Which LVL File is Your Favorite to Modify?

Started by Shazam, July 12, 2012, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following .lvl files do you think is your most favorite to mod?

Side.lvl
Core.lvl
Common.lvl
Mission.lvl
Other (Please specify below)
I am just curious as to which .lvl  file is your favorite to mod. If you vote, please post to support your opinion.
You can justify that your favorite is the easiest, hardest, most fun, or most things to change. You can vote twice on this! 

My personal preference is the side.lvl and mission.lvl files. I find that the side.lvls allow you to customize and make things look your own. I also like the fact that you can edit alot of weapons and unit stats in side.lvl. The reason mission.lvl is my second favorite, is because I learned to mod it first, and I got the hang of it very quickly. I like to edit the map.lua to customize the playable factions on your server how you want and I like to change the map stats to change the height and stuff.

Well, I never try edit side.lvl or mission.lvl, becouse I am usualy just create them :P.
Still, editing common.lvl (with Interface Tool), let me put at-rt and barc speeder (with correct pilot animation) on my maps. It is also may be usefull for adding custom hologram icon on CP's, and many other things... So, I vote for common.lvl, and it's big potential.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Personally mine is the side.lvl and mission.lvl.  They are the main ones that I mod at the moment and seem to have the most impact on the game unless you are really experienced with modding the core and common (which take a little more effort and time but show a lot of promise).  All of them are fun to mess around with though  8)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

July 12, 2012, 10:32:32 AM #3 Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:35:45 AM by Phobos
common.lvl is my favorite LVL. I find it allows for the most customization, I never get tired of modding crosshairs. Wasn't able to vote for a second option but I'd have to say either sides or maps is next.

I consider mission.lvl as basically just an extension of the batch/ini for customizing server settings, but a few values in mission are for clients only, like sound and fish.

Other :)

I haven't messed with indivdual LVL files.
I have been stuck on hacking around the msh files and laying plans for an addon map.

I love the potential of common and mission modding. But till I have time to really sink my teeth into it, I'll stay with addon maps as a whole and msh hacking.

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on July 12, 2012, 01:08:02 PMOh! What's in gonna be?

Well... It is (of course) Tusken Raider themed.
So it's going to be on Tatooine.
There isn't a lot of canon material regarding the Tuskens so there will be Expanded Universe stuff involved.

But you have all seen how I work, so it will probably be several months down the road before I have anything signifigant done on it.

Ofc, All x3
I enjoy modding commons, cores, and the most Shipped maps ( I think they're called :D)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Wait hold on.
How do you edit them??  I only know how to make them. (I didn't even know you could edit them lol)

Yes, create lvl's realy much more easy, then edit them, but you can't create common.lvl, for example. So, you have to edit them by using some "tools". I am sure, you can download lot of them, from this site.
Personaly me, using "Interface Tool", for editing common.lvl only.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Here is the newest LVL Builders Toolbox.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=525

There are different ways to edit different .lvls. You can change ODF lines, add ODF lines, edit TGAs, Hex-edit MSHs, change LUAs lines, and much more. Try reading through some tutourials, that's how I started. :)

Here's what I started with, and what most people will refer you to for basic modding.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8.0

Good luck!  :happy:

I like editing side, because there are a lot of different customizable options, and it mostly is online compatible.

I said Common.lvl because then it would help me out alot in game.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios