Star Wars Battlefront 1 How to make a Tunnel/hole in Terrain?

Started by DanielSon777, March 29, 2016, 01:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So you know on HOTH there are tunnels on the outpost and at Echo Base where the Snow Speeders spawn.

I am trying to make a tunnel in my map. but the tunnel objects that are used to make the tunnels can't go through the wall; half of the object goes through the wall and the other half sticks out and you can't walk through. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thank you.

Your objects have to have terrain cutter objects in them. These are cubes that go underneath your mesh in Mod Tool and they cut the shape through the terrain.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Dino do you know how to use XSI Softimage?Do you know ho to model things?If not that will be a problem.Maybe i can make some terraincutter for your map.Just tell me how big the hole must be.A picture for the place where you want the hole will be even better :)

Here's what I did for NOTLD since it's easier than psych0fred's method described here
http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=762

1) Copy the ODF/MSH/TGA assets for yav2_bldg_arena_tunnel from the BFBuilder\Assets into your world project folder, disable read only
2) Hex edit the stock yav2_bldg_arena_tunnel.msh to enable transparency for all textures as explained here http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5299
3) Edit yav2_bldg_steps.tga and yav2_bldg_wall.tga in GIMP and make them 100% transparent
4) Edit the yav2_bldg_arena_tunnel.msh.option to add -nocollision
5) Optional, scale the MSH.option and ODF as needed, I used 0.5
6) Place the yavin tunnel on the map in zeroeditor and it will be invisible in game and have no collision. It functions as a terrain cutter that can be moved around the map editor.

Steps 1-5 only have to be done once, in fact you can actually skip those steps. I just included them so you understand what was done. Here are the assets for NOTLD terrain cutter, you can edit and use them in your map. Just extract these files to your DATAworld project folder and then follow step 6.

Yes, there is many terraincutters, with different shape, can be founded in BF1 and BF2 assets. Still we have to remember - they can make effect only in ZE. This mean, there is no necessary to make stock terraincutter models invisible in game. They could be placed in ZE, and saved. Then, .ter file, need to be checked as "read only". After that all terraicutter models may be just deleted in ZE, and saved. The terrain holes will stay in game anyway.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on April 04, 2016, 04:26:12 AM
Yes, there is many terraincutters, with different shape, can be founded in BF1 and BF2 assets. Still we have to remember - they can make effect only in ZE. This mean, there is no necessary to make stock terraincutter models invisible in game. They could be placed in ZE, and saved. Then, .ter file, need to be checked as "read only". After that all terraicutter models may be just deleted in ZE, and saved. The terrain holes will stay in game anyway.
While saving the TER file in this manner works well for general terrain cutting, when I built my map in zeroeditor I wanted to be able to finetune the location and size/scale of the terrain hole for testing in game after several munges, so that's why I kept the object preserved in the editor instead of deleting it. This prevents the terrain holes from becoming permanent in case of future modifications, but isn't neccesary for some maps.

Sorry, I was out of town.

Quote from: Gistech on March 29, 2016, 02:16:27 PM
Your objects have to have terrain cutter objects in them. These are cubes that go underneath your mesh in Mod Tool and they cut the shape through the terrain.

How do I know if they do or don't have Terrain Cutter Objects in them? How do I use it?

Quote from: Ginev on March 31, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Dino do you know how to use XSI Softimage?Do you know ho to model things?If not that will be a problem.Maybe i can make some terraincutter for your map.Just tell me how big the hole must be.A picture for the place where you want the hole will be even better :)

No I do not have or know how to use XSI Software; I do not know how to model things.

Quote from: Phobos on April 03, 2016, 11:32:16 PM
Here's what I did for NOTLD since it's easier than psych0fred's method described here
http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=762

1) Copy the ODF/MSH/TGA assets for yav2_bldg_arena_tunnel from the BFBuilder\Assets into your world project folder, disable read only
2) Hex edit ... ...

What do you mean Hex edit? Is that found within the Zero Editor Pro or something/someplace else?

Quote from: Dino_Man on April 04, 2016, 08:04:34 PM
What do you mean Hex edit? Is that found within the Zero Editor Pro or something/someplace else?
No, hex editors are not shipped with the modding tools or zeroeditor. Hex Editing can be used to mod compiled LVL files with a hex editor without having to remunge (to an extent). I recommend looking at a few hex editing tutorials on this forum to get a general idea of it.

There are free hex editors you can download such as XVI32, DeepDiff, and HxD. I personally recommend using HxD over XVI32 because it can open giant files without lagging, and the File Comparison feature is quite useful.

ok, Cool. thank you. Do you have a link for the Hex editing application? or the thread here on forum?

When I try to open the MSH file to try to change the transparency settings all I get is this:

I'd like to edit the terrain to fit the size of the tunnel on "bes1_bldg_tunnel" you can kind of see it popping out of the terrain in the photo. Where is the transparency part?