Combining Maps

Started by Shazam, June 07, 2012, 03:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 07, 2012, 03:24:51 PM Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:30:19 PM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
Is it possible to combine your favorite maps into one level? Perhaps connecting them with something? I am very curious...
Edit: I was wondering if it was possible to combine: Cloud City, Mos Eisley, Kamino, Citadel, and Bespin Platforms.

If it is possible to do that easily, could someone (attempt to) make it? I just thought it would be interesting combining different maps together so you wouldn't have to worry about changing the map all the time.

Edit: Perhaps it would only work if certain "main parts" of each level were all smushed together into one? I don't use BFBuilder or Zero Editor that much, so I didn't know if any of this was possible.

Of course it is possible, except sky (it can be only one). But gameplay of such map will be not very fan: just like in all overhuge maps, it will be hard to find enemy, and you soon will be bored, just walking around.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Actually, I was looking to use this map for training... So that I didn't have to go from map-to-map to train. I don't mind a bit of a walk. (Speeders would help, though...)

I was aware that the sky could only be one, obviously. But you can change the terrian to change as you go from "one map to another"?

I also just realized that Kamino would be a bit of a stretch to put in there... with the roaring waters and high platforms. Same with Bespin Platforms, so possibly just CC, Rhen Var Citadel, and Mos Eisley.

To change terrain is nothing difficult: you just need to paint it by different textures. Kamino and Bespin you can build beyond the edge of some abyss, in the same map.

Here are some easy mission map combos that I made.  This was done using only LUA commands to load two maps.

If you used ZE, you could do a real nice job :)

http://www.xfire.com/video/3dc7a5/
http://www.xfire.com/video/3dcb8c/
http://www.xfire.com/video/3dd15d/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
raining tuskens for tirpider :)

http://www.xfire.com/video/2bc3d2/
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Sereja on June 07, 2012, 04:12:33 PM
Of course it is possible, except sky (it can be only one). But gameplay of such map will be not very fan: just like in all overhuge maps, it will be hard to find enemy, and you soon will be bored, just walking around.

how about if you made local teams for each map "area"?  that might be neat.

Yes, the different sides may be fun, but if we talking about training, mission map (no planing, hintnodes, barriers), they will be just stand near spawn nodes, and do nothing utill you come to close.
Actualy did you realize, what titanic work this arcade "joke" map may takes? You will need not just copy text from one .wld file to enother. Some of sobject will have similar names, so you need to rename them. Then, you have to move all sobjects with ZE, or next world content may smash with previous. For this, you have to use "multiselect" ZE function, and this is bored to the dead job! If you wish to add path, regions, or barriers, your work is double or triple, and may takes monthes or even years! Personaly me, think, it is too much, for a joke map!

I agree with Sereja. It would be a lot of work cleaning it up.
So much that it might not be worth doing.

But for new maps...
If the original maps to be joined were built to be merged, it might not be so bad.
Sorta like tiles.

Using names appropriate for that specific tile, then adding cps and planning after merging them together.
Each "tile" being smaller than a full level, but still being kinda self contained.

Still a lot of work, but a lot less than going through an entire level thats already made.
The end result would be a tileable level building library.

I don't understand what went into merging the levels, though.
If it isn't possible to offset a map's contents in a straight forward way, then it would be the same as merging a stock map.
Lots of multi-select and move, by hand in ZeroEdit.
It would be just like building the whole thing from scratch , but with everything dumped in one place.

Quote from: Buckler on June 07, 2012, 04:47:15 PM
Here are some easy mission map combos that I made. 

http://www.xfire.com/video/3dd15d/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
raining tuskens for tirpider :)
lol
The Tusken Rain is epic, Buckler.
I just don't know what to say.
Thats awsome.

Actualy nice map, with combined part of different worlds was already maded long time ago. It was included Kamino, Yavin IV, Kashyyyk, and Naboo. It is realy shame, I do not remember name of this map, and can't find it on my PC. Probably it was deleted by mistake, when I upgrade my PC. Just remember rainbow sky in it...

So, from what I gather, this would be fairly hard to complete. I was not worried about barriers of any sort, just the ones already in the map. (Like Cloud City, it already has a wall around the entire map.) But, I realized it may become difficult to go through the trouble of nading over the walls, so a portion of one wall would have to be removed. (Especially if speeders are involved in travel between maps.)

I love the idea of locals on each "map". The Cloud City locals are those blue guys, I forgot what their official name was. The Mos Eisley ones could be Tuskens and/or Jawas. I have never seen anyone make Kaminoans, so that would require a new model... which would take too much time. I also have never seen a Rhen Var local. (I don't even know who lives there.)

So... perhaps a public release of a Cloud City/Mos Eisley mix? Most of the people I know think those are easily in the top 5 best SWBF1 maps. I'll let you guys make it however you want, 'cause I know people will like this, and my ideas shouldn't be top priority. I would love to give input for ideas though.  ;)

I would suggest that you give it a try.  I wrote a tutorial about how to edit a shipped world using the mod tools. 

:o  Uh... I've tried BFBuilder and ZE before. It is very confusing, I just stick with the toolbox.

I have all the files, I think:
*BFBuidlerProWIP30605
*BoPC_fix
*swbft
*Boundaries_fix
*unsupported_swbf_mod_tools
*ZeroeditorUpdate122904

Keep in mind, I have those, but they are still compressed because I haven't used BFBuidler or ZE in forever.

Yes.  Those look like the ones you need.

You are going to have to use them. 

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8.0

read that.

That is the very same tutorial I first used. 

I don't know a lot, but I was able to figure it out enough to use it to edit shipped worlds.

Yeah... I'll get right on that. If anyone was interested in this map, it may be out (checks watch) in about 4-5 mounths.  :wacko:

4-5 months sounds like a good amount of time for a map.

Could take even longer, depending on how much custom modeling is needed.