[HELP] SWBFI Better Visual Settings?

Started by Kit Fisto, June 23, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 23, 2013, 10:12:42 PM
Phobos, what are all those command lines you have there?
Well they are basically as they sound
/nointro removes the intro advertisements and lets you play right away
/nowait removes the shell menu transitions which slow down menu navigation
/nostartupmusic removes the star wars theme from main menu when on game launch
/nomovies removes the background shell movies and disables campaign transition videos as well as map flyby videos in the missionselect (instant action) menu
/noframelock lets you play at a higher FPS than a server has placed depending on your hardware and other settings

Hmm, the only thing I would take away were the intro movies. I like the music and the fly by feel of the menu. :shrug:

Quote from: Phobos on June 23, 2013, 10:20:35 PM
Well they are basically as they sound
/nointro removes the intro advertisements and lets you play right away
/nowait removes the shell menu transitions which slow down menu navigation
/nostartupmusic removes the star wars theme from main menu when on game launch
/nomovies removes the background shell movies and disables campaign transition videos as well as map flyby videos in the missionselect (instant action) menu
/noframelock lets you play at a higher FPS than a server has placed depending on your hardware and other settings

So basically, if I had nointro, nowait, and noframelock, I could run SWBF1 like I was on my desktop! :D

June 24, 2013, 08:52:52 AM #18 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:04:47 AM by {PLA}gdh92
I use mine on all max except with no motion blur and it says I have 350+fps. :)
I have a question for SK/anyone who might know; If I put my graphics card to 32x Antialliasing and have it set to override the games settings will it improve battlefront or is battlefront limited to 8x with its programming?
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on June 24, 2013, 06:55:49 AM
So basically, if I had nointro, nowait, and noframelock, I could run SWBF1 like I was on my desktop! :D
What do you mean run it like it was on your desktop?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 24, 2013, 12:19:56 PM
What do you mean run it like it was on your desktop?

I mean when I played SWBF on my desktop, I had no waiting, the intro went fast, and I don't think there was really a framelock. Though I might try these out (as soon as I know how to put them in). :P

/noframelock will make effects seem to drag behind the objects they are attached to, such as the jetpack, rockets/missiles, torches, grenade glow, etc..

It also seems to give me a little animation lag (for complex moves, anyways), and turrets and things that have a 'hinge' like to lag, but still work just fine.

I do not support /noframelock, it's practically useless. You may gain FPS, but the gameplay looks funky.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on June 24, 2013, 04:47:18 PM
I do not support /noframelock, it's practically useless. You may gain FPS, but the gameplay looks funky.
Think what you want but I find it helps increase midair shot accuracy by alot. I can deal with a little animation lag for smoother gameplay like SP. Far from useless. 30 frames looks horrible on my 1920 x 1080 screen.

Quote from: Phobos on June 24, 2013, 04:48:19 PM
Think what you want but I find it helps increase midair shot accuracy by alot. I can deal with a little animation lag for smoother gameplay like SP. Far from useless.
Hmm, I guess you're right. I should've thought that out before saying so, though I don't tend to get many airkills on purpose anyways :P

It depends alot on your hardware and other settings too. NFL doesn't work properly for everyone. Servers that have been hosted for a while spike up easier which is why I have to constantly rehost my servers.

Also when the server has /tps 60 then Noframelock is much smoother than a 30 tps server and more shots register.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on June 24, 2013, 08:52:52 AM
I use mine on all max except with no motion blur and it says I have 350+fps. :)
I have a question for SK/anyone who might know; If I put my graphics card to 32x Antialliasing and have it set to override the games settings will it improve battlefront or is battlefront limited to 8x with its programming?
Lot of Anti-Aliasing. If your GPU can maintain the framerate, then yes it will. Although 8x Super-Sampling Anti-Aliasing (Somewhere around where you can force your Anti-Aliasing there should be a place to select the method to use.) will probably produce a better image, so start there. Increase till your FPS starts to dip below your monitors refresh rate.

Also if you can, enable Anisotropic Filtering in your GPU control panel, you'll be surprised at how much it can boost image quality. And it doesn't have as great impact on performance as Anti-Aliasing. (AA and AF are two different things you should use them both if your GPU is up for it.

For those of the curious click below for an explanation of what SSAA and AF do!
[spoiler]SSAA- Just like MSAA it couters jagged edges. Except unlike MSAA it samples on a sub-pixel level producing much better results.

Anisotropic Filtering- Boosts the quality of textures. It samples on a sub-pixel level and enhances them.
[/spoiler]

June 24, 2013, 07:53:48 PM #26 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:10:13 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on June 24, 2013, 07:23:17 PM
Also if you can, enable Anisotropic Filtering in your GPU control panel, you'll be surprised at how much it can boost image quality. And it doesn't have as great impact on performance as Anti-Aliasing. (AA and AF are two different things you should use them both if your GPU is up for it.
For Anisotropic Filtering, do you recommend using default application settings, or custom (2x, 4x, 8x, 16x)?

This is what I have currently
http://s12.postimg.org/tolote4u3/ati.png

edit: i just changed it to 16x and the texture quality looks way better ingame thanks SK.
Update: this causes a few bugs with the unit animations such as dark jets hovering (like clone jets) when they shouldn't

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a play around with settings when I get chance.
[spoiler]I've just got The last of us on PS3 so I don't have much time at the moment, :)[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Late post

There is another thing you can do, depending on your video driver. For example, I have nvidia and through it I have three options for performance/graphics: 1) let nvidia choose what is best, 2) set it to pure performance, or 3) set it to pure graphics. I have mine set to max performance.