Building a computer

Started by Rexy, July 05, 2010, 09:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was finally convinced to use newegg to make a computer but i kinda need a list of the materials needed. I know your need a processor and graphic card but that's about it ;P
I think ill need a liquid cooling thing or something because the processor I want to get is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115223&cm_re=intel_i7_980x-_-19-115-223-_-Product
Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
btw: What is overclocking?

Rex, why do you want to get a processor that powerful? Are you running the entire US government computer network from one machine?

You may want to start here... http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/19159

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Im a secret spy ^^
But im just getting this because i dont want to have to buy a new computer until i go to college.
Ill check out the link now ^^

Rex you don't need anything close to that fast of a.computer. go for a nice quad core and focus on a decent graphics card if you are wanting to play games. I mean...I didn't even know they had 6 core processors yet for the consumer market...

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

6 cores sounds like a nice round number though unlike 4  :sick:
Besides games use processors not graphic cards more silly  :P

There is alot to learn about what you want. What do you want to get out of the pc you are picturing here? Do you have a good amount of money to cover all the parts? I like the idea you placed about how games use processors and stuff. I wonder where it can be verified.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/cpus/l/aaOverclock.htm

"Many people probably don't know what overclocking is but have possibly heard the term used before. To put it in its simplest terms, overclocking is taking a computer component such as a processor and running at a specification higher than rated by the manufacturer. Every part produced by companies such as Intel and AMD are rated for a specific speeds. They have tested the capabilities of the part and certified it for that given speed. Of course, most parts are underrated for increased reliability. Overclocking a part simply takes advantage of the remaining potential out of a computer part that the manufacturer is unwilling to certify"

Basically means if you have some graphics card, you can overclock it to make it better. You have to be careful though because you can mess up whatever your overclocking easily if you set it too high. I don't know how to do it, but I know what it is   8)
-Wild

Most games aren't actually good for multi-core processors. THose are only useful for performance applications like rendering movies or models, animation, and image editing. Games will run just as good, if not better, on a quad core than a hex core. Graphics card is most important when you want gaming performance.

Thanks Wild =)
@Jk: Why wouldnt games be able to run on tetracores?

They aren't designed for the architecture, and games can't take advantage of multiple cores if they aren't coded to do so. Most newer games are getting better at it, but the older games are not engineered for the multiple-core processors.

Red is probably better than me at answering this but video games are becoming more and more dependant on GPUs nowadays. Don't worry Rex, a quad core processor won't be obselete anytime soon.

I could still run games on a 6 core computer though right?

Most certainly. I'm just saying that it is not absolutely necessary to have one.

Quote from: WusiSs.Rexy on July 05, 2010, 09:31:04 PM
6 cores sounds like a nice round number though unlike 4  :sick:
Besides games use processors not graphic cards more silly  :P

Just like when we all heard about the brand new 233 MHz PowerPC Processor. It was a rocket!

But no seriously, there's no need for a 6-core processor by today's standards and that isn't going to change for quite some time.

#TYBG

besides, games today are optimized for Dual Core Processors arent they?

Recently on Engadget they had an interview with the CEO of Intel where he was discussing a *fued* between him and NVIDIA. In that fued he made the response that GPU nowadays can *only* process data 10x faster than his core i7 CPUs. Sad day when a CEO brags about being 10x slower than other hardware makers isnt it?

i tell ya what, if you want some real gaming id say go buy a nice Graphics card, some allow you to game in HD and a more life like experience.