Should I keep the mod i'm working on multiplayer compatible or not?

Started by jdee-barc, November 10, 2010, 09:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I keep the mod i'm working on multiplayer compatible or not?

yes
4 (80%)
no
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

I'm wondering whether i should keep the mod I'm working on Multiplayer compatible or not.

Multiplayer compatiblity: pros
multiplayer availble

cons:
takes up too much disk space
there is more content in the sides than actually shows up on the maps right now.
there is a limit to the number of addon maps that are allowed

Not Multiplayer pros
less disk space
more room for more content

cons.
not multiplayer compatible

Those are the pros and cons for each decision
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

If you want my opinion here it is: Not very many people play star wars battlefront online anymore so I value the singleplayer more then multiplayer. I also like being able to have more content in mods so I value singleplayer mods more then multiplayer mods.(no offense to multiplayer mod makers) Also you said there would be AddOn maps but multiplayer limits the amount that you can include. So if you want my opinion there you have. I say you go with Singleplayer.  :happy:  ;)

Why not both? I mean most games have more single player content than multiplayer in the first place so I'm sure it wouldn't bug people especially if they got to play together

Yes, keep it multiplayer compatible. A bit more space on the mod isn't a problem for the vast majority of our members. Now, this site is meant to be here for the COMMUNITY of games. Why shouldn't we have the chance to share a game with fellow players with a mod in place? I would certainly like to play certain mods with friends over MP, because honestly, SP mods get boring for me after a while.

Problem is, there is more content in the sides, than what shows up in the map.
-There is a maximum number of maps that can be in addon at one time (like 24 or so)
-The converted maps have absolutley no vehicles for some reason
-there is more content in the sides themselves, than what is actually showing up. In the clone sides, there are about 6 clone legions to uses. in the 16 maps that i have, 4 of them actually show up (because a few maps don't even involve clones). There
-Multiplayer works pretty lame. It glitches and bogs down my computer like crazy. I had to reinstall SWBF one time because some weird thing happened with it and it corrupted my common.lvl
-It takes up way too much disk space (lets say, about 1 GB for the sides alone, and maybe 1 GB for converted BF2 maps and 512 MB for the custom maps).
-It makes loading SWBF take a lot longer.
-regular addon maps use the stock sides, rather than the modded sides that are installed in a different folder. the only addon maps that use the modded sides are the ones that i made or could find files to edit.

A multiplayer compatible mod doesn't actually have to be in this format (installing sides and maps in different folders). You could take any mod, like the main play mod, or Dark Times (if you have BF2), create a server for it, or join a server for it. This mod just makes it so you can still play multiplayer and regular maps with the stock sides, and have other sides to play around with.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)