[HELP] SWBFI Better Visual Settings?

Started by Kit Fisto, June 23, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 23, 2013, 04:09:41 PM Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:26:34 PM by Kit Fisto
I have a question for you guys. Now that I play SWBFI on a computer that can handle the (almost) top graphics of SWBFI I would like to know, of these 2 visual settings which I would get more of a visual experience?
Like which video settings option would I have SWBFI looking better.

Video Options 1: [spoiler][/spoiler]

Video Options 2: [spoiler][/spoiler]

The main thing is the different resolutions, vsync, and anti-antialiasing.

Use first one with view distance set at max (as lod distance), and then use /noframelock command
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Well I just figured out that I can run with all settings on max! So much for this topic. But what is the noframelock command? How do I use it? Will it improve performance?

Ignore him and I'll tell you what all of that means.

View Distance - Controls the distance SWBF will render to. Higher is better.

LOD Distance - Controls the distance at which stuff will switch to low resolution versions. Higher in case you didn't guess it is better.

V-Sync - This limits the game's frame rate with your monitors refresh rate. This should be left on unless your bench marking.

Resolution - Sets the display resolution, higher is better. (But SWBF only lists 4:3 ones. I'll probably include the ability for mac users to change there resolution in The Battle Royale.)

Anti-Aliasing - Ah, Anti-Aliasing the most expensive thing games can do, so much so that in modern games I can lose around 30-45 FPS by using it. The only thing I can say here is try it and see if the frame rate drops. If it doesn't use, if it does don't. What it does is remove (Or try to) the jagged edges of models.

Ah that makes more sense now. I'm a little confused on V-Sync though. What do you mean by bench marking?

And what is the noframeratelock thing?

Like I said ignore him. He doesn't know what you are really asking. Bench marking is something hardcore gamers do to test how well their rig is handling a game. I think it is safe to say you are not one.

/noframelock is a commandline argument that can be used to unlock the framerate in MP. (MP is locked based off the hosts ticks per second.) It is not with out draw backs as video glitches will occur. I think it is safe to say you don't need this.

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 23, 2013, 05:34:59 PM
Like I said ignore him. He doesn't know what you are really asking. Bench marking is something hardcore gamers do to test how well their rig is handling a game. I think it is safe to say you are not one.

/noframelock is a commandline argument that can be used to unlock the framerate in MP. (MP is locked based off the hosts ticks per second.) It is not with out draw backs as video glitches will occur. I think it is safe to say you don't need this.
Yea I'm no hardcore gamer.  8)

And sense I can't play multiplayer I guess /noframelock isn't something I'll ever have to worry about.

I'm curious, how will you get widescreen support in The Battle Royal Mod? Even using my PC wine port thing I only have 2 resolution options. But on SWBFII I can play widescreen without any mods installed.

Also when I went to my friends house and he reinstalled SWBFI (1.0 sense he has the CD version) his game created widescreen mode by default. Or was it stretching the screen? I couldn't really tell...

Battlebelk has a mod for wide screen resolutions.

Your friends display was stretched.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Yea I have tried to use the custom resolution launcher but I can't find a way to launch SWBFI using the custom launcher inside the wrapper. If I were to get it to work I would need help finding a way to change which .exe the wrapper launches. Anyone have experience in that matter?

Anti-Aliasing - is most imprtant thing for me. It always should be on max x8, or all my hovers become impossible to drive. They start rollinng, and turns upside down. Perhaps, only theyr hard eges hold them on the ground stabil.

my Shadow Quality is low - it looks more realistic, and also, some custom maps, look's buggy, when it's high.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Ok here is my ingame settings and also my SWBF1 launcher.INI

[spoiler]
http://s21.postimg.org/hfqcseyit/phobossettings.png

[CMD]
COMMAND_LINE=/nointro /nowait /nostartupmusic /nomovies /noframelock

[IN_GAME_RESOLUTION]
WIDTH=1920
HEIGHT=1080   
[/spoiler]

Sereja is right about antialiasing I always recommend using 8x.
Shadows off seems to increase FPS alot for me. Motion blur and Distortion effects only disrupt my aim so I always have them disabled.

Quote from: Sereja on June 23, 2013, 07:34:15 PM
Anti-Aliasing - is most imprtant thing for me. It always should be on max x8, or all my hovers become impossible to drive. They start rollinng, and turns upside down. Perhaps, only theyr hard eges hold them on the ground stabil.
Wait, what? Anti-Aliasing should not impact collision what so ever. Nothing in the video settings should effect game logic.

Here is a direct comparison of what it does Kit, decide for your self if you want to use it or not. Keep in mind nothing drains your frame rate like this AA. be sure to click on the images to view them full size to see the difference.

Without-
http://oi44.tinypic.com/24dh9b6.jpg
With-
http://oi41.tinypic.com/qoc60g.jpg

Can't see it? I'll give you a hint, look at the edge of the models.

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 23, 2013, 08:04:06 PM
Wait, what? Anti-Aliasing should not impact collision what so ever. Nothing in the video settings should effect game logic.

Well, perhaps it should not, but does. Seems relatioship, between hover floating effect, and terrain & water, depends exactly by video settings. It also may depend by different videocard. I am used few of them, so I know: for some of them need Anti-Aliasing, for other is not. My current videocard (ATI), required it settings to x8, plus, I have to set on max videocard options, named "Smoothvision", and set it to "Wide-tent".
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Well I can play on all max settings so I'll just do that. If I get frame rate drop then I'll lower AA. Water and shadows always cause lots of lag.

Sereja why don't you have all settings maxed out? Being Ito beauty and all. :P

Phobos, what are all those command lines you have there?