10 (50%)
Microsoft Windows
7 (35%)
Linux
3 (15%)
BSD
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

It's better if you number all the tips anyways. Just give credit for every tip that you've obtained from another person.

BTW, my original post on the admin hack is somewhere deep in the forum.

#TYBG

Quote from: Russell on November 12, 2009, 04:21:11 PM
tip #1

this forum is primarily based on making your computer faster based on techniques ive learned through experience through some computing classes.

The advice im going to give today is going to help improve the gaming performance of your pc.  To do this i would strongly recommend updating your RAM. In fact, your CPU speed has little to do with the speed of your computer. While CPU cost is extremely high, RAM cost is relatively low compared with the improvements that would come from taking my advice. To find the correct parts for your computer there are several great places to get that information. instead of paying for geek squad. just go to your manufacturer's site or google your FULL computer name followed by technical specifications.

tip #2

If anyone is looking for a reliable word processing program, i recommend Microsoft Office (this is important because i rarely recommend anything from microsoft). However, if you cant afford to pay for this costly program, there is a free program available for both mac and pc called OpenOffice. This is basically a free download of the entire office suite. THIS IS ENTIRELY LEGAL. I am certain that this application doesn't give you any viruses whatsoever. Here is a link that will give you the free software.
macs- http://openoffice.idownload.org/?gclid=CPDgj4iNiZ4CFR0CswodRQcxpg
Windows- http://openoffice.cs.utah.edu/stable/2.4.3/OOo_2.4.3_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe

Tip #3 any type of music, movie, or other certain types of media over 7 years old is deemed free by some sort of agency. i.e. Batman is entirely free because it was manufactured and put on the market over 7 years ago. However, if the company released a movie over 7 years ago and decides to remake or remaster the movie, then the movie can still be priced at whatever the producer wants as long as the remastered copy of the software was within the 7 year limit. The original Batman still remains the same even though they remade the movie.

Tip #4

today im going to be showing you how to enable root user on your mac. being able to log on as a root user is essential if you need to alter system files.
Open Directory Utility in its new home, which is /System/Library/CoreServices.
Unlock the application by clicking the padlock icon and entering your Administrator login.
Select Edit » Enable Root User.
Choose Edit » Change Root Password, and choose a password for the root user.
This is for mac only!

tip #5

for all you simpletons out there here is a tip from AG that i learned.
his is a VERY OLD "hack" that still works today. Basically, we are going to get admin access to your Mac without having any install disk (or any password to an admin account in the first place). This is good if you're too stupid to remember your password.
Step 1: Boot your computer. Before you see the Apple logo, hold Command(Apple)+S. This brings you to single user mode.
Step 2: Stop panicking. It's supposed to be a black screen with white text.
Step 3: Type in /sbin/mount -uw /
Press Enter
Step 4: Type in rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
Press Enter
Step 5: Type in reboot
Press Enter
That's it! Now you can view the intro movie and go through the whole setup process AGAIN. While doing so, you can create a brand new admin account. Just don't rename it exactly the same as the old one. Doing so will erase everything that account had(in theory).

Have Fun! Don't abuse it... tip from ag sorry all you windows users this cool tip is for mac users only. But i do have a couple command prompt comands for you.
color /?
dir /s
ipconfig /all
and for a buch of others just type help

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Quote from: ag on November 16, 2009, 07:45:52 PM
Yeah that looks better :D
lol oops ment for that to be the article XD

I would like to comment on that last tip. I have a few things for you to consider...

Have you ever considered that the federal government has taps on everything? Have you ever considered that no matter what you do, your ISP has records of every single site you've visited, every file you've ever downloaded, and every single keystroke you've sent to the Internet? Have you ever considered that every single place you go, cameras are watching you? Just look at the stoplights. Have you ever considered that the phone companies can, and probably do, keep records of every call and every person you've ever come into contact with over their networks? That mobile providers can track you wherever you go and can even listen in using the microphone with specialized software? 

In short, what I am saying is that there is no privacy. Not anymore. So you really don't need to worry about Google, of all people. Not when everything you do is known to the government, and every single phone company and Internet provider you have ever used. And everything you do on this site is visible to me, also.  :D

So yeah... I don't think Google is something to worry about. :P

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

No, but I do. :)

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

In all reality though, I am much more fearful of the increasing role of multinational and otherwise giant corporations (such as Google) than I am of the federal government. The American government is far more dangerous as an enabler and potentiator of such corporations than it is as some sort of sinister machinating organization.

The solution, therefore, does not lie in individual acts of safety, but in large-scale protest to this sort of unfair domination. The people of America (who cannot ultimately be blamed) are the ones ceding their power to their leaders.

The true problem, then, is far more fundamental than this particular issue. It is a matter of the willingness of Americans to disenfranchise themselves from the decision-making process in American society.

