Just got Republic Commando online to work!

Started by Kit Fisto, March 16, 2013, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Joseph on March 30, 2013, 08:03:11 PM
Unfortunately RC, which used to be an extremely fun online game, has been taken over by trolls and noobs. Players who use rocket and AA constantly are 100x worse for the game than chat hackers. You can ignore the chat if you know anything about multiplayer gaming. What you can't ignore is having every potentially good and competitive match ruined by idiots who just want to blast you with rockets. These people play for about a week and then leave because they're bored by this mindless playing (and who wouldn't be?) but unfortunately more and more just keep coming.
Its not like that for me at least. There are a large number of sniper only servers, which are fun for a while. And a small number of TD servers that have a variety of weapons around. Maybe it has changed, maybe I'm one of the noobs you speak of...  :shrug:

We could organize a SWBFGamers.com RC night, then it would be filled with people who we know....
I think that could be fun...
(I also want to do this for SWBFII)

March 30, 2013, 09:30:15 PM #16 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:38:39 PM by Joseph
I assume you're talking about the "Insta Gib" servers where all sniper shots are one-shot kill, these are the worst of the lot and are a large part of the noobery I am talking about. Zero fun for me, plus it diverts people from playing the good servers. Insta-gib has ruined repcom.

For me, repcom is about wreaking havoc with a blaster and real (not instakill) sniper rifle, in a <100 ping server. Last time I checked (~4 months ago) these conditions don't exist regularly anymore (except on private servers), if this has changed by all means let me know.

swbfgamers rc night would be cool, I couldnt guarantee I could come though (chances would be better if it were held in 1.5 months)

Quote from: Joseph on March 30, 2013, 09:30:15 PM
For me, repcom is about wreaking havoc with a blaster and real (not instakill) sniper rifle, in a <100 ping server. Last time I checked (~4 months ago) these conditions don't exist regularly anymore (except on private servers), if this has changed by all means let me know.
I would much rather play this style than the odd servers they have up. I have a plan for expanding swbfgamers game playing together...

Is there the equivalent of dedicated server software for RC ?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

March 31, 2013, 04:49:54 AM #19 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:53:05 AM by Josh
 Ok, the only time in MY book you can noob in Republic Commando is when you use a weapon thats not supposed to do what your trying to do with it or nade spam. Example taking a sniper rifle and running around with it shooting people and then calling youself a sniper. The sniper rifle should be used for SNIPEING! Rockets should be used for trickshots where a kill would be impossible with any other weapon. The concussion gun thing ( not sure on exact name ) ISNT NOOBY AT ALL if you have tried it you know what i mean, its slow, very little ammo and best used for melee. The AA is a little nooby, but not totally, people should only use this if they need to get a shot into a building or it can be used for a longshot since it is sorta hard to shoot very long with them.
The two "noob" grenades are in my opinion a LOT harder to use them your average grenade since the blue one doesnt always get a kill and also lets your opponet kill you. The sonic is pretty hard too since its not that much power and you have to be careful around it since it could blow up in your face. I wish people would stop calling people noobs and instead of wasting your time calling them that learn how to dodge the missile or what ever the weapon is. BTW I can see comfrost responding to this saying " AND ALSO TO PRETEND TO BE CHATTING ONLY TO BE BLAST SOMEONE TO BITS! ;)" Well maybe you shouldn't have been standing right next to my head with your crosshairs aimed at my head  ;) BTW 350 posts :D

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Buckler on March 31, 2013, 03:15:22 AM
There must be, or something equivalent of a Dedicated Server Software because I don't know how servers modify the weapon's ammo, power etc.

Quote from: Josh on March 31, 2013, 04:49:54 AM
Ok, the only time in MY book you can noob in Republic Commando is when you use a weapon thats not supposed to do what your trying to do with it or nade spam. Example taking a sniper rifle and running around with it shooting people and then calling youself a sniper. The sniper rifle should be used for SNIPEING! Rockets should be used for trickshots where a kill would be impossible with any other weapon. The concussion gun thing ( not sure on exact name ) ISNT NOOBY AT ALL if you have tried it you know what i mean, its slow, very little ammo and best used for melee. The AA is a little nooby, but not totally, people should only use this if they need to get a shot into a building or it can be used for a longshot since it is sorta hard to shoot very long with them.
The two "noob" grenades are in my opinion a LOT harder to use them your average grenade since the blue one doesnt always get a kill and also lets your opponet kill you. The sonic is pretty hard too since its not that much power and you have to be careful around it since it could blow up in your face. I wish people would stop calling people noobs and instead of wasting your time calling them that learn how to dodge the missile or what ever the weapon is. BTW I can see comfrost responding to this saying " AND ALSO TO PRETEND TO BE CHATTING ONLY TO BE BLAST SOMEONE TO BITS! ;)" Well maybe you shouldn't have been standing right next to my head with your crosshairs aimed at my head  ;) BTW 350 posts :D
A kill is always possible with rifle