Endor Map Shadows aren't full

Started by Kit Fisto, July 08, 2013, 12:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was wondering why on Endor (SWBFI) the shadows aren't at maximum settings even though all my settings are maxed out?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 08, 2013, 12:56:00 PM
I was wondering why on Endor (SWBFI) the shadows aren't at maximum settings even though all my settings are maxed out?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My first thought is that the shadow isn't present in the unit on that mod.

If a unit does not have a sv_* shadow in it's MSH, then in has to have "-hiresshadow" in it's .option to tell the munger to make the shadow based on the visible geometry.

Otherwise the shadow comes out as a generic blob.

July 08, 2013, 02:57:49 PM #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:01:44 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: tirpider on July 08, 2013, 01:54:15 PM
My first thought is that the shadow isn't present in the unit on that mod.

If a unit does not have a sv_* shadow in it's MSH, then in has to have "-hiresshadow" in it's .option to tell the munger to make the shadow based on the visible geometry.

Otherwise the shadow comes out as a generic blob.

No the shadows are full on that guy.

I'll get a screenshot of stock IMP skins on that map. Hold on.

EDIT: Ok everything is stock here. Except for the common.lvl but I know my game does that even if I don't have any mods installed.

Stock Dark Trooper:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Stock Speeder Bike
[spoiler][/spoiler]

As far as I know, some special parameters of shadow regions, can disable shadows, for shadow "High" mode. Perhaps they can intercept a shadow quality parametrs, and this is a result, of theyr work.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Actually this would be another one of SWBFs amazing memory pool features at work. You see Endor has so much foliage and so many trees that to keep the game running it stops rendering shadows on high. I am pretty sure this is what this is at least.

I really wish we could increase these memory pools... Forget sixth classes, balancing out five classes while making them feel different is a challenge let alone 6 or the amount that SWBFII modders try and fail to do of 10. Increasing memory pools and optimizing the code are the main things I wouldn't mind having the source code for.

Quote from: SleepKiller on July 08, 2013, 06:51:09 PM
Actually this would be another one of SWBFs amazing memory pool features at work. You see Endor has so much foliage and so many trees that to keep the game running it stops rendering shadows on high. I am pretty sure this is what this is at least.

I had an idea that it was that cause. Besides, Endor is the only map with so much foliage in it of all the SWBF stock maps, that would explain why it wouldn't have enough memory to generate a shadow on maximum. Though I wonder if Phobos' No-Brush mod might help out and generate a maximum-setting shadow. I found it on the Mirror Index of [FC]'s Mods:

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3711.msg38881#msg38881

I actually have had that page bookmarked for quite some while, though I haven't used any of the mods listed on it at all. :P

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on July 08, 2013, 07:47:59 PM
I had an idea that it was that cause. Besides, Endor is the only map with so much foliage in it of all the SWBF stock maps, that would explain why it wouldn't have enough memory to generate a shadow on maximum. Though I wonder if Phobos' No-Brush mod might help out and generate a maximum-setting shadow. I found it on the Mirror Index of [FC]'s Mods:

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3711.msg38881#msg38881

I actually have had that page bookmarked for quite some while, though I haven't used any of the mods listed on it at all. :P
Cull made the endor no brush mod I think. I'm not sure if he properly removed the foliage chunks from the models themselves. I have made them invisible and this improves my FPS on endor somewhat, but it still lags if you zoom in certain places (same for yavin temple). I'll post fps and shadows comparison stats for stock endor, cull's endor, and my endor skin later.

July 08, 2013, 08:16:34 PM #7 Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:13:48 AM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: SleepKiller on July 08, 2013, 06:51:09 PM
the amount that SWBFII modders try and fail to do of 10.
True that! I find very few mods that do a good job with more than the standard 6 classes.

See edit!
[spoiler]How come in this movie it looks like Endor has full shadows? http://youtu.be/Jo2uEzOdlGM[/spoiler]

Edit: watched the video more closely. I guess he also didn't have full shadows.

SWBFI Xbox version (which has full shadowing) also disables full shadows on Endor.
SWBFI PS2 version (which only has partial shadowing) just has a way better looking Endor map.

Would making endor an addon map and having the mapID be something else "solve" the problem?