Help Running Steam

Started by Jon415, May 13, 2010, 06:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Soap Mactavish on May 15, 2010, 01:34:46 PM
your opertating system is too old. Sorry jon forgot about to requirements of steam. Do you have access to another Computer that runs a newer OS?
Newer computer with newer OS, yes.  Access, no.
So tomorrow i will plug my school laptop PC into my internet modem at school and then download steam.  Then i "buy" portal.  But after i buy portal, will i  be able to download it on my mac even if steam wont work on my mac?

i thought you said your school blocked steam.

no, your mac wont support steam because it runs panther, you will however be able to access it once you get your new PC.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

May 16, 2010, 05:19:20 PM #17 Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:24:35 PM by ag
Quote from: Jon415 on May 15, 2010, 09:25:42 PM
Newer computer with newer OS, yes.  Access, no.
So tomorrow i will plug my school laptop PC into my internet modem at school and then download steam.  Then i "buy" portal.  But after i buy portal, will i  be able to download it on my mac even if steam wont work on my mac?

Quote from: Red on May 16, 2010, 04:29:40 PM
Your best bet is installing steam on a windows computer at home, even if you can't run it.

What Red said. Don't bother trying to get it working in school, go play some indie games/emulators on school computers if you're that desperate. Also remember that you must be logged into Steam to play any of your games, including portal. You can't just download it and expect it to work without Steam. If that was possible, games would have been pirated far worse than what we have right now.

Also, how do you expect Portal to run on your Panther laptop when you can't even run Steam? Does that make sense?

#TYBG

No it does not make sense.  I looked up steam though and saw sys req was os 10.3.9.  I think.  Well anyway i pluged my school laptop computer into my internet router modem thing at home and i got steam to work :cheer:  Also it said in my games library that i had already purchased portal.  So i downloaded it.  In the last 20 mb or so it said download suspended and it wouldnt finish.  yes i tried clicking pause and stuff but it wouldnt finish the download.  I think ill just try steam again on my newer computer when i get it because my old school laptop was constantly freezing up on steam.

Portal is free to play until the 24th of May. After that requires a purchase. I've bought Portal about a year ago (maybe longer) so this deal isn't much for the people who already own it.

It's quite odd for it to stop downloading, maybe Steam's servers got overloaded (doesn't happen often). Maybe try restarting Steam and see if it can let you resume your download?

If Steam itself is freezing on your old laptop, don't expect it to run Portal smoothly. In fact don't expect older laptops to run 3D games in the first place.

#TYBG

as long as you purchase the game you can download it on your new PC for free.

So if it downloaded, that means i purchased it?

@ag, i wont get a chance to go on my school computer again because they have to be turned into the school on friday and my school blocks steam's server thing (what red said earlier).  I'm fairly certain that i purchased portal and i will try it on my PC which i just ordered today.

download =purchase

You have to download it completely?

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on May 18, 2010, 05:05:54 AM
download =purchase

Not exactly. Steam sometimes does free weekends to allow people to download and play the game for free for three or so days. After that time is up, you need to purchase the game to continue playing it. Steam usually puts the game on sale afterward if it is doing a free weekend.

Portal's free until the 24th of May on Mac and PC. Today is the 18th, so Portal will be available to download and play without a purchase for the remaining 6 days. If you've purchased Portal already, that means that the game is available for you to download and play forever. ALL of your games are tied to YOUR account. So let's say you have Counter Strike, Half Life, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4, Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc. You can download any of the games you bought anytime, as many times, and on any computer you want under your Steam account.

Since you said that you already purchased Portal, there's nothing left to do but to download the game and play it. Portal is available to download and play on ANY computer ANY time because you own it. Once it's downloaded, all you have to do is log into Steam and launch it.

And yes, to play a game completely, you need to download it completely.

#TYBG

May 18, 2010, 10:26:47 AM #25 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:53:27 PM by Hardcore
Quote from: ValvePortal is free. Free on the Mac. Free on the PC. But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.

This is not a really long "free weekend" Portal is free if you download it in the time from the 12th to the 24th

As i understand you own portal now, if you clicked download. there is nothing wrong with just redownloading it tho, to be safe.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

no just start it

My school computer is at school now and at school i cant acess steam.  I may or may not be able to bring my school computer home and retry downloading portal again before this friday when i have to turn my computer in.  Well it sounds like I'll be fine.  Thanks for the help  :)

your welcome

Quote from: Jon415 on May 18, 2010, 06:18:29 PM
My school computer is at school now and at school i cant acess steam.  I may or may not be able to bring my school computer home and retry downloading portal again before this friday when i have to turn my computer in.  Well it sounds like I'll be fine.  Thanks for the help  :)
For the last time, you don't need to download it. Just as long as it associates with your account.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/
Is portal listed there? Then you're good.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)