Quote from: Joseph on November 17, 2009, 06:02:26 PM
In all reality though, I am much more fearful of the increasing role of multinational and otherwise giant corporations (such as Google) than I am of the federal government. The American government is far more dangerous as an enabler and potentiator of such corporations than it is as some sort of sinister machinating organization.

The solution, therefore, does not lie in individual acts of safety, but in large-scale protest to this sort of unfair domination. The people of America (who cannot ultimately be blamed) are the ones ceding their power to their leaders.

The true problem, then, is far more fundamental than this particular issue. It is a matter of the willingness of Americans to disenfranchise themselves from the decision-making process in American society.

In other words, you make the unjust assumption that all people are basically evil.

Why do I say this? Because google has no real reason to do any such thing. They are in a perfectly good place right now.

By making the assumption google would do such a thing you are assuming they are basically bad, which they aren't.

As humans, we are shaped by the world around us, and the world has given google no reason what so ever for them to want to harm people as a whole. Without intent, their is no threat (Read: Definition of threat according to merriam webster).

This is the downfall of all conspiracy theorists; they never give any reason as to why the free masons want control over America. For fact their are certainly less risky and better paying jobs.

And thats beside the fact; even if google had some reason to take over America or some crap, you can't blame for the government for it, just like you can't blame Hitler's mother for giving birth to him.

Quote from: Blade on November 17, 2009, 06:11:58 PM
In other words, you make the unjust assumption that all people are basically evil.

Why do I say this? Because google has no real reason to do any such thing. They are in a perfectly good place right now.

By making the assumption google would do such a thing you are assuming they are basically bad, which they aren't.

As humans, we are shaped by the world around us, and the world has given google no reason what so ever for them to want to harm people as a whole. Without intent, their is no threat (Read: Definition of threat according to merriam webster).

This is the downfall of all conspiracy theorists; they never give any reason as to why the free masons want control over America. For fact their are certainly less risky and better paying jobs.

And thats beside the fact; even if google had some reason to take over America or some crap, you can't blame for the government for it, just like you can't blame Hitler's mother for giving birth to him.
no google doesnt have a reason to track us, but the power that google has to be able to see almost everything is unsettling. that was the main point i was trying to get across. Im not saying that they would, im saying that the government needs to start enacting laws to keep companies like google from having such an extensive monopoly. With the sorts of features like location services(google maps), email(gmail), searches(search engine), and phone calling(google android) Google can easily place anyone who has an internet connection. Almost all of these have been used at one point by internet users (including you).

lol how does a "quick tips or hacks to make your pc/mac more efficient" thread become an argument thread? The last "tip" isn't really a tip or hack, don't strain yourself to post a new "tip" in this thread daily, Russell. The other tips, however, have been helpful.

Quote from: Master Zen on November 17, 2009, 06:48:04 PM
lol how does a "quick tips or hacks to make your pc/mac more efficient" thread become an argument thread? The last "tip" isn't really a tip or hack, don't strain yourself to post a new "tip" in this thread daily, Russell. The other tips, however, have been helpful.
well sorry Zen! i said i didnt have time to find something interesting, so i wrote about something that i was knowledgeable in.

Actually, Blade, I am not making that assumption. My belief in the basic good of human nature is the underpinning of my political views. I did say "The people of America (who cannot ultimately be blamed)". My point was that the people of America are the victims of a system that causes their apathy, not that the apathy is intrinsic.

Furthermore, your denigration of the thread by using the term "conspiracy theory" illustrates your refusal to ponder the matter seriously. I happen to like Google; I was using the topic as a springboard to demonstrate a few flaws in the American social system.

Joseph I'm not saying that I don't like google I'm jus saying that they hold power that only the government should have and that is the ability to track people.

You, when you USE google, give them that right.

Look at it this way, say you go to the same store for all your food ever, when you go to this store they keep record of what you got, they do this so they can restock, know their market, know what type of people they are providing for and so on so they can always have food ect.

Saying that you don't agree with that, what is tracking? your saying i shouldn't have the right to walk behind you and watch what you are doing?.....because that is tracking, in a less hidden manner but none the less its tracking.

So with that said, i want to see you try and run a business without tracking people, or heck doing a SINGLE day without tracking someone in some way.

Now if google wanted to overthrow the universe its in the right foot, but seeing that if google did overthrow the universe we would all be killed by google bots why does it matter?

No but really, google is just a big business, they have search engine down, what is next? they expand..... ads and after that phones/browsers ect. They are the same as ANY good business growing, thriving and expanding into new fields 10 years ago you would be hard pressed to find a cellphone in a grocery store, now its common practice. even gas stations have cheap ones why? because it fits into the target market, providing for its buyers in all respects, at SOME point google i'm sure will end up making a computer, likely with the help of a computer company but none the less.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time