Help Running Steam

Started by Jon415, May 13, 2010, 06:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok so i made my steam account, verified the email, downloaded steam, installed, launched the program, and it said that i was not connected to the internet.  I also very nearly completely screwed up my school computer trying to connect to the internet, because apparently "connecting to the internet" is not the same as going on the internet with internet explorer.  how do i open internet connect or whatever? (this may be a stupic question but ive been on macs forever and am new to pc computers)

you need to go to your network and sharing center and connect to your WiFi network. you can find network and sharing center in your control panel. once you do this then internet explorer should work.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Ok.  I think my school's network may be different or something but i dunno much about internet so ill try this tomorrow.

maybe, which Operating system does your school use?

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on May 14, 2010, 04:17:27 AM
maybe, which Operating system does your school use?

Windows XP

Quote from: Red on May 14, 2010, 01:28:02 PM
Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it.

I tried that four times.  Still said i had to be connected to the internet to login.  Might it have anything to to with school website blocks?

School prolly blocked all connections to Steam/Valve. That happened in my school. Not surprised.

#TYBG

yea, that is exactly your issue. on your school computer, see if you can connect to google. If you can but you cannot connect to steampowered.com then the blocks are your issue.

I will plug my school computer into my modem at home, totally different internet with no blocks.  That should do it...I hope

I think red is right.  I could acess the steam website just fine but i couldnt connect to the internal whatever thing.

red, based on my webblocks at my school that is the issues i am having. OUR school uses keywords to block websites. i.e hacker, hacks, hacking/ games gaming

i would assume that steampowered.com has several hits on those keywords making me think that it would be blocked in that manner. Because that is how my school does it, i thought that maybe jon's school did to. even though you are in the steam application the router (since that is where the *web blocking* takes place) checks the keywords and blocks if necessary. At least thats what they do at my school.

sorry i didnt mean to come across as arrogant.

May 15, 2010, 11:29:56 AM #10 Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:33:22 AM by Soap Mactavish
My schools blocks are directed by our county. My teacher assisted on the setting up of our schools network and showed us how they actually put the blocks on the router (additional blocks, not counting the ones provided my my county).

Could jon possibly order portal by phone if he cannot connect to steam b4 the May 24 deadline comes?

well that solves it. Just get your panther mac and dl portal. then once you get your PC you can redownload it for free. correct?

I downloaded steam on my panther computer, and it wont launch.  Is this a problem?

your opertating system is too old. Sorry jon forgot about to requirements of steam. Do you have access to another Computer that runs a newer OS?

Hey, maybe it's the ports?

Perhaps the port that it's trying to connect through, the school has blocked/closed.

???
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay