Looking for "cheap" xbox & SWBFI/II

Started by Kit Fisto, November 18, 2012, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 18, 2012, 03:48:22 PM #30 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:50:50 PM by SleepKiller
Quote from: Roxas on November 18, 2012, 02:24:06 PM
Well, for one they aren't dumb. I can't really say straight up since it's been.....I don't even know how long since I've played on a console version of SWBF. But I definitely enjoyed the games much more than the PS2 version. It's like the game producers made the game for Xbox, then said "Hey, let's slap together a quick port for the PS2."
Well actually SWBF was designed to be on multiple platforms, I can't say if it was the plan from day one. But it seems like it was judging from the scripts and the way Pandemic had there build folders setup.

Also,
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/star-wars-battlefront/32865
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/star-wars-battlefront-ii/38695
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/consoles/playstation-2-system-gamestop-refurbished/36743

If Gamestop isn't a reliable seller then I don't know what is.

Thanks for that PS2 Gamespot link SK.  :tu:
So you are saying the AI are the same in all platforms? Without the 1.1/1.2/1.3 updates?

I'm not saying that at all. The odds are the AI is slightly worse on the PS2, it isn't as powerful as an xBox. But I have own SWBF and SWBFII on the PS2. I love them brilliant with friend's in split screen.

On my old xbox I played mostly SWBF I & II, with a little bit of NFL/NCAA 2k series.  I ended up selling it, and have had a PS2 last few years, and only play the same games once in a while.  Xbox SWBF is better, but it is not bad on PS2. 

It will look better on a CRT television, however everything these days is LCD or Plasma, so I would suggest whatever system you get, invest in a component video cable, you will get the best picture possible with these. 

As far as the gamepad goes, Xbox controls seem a little better than PS2 controls.  I prefer gamepads to mouse control, and I even use a gamepad on the PC SWBF I & II.

November 18, 2012, 11:31:39 PM #34 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:32:04 AM by tirpider
As for all thhe PS2 vs XBox stuff.. I will always prefer the preformance of PS2 over my Xbox..
The Xbox is louder than the box fan in the window. (cd drive and fan are just loud)
And it's controller is just whack..

But some folks like Xbox (a lot of folks, actually.)
And there are fantastic titles that make it a more than worthwhile purchase..  The Oddworld series, KotOR.....

ps2 is all SWBF for me though. If I got rid of every console and game, I would keep that pair, multiplayer or not.
(I might keep Katamari too...)
I just wish we could mod for it.

I haven't tried the PS2 servers lately. The links Buckler provided say they are still up
http://bobzent.info/gsstatusget.php?game=swbfrontps2p

http://gstadmin.gamespy.net/masterserver/index.aspx?gamename=swbfrontps2p&fields=%5Chostname%5Chostport%5Cgamever%5Ccountry%5Cmapname%5Cgametype%5Cgamemode%5Cnumplayers%5Cmaxplayers%5Cgroupid&overridemaster=&filter=

Who knows how long that will last though..

I haven't tried 'tunngle'-ing the ps2.  I have a theory, but it requires extra hardware that I can't find at the moment.

I think It would be a blast to play everyone on the PS2. but if the master server's are an issue and tunngle-ing is a mess of network cables, it may not happen.

-edit
Forgot links...
Used PS2 on Amazon
PS2 SWBF used on Amazon
PS2 SWBF2 used on Amazon

How do i know if i have the online patch for ps2 swbf?

Start the PS2 without a disc, then open the browser and look at the files on your memory card.

It will have the BF graphic and 'patch' in it's name.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 18, 2012, 04:30:04 PM
But I have own SWBF and SWBFII on the PS2. I love them brilliant with friend's in split screen.
Good cause that's really all I'm doing. Plus I'll still have SWBF for my Mac to play Coruscant: City and Streets! You can't live without those addon maps!  8)
So I'm definitly going with the PS2 because it's cheaper. Everything is cheaper for the PS2.

Now onto the next thing that's troubling me. The controllers.  :o Which brands!? Do I get used or new?! Price is still an issue! What brands last the longest?! One comes with the game system, so I'm thinking I'll need at least 2 more, 1 for my little brother, and 1 for his/my friend...

November 19, 2012, 08:04:25 AM #38 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:44:27 AM by tirpider
The PS2 has only 2 memory card and controller ports.  So to run 3, you will need a Multi-Tap. (it will split a port so you can plug 2 controllers into one.)

After 'playing the field', I stick with the Sony Dualshock 2 controller that comes with the system.
I've been through 3 of them by myself and though they may cost more, you will appreciate the quality years after the madcatz controllers have failed.

madcatz controllers will be the least expensive, though.

The best advice I can give is to avoid the ones that 'double' as a programable usb computer gamepad. 
I have a Thrustmaster Dual Trigger PC/PS2 and it's awful.
The analog is always off and there is no resistance on the thumbsticks. It feels wierd and cheap.

Try to hold one before buying it. If you have to stretch your fingers to find buttons, keep looking.

Thanks for the info Tirpider! I'm not getting a MutiTap thing because if any of my friends/ brothers friends come over we'll just take turns.  :) Plus I don't think it's that worth it.

I have gone with getting 2 of this brand from gamestop http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/accessories/sony-playstation-2-dual-shock-controller-used/19509 . They are used but the ratings are all great. I'm getting 2 in case the one that comes with the console breaks. And I remeber using that kind when I played SWBF with my friend a couple hundred years ago.  :XD:

So the total comes out as $90.95 ( without tax ). I think that's fair especially for all the stuff coming with it!

The next question, can I hook it up to a modern TV without getting any adapter cords?

Less than $100 is good.
Some may argue that you can get it cheaper, but I'm always willing to pay a little more just to buy from not-so-shady sources.

Adapter-
I remember mine came with the composite AV adapter.
(Yellow and red for video and audio)

But I bought a madcatz one that had S-Video and RGB connectors. (Madcatz is perfect for this sort of thing.)

I don't know if they made/make an HDMI for the PS2. Seems like overkill if they did.

A modern TV should have at least 2 of the above ones.

At the worst, a lot of sets have either the rgb or composite (Yellow and red) conectors on the front or side for easy access.

I could get it cheaper, but like you said, I would rather have good products instead of spending more money to buy the same thing but from a better store.  :)

Sorry that I don't really understand what you said about the adapter ( I've never had a game system before ), you are saying all I need to have for the PS2 to work are the yellow and red sockets on the side ( or wherever they are ) of the TV?

Sockets vary on the country you're in but my PS2 plugs into the same socket as a dvd/vhs player would. Unless you have a very small TV and probably even then you should have a socket for a PS2. My PS2 came with an adaptor anyway for diferent sockets.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 19, 2012, 09:13:55 AM
you are saying all I need to have for the PS2 to work are the yellow and red sockets on the side ( or wherever they are ) of the TV?

Pretty much.

Here is an example: [spoiler]
Just the top 3.
[/spoiler]

And I was wrong about the one audio plug.. it will be 2 plugs, red and white. (sorry, been a while since I unplugged it)

So 3 total.
Yellow = video
Red and white = right and left audio

Ok! And yay!  :cheer: I just checked the TV's in my house and they both have those 3 sockets!  :cheer:
Thanks for your help guys.  8)
Now I just have to wait for Christmas... :nervous:

Oh and how much will tax and shipping add to $90.95? It's all coming from GameStop online.