What's the CORRECT way to do this?

September 07, 2016, 09:47:26 AM #8 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:55:05 AM by Auggie
CORRECTION: Changing all instances of com_item_flag to something unreadable like -om_item_flag in the [map].lvl files actually works for 1-flag maps, just not 2-flag maps. I could create a playlist of only 1-flag maps, and everything would work fine, but when the server tries to load a 2-flag map in which the flags were removed in the same manner, it crashes and restarts until a 1-flag or conquest map is loaded. Any ideas? Does anyone know the proper hex edits that must be made to remove flags from all CTF maps, not just 1-flag maps? Does an actual mod need to be made? Sorry for the repetitive posts, but I thought that the more information we have, the easier it will be to remove the flags properly.

Just to clarify, the reason I don't want to use -SR-Fasty's mod is because command posts aren't capturable, and I want some working conquest maps in the playlist along with no-flag CTF (TDM) maps.

It's quite likely that no one here has done this before.  I recommend you document your results and release your mods when you get it working.

Hex editing is extremely trial-and-error.  Also, I highly recommend that you save your file at every attempt.  It is really easy to break files when hex editing.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

September 07, 2016, 09:56:31 AM #10 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:01:05 AM by Auggie
I will try.  :P As you know, I'm very new to this. If I find out anything else, I will report back. My hex editor makes backups of the files, so I don't need to worry about corruption.  ;)