Graphic Cards

Started by Katarn, April 27, 2010, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ag, I was reading that sense snow leopard, it is now legal!

You cannot legally install any version of OSX on any non-Apple manufactured machine.

Plus, it won't run as smooth.

OS X is designed for Apple computers.

9800 GTX is good, but not excellent.

The ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB (not 5570 like your post says, but 5750 like the link says) is probably as good as the 9800 GTX. Maybe a bit better on numbers, but unnoticeable considering gameplay.

you may wanna hurry up and finish this topic b4 Red sees it. It is illegal to install snow leopard on anything other than mac. (or maybe take the post out)

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Thank you guys I will take what you said under advisement.

*stupid question* does that mean that running OSX on a netbook be practical? since the hardware is the same

What about the 5570 ?  I'm pretty sure thats the one from the original post

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on April 29, 2010, 08:20:09 PM
*stupid question* does that mean that running OSX on a netbook be practical? since the hardware is the same

Netbook? A netbook can barely run windows properly. Anyway, the hardware needs to be made by Apple so it runs as smooth as it can. What limits it is not the capacity of the hardware but who made it.

OSX was made for Apple products, if you simply insert the CD on another computer (aka PC) it will not install it. You would need to hack it. Hence the name of Hackintosh.

Apple wants its product to run on the computers they made so it is efficient, since they know how to program it and how the hardware could limit what the software can do. If Microsoft designed their own computers, Windows would run smoother on them than in Dell's, HP's or any other computer.

Quote from: Jon415 on April 29, 2010, 09:09:37 PM
What about the 5570 ?  I'm pretty sure thats the one from the original post

Again, like Red say, you could google "5570 benchmark" or "5570 review" and you could draw your own conclusions.

Some reference:
Anything over 24 fps (frames per second) should run alright, but you want to aim higher.

30 fps: Good for games that don't move a lot. Alright on others. Should be playable.

50 fps and above: good enough for most games to run smoothly and playable.

That's just reference, you will need to draw your own conclusions after experimenting.

Anyway, the 5570 its a basic graphics card. Don't expect it to be able to play today's games on settings higher than low, medium at max. The 9800 GTX is better than the 5570 but not as good as the 5750.

Thank you guys for all your help! I think I will stick with the 9800 GTX 1GB of ram. Unless you guys know of a card that's just as cheap but much better.

P.S. Thanks agian you guys for all you help with this. Looking at all those benchmarks gives you all the specs but not the back story that you gave me!

Quote from: shadow on April 29, 2010, 10:20:26 PM
Netbook? A netbook can barely run windows properly. Anyway, the hardware needs to be made by Apple so it runs as smooth as it can. What limits it is not the capacity of the hardware but who made it.

OSX was made for Apple products, if you simply insert the CD on another computer (aka PC) it will not install it. You would need to hack it. Hence the name of Hackintosh.

Apple wants its product to run on the computers they made so it is efficient, since they know how to program it and how the hardware could limit what the software can do. If Microsoft designed their own computers, Windows would run smoother on them than in Dell's, HP's or any other computer.

uhh no. i think red just said the hardware was the same.

Quote from: Red on April 30, 2010, 02:49:55 PM
A tad wrong, mate. Non-apple hardware will run just as fine as apple-approved. The main reason they limit hardware is money-I've said many times that my main problem is Apple inducing ridiculous markups on every one of their products. The other, smaller reason is for everything to be more stable since everything is running according to what they've spec'd it at. Nothing to do with efficiency.

Well, I've been proven wrong after looking more into the issue.

Here's a netbook compatibility list I found:

http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/

You can also google "hackintosh netbook" or something among those lines.