Dan's Boot and Nuke

Started by Soap Mactavish, June 03, 2010, 06:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 03, 2010, 06:25:44 AM Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:42:29 AM by Soap Mactavish
ok, so i am how i am supposed to install windows after i wipe the hard drive with DBAN. Do i just boot from the installation cd?

lol believe it or not i couldnt find this anywhere on google.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

When I wipe my hard drive I use either the cds that came with the pc or the features in vista to restore and wipe the hard drive. And with the windows xp operating system cd I just follow the directions and that also wipes the hard drive. I have been ok with those methods. Hope you can find someone here that knows how to help you with your method.

using the features on Windows to wipe the hard drive doesnt get rid of everything permanently. (at least what cnet said) My dell is infested with viruses and i am looking forward to upgrading it to Windows 7.

Never heard of DBAN. You can wipe the harddrive during the install. It's as simple as that.

Detailed instructions here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

#TYBG

June 03, 2010, 10:12:33 AM #4 Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:23:48 AM by Soap Mactavish
i dont really care how the clean install goes but my only request is that the viruses already on my computer never reappear. Another issue is that my computer wont let me even boot up, i can get to my account and i can barely move from there. Can i do that clean install from a "boot from CD mode"? that is the only functionality that computer has atm.

my plan was to use boot and nuke to wipe my hard drive permanently then do the install. if you would like a link to the software i am talking about it is below.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

the only issues i have hear of resulting from the use of this software is a hardware failure. but that only results from, of course, faulty hardware. (my computer doesnt have faulty hardware  ;) )

the answer is to reformat your hard drives. The only thing is that nothing will be on them so you will have to reinstall your OS. But it sounds like you want to install win 7 anyway.

apparently reformatting your hard drive doesnt wipe everything off of it to a point where data is unrecoverable.

ok, so can I boot from the windows 7 install disc to install windows 7 and reformat my hard drive? like I said b4 I have almost no functionality from booting from my hard disk

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on June 03, 2010, 04:05:39 PM
ok, so can I boot from the windows 7 install disc to install windows 7 and reformat my hard drive? like I said b4 I have almost no functionality from booting from my hard disk
I thought ever pc came with cd restore disks untill I leaned some could be restored from information on thier hard drive. It makes sense if you can't use the methods to restore you opertating system to its original condition then you have big problem. I bet the windows 7 install disc is an upgrade disk.

not if you buy the 200$ disc.

Quote from: Michiel = mi-shi-el on June 03, 2010, 04:31:17 PM
I bet the windows 7 install disc is an upgrade disk.
I should have asked if your windows 7 disk is the upgrade version seeing that your system already has operating system. I imagine a 200 dollar disk of window 7 would compliment a brand new hard drive. Which is your case on the type of windows 7 version, upgrade?

no cull, i am running XP which doesnt have a windows 7 upgrade compatible with it. thats why i bought the  200$ Windows 7 install disc.

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on June 03, 2010, 06:06:57 PM
no cull, i am running XP which doesnt have a windows 7 upgrade compatible with it. thats why i bought the  200$ Windows 7 install disc.
Actually, the upgrade disk is compatible with XP. You just do a clean install with it, and so you would not have needed to buy the more expensive install disk.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Jedikiller is correct and cost less. It makes sense now what you want to do if I am correct. Wipe everything and anything from the hard drive to start the windows 7 upgrade as per the onscreen set up instructions. And getting drivers for the dell wont be a problem after you install the windows 7 operating system? What stage are at now?

atm, I just reconfigured my BIOS to boot from disk so I can go ahead and reformat my hard disc. once I do that ill reinstall XP. and ik how to get to windows 7 from there.

just to reiterate, I can reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP by booting from my XP install disc correct?