Ignorant Tablet Discussions

Started by SleepKiller, November 18, 2013, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
You guys need to hit up anandtech and do more research, this topic is killing me.

#TYBG

I'm a programmer. So a proper computer offers several advantages.

Much, much faster CPUs. this gets me quicker compile time and faster Intellisense response times. Being able to have more open and switch easily and quickly is also important.

Secondly I'm a writer. Touch screens simply aren't reasonable for writing, it as is simple as that. I've never used a tablet plugin keyboard although I am betting it isn't as good as a proper one. Also the faster CPU will result in better performance which is always nice.

And tablets for me are just all round worse and not as good. I would never use one to browse the internet it just isn't as good a proper computer. And I wouldn't use one as a way to communicate on the go, that is what my cheap phone is for.

Honest question Kit, how much work do you do on a computer? You say documents and powerpoints can be easily done on a tablet but that simply isn't true. It is much more efficient to do it on a proper computer. Why are you an OS X fanboy? You do know the main stream use of them is as work computers by musicians and artists right? (How it is over here at least.) Yet you say that tablets can do everything just as well aside from games.

Lastly I'll just leave some stats here. Hundreds of millions of people use Windows. Only a small percent of those are what could be considered a gamer. Most people don't use their computer for games and they must have a reason to.

Whoever split this topic and gave it this title deserves a drink. It made my night. :)

#TYBG

Well the first post as a separate forum was SK and it was all about why tablets suck sooooooooooo... it was probably Kit since he showed me  that a surface keyboard was $130
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Kit doesn't have moderator powers unless it was granted to him within the past year.

#TYBG

It was a joke, it was definitely SK
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Ill tell you ahat you have no chance at playing on  a tablet.
[Spoiler] Crysis.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Ltin on November 19, 2013, 02:25:40 PM
Ill tell you ahat you have no chance at playing on  a tablet.
[Spoiler] Crysis.[/spoiler]

Consider on the App Store there's the Infinity Blade series, and the Modern Combat series. Both games are very graphically intensive (I think they both run Unreal engine actually), and require a fair bit of power. However, they can both be played on tablets, and look graphically and visually stunning. They could almost compete with Crysis I think.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 19, 2013, 02:57:25 PM
Consider on the App Store there's the Infinity Blade series, and the Modern Combat series. Both games are very graphically intensive (I think they both run Unreal engine actually), and require a fair bit of power. However, they can both be played on tablets, and look graphically and visually stunning. They could almost compete with Crysis I think.
Perhaps the first one, but it will not run 3. Im 99.999999999999999999999999.999999.9% sure

November 19, 2013, 05:03:41 PM #24 Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:14:05 PM by tirpider
[ignorant opinion]
I think tablet's have a use, but gaming really isn't what I would use one for.

It would be cool to use a tablet in an inventory control or auditing situation. Portable, access to just enough 'umph' to run some decent spreadsheeting or tracking software. Though a simple palm pilot with a barcode scanner would be more durable and easier to manage while walking and working.

Reading in places where you spend a lot of time waiting. Perhaps even for note taking.

But use as a heavy computing device (ie, gaming) I feel the tablets would be awkward. I just can't justify owning one for any reason.

If you want a portable web device, you would probably be better served with an expensive phone. Something you can fit in your pocket. Unless you like lugging a backpack everywhere and having it searched in every store you go into but why are you carting an expensive computing device around to go shopping anyway? And if you need a backpack to keep it protected while walking around, why not get a semi decent laptop that can play some games as well?

Eh... skip it all... get a real computer, then a fancy phone and bypass the hassle of a tablet or a laptop altogether.
[/ignorant opinion]

-edit
Drawing.
That would be a good use of a tablet. But it would have to be one of the good ones with low latency on the touch screen, like an actual iPad. The others I have touched seemed like there was a slight delay or drag on the input, but the iPad,s were very responsive. So I can see them being quite useful as drawing apparatus.

Conversely, my old Tablet PC is awful for that. The screen is so thick, I can see the difference between where the pen tip is and where the lines are laying. Granted, I am not an artist, so ... I may be wrong about it being a good sketch medium.

ARM based tablets aren't capable of running anything on Crysis 1's level at the moment. Infinity Blade and Modern Combat (the latter is rather a mediocre series of games) are impressive considering the platforms they're running on but it's nowhere near AAA PC games.

To be frank, I'm pretty sure most of the people viewing this topic have yet to play Crysis 1 on high settings. There's no contest. ARM is rapidly evolving but it's not there yet.

I also mentioned earlier about my gripes playing games with relatively complicated controls on a touch screen. The player base for the most part isn't looking towards playing Call of Duty on a tablet simply due to the controls. It's a game best left for a full M+KB setup or a controller. While there are controllers available for tablets... it really hurts the purpose of a portable gaming machine if you can't hold the controller and the screen at the same time.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on November 19, 2013, 06:02:54 PM
ARM based tablets aren't capable of running anything on Crysis 1's level at the moment. Infinity Blade and Modern Combat (the latter is rather a mediocre series of games) are impressive considering the platforms they're running on but it's nowhere near AAA PC games.

To be frank, I'm pretty sure most of the people viewing this topic have yet to play Crysis 1 on high settings. There's no contest. ARM is rapidly evolving but it's not there yet.

I also mentioned earlier about my gripes playing games with relatively complicated controls on a touch screen. The player base for the most part isn't looking towards playing Call of Duty on a tablet simply due to the controls. It's a game best left for a full M+KB setup or a controller. While there are controllers available for tablets... it really hurts the purpose of a portable gaming machine if you can't hold the controller and the screen at the same time.
Is Crysis all that intensive on the CPU? You could probably run it off a high end ARM processor if you used all the cores. (And run the battery flat in a second lolololol) The GPU is more likely to be were the bottleneck comes in.

Phones will never reach the power of PCs. It simply isn't possible for the same reasons why consoles will never again reach the power of high end PCs. Everyone keeps developing there tech. While ARM evolves so does x86. While phone GPUs evolve so do PC GPUs.

But let's say ARM does overtake x86 performance wise. And phone GPUs become equal to PC GPUs. What is to stop the three major tech makers from just taking that tech and effectively super sizing it for PC?

tl;dr version

Phones/tablets will never match PCs for power. Not until Nanoprocessors become a thing at least. (Even then my earlier point still applies.)

I can run Crysis 2 on the highest settings...although my laptop would be in danger of melting after some time  :tu:

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 19, 2013, 06:27:45 PM
Is Crysis all that intensive on the CPU? You could probably run it off a high end ARM processor if you used all the cores. (And run the battery flat in a second lolololol) The GPU is more likely to be were the bottleneck comes in.

Phones will never reach the power of PCs. It simply isn't possible for the same reasons why consoles will never again reach the power of high end PCs. Everyone keeps developing there tech. While ARM evolves so does x86. While phone GPUs evolve so do PC GPUs.

But let's say ARM does overtake x86 performance wise. And phone GPUs become equal to PC GPUs. What is to stop the three major tech makers from just taking that tech and effectively super sizing it for PC?

tl;dr version

Phones/tablets will never match PCs for power. Not until Nanoprocessors become a thing at least. (Even then my earlier point still applies.)
[spoiler=in conclusion][/spoiler]