Tutorial and Documentation Resources

Started by {AR}MetalKiller, January 02, 2024, 06:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Howdy and happy new year, everyone  :cheers:

I've been modding SWBF for well over 10 years now, admittedly less frequent and with less ambition than other modders on this forum.
In the beginning, I started having conversation with people who already knew how to mod.
There was no tutorial to follow along, and I had to figure out a lot of stuff on my own.
The classic learning by doing experience.
Although there are plenty of tutorials and documentation resources available, it always bugged me that they were spread across multiple different platforms and presented in forms that may not be appealing to beginners.
Some documents even skipped the most interesting parts because they were trivial in the eyes of the writer or just too cumbersome to explain.
Further problems were dead links, incompatible software, .... you name it.
I understand that the community is a bit smaller these days than back in the day, and the demand for a unified resource collection might be close to zero.

However, I am wondering if there has never been made an effort to collect all the information that is out there about SWBF1 and SWBF2 in one place?
I am thinking about something similar to the Blender-MSH-IO reference manual from Sleepkiller or a Wiki page in general.
Having Screenshots, cross-references, TL:DR;, ... really lowers the initial threshold for new people to get started.

I am not really trying to convince anybody of something, but just want to hear your opinions on it.

There is/was a fairly extensive site for SWBF2.  https://sites.google.com/site/swbf2modtoolsdocumentation/getting-started

If you want to do something here, you are more than welcome and we can host it either directly in forums or as another site (html/worpress/etc)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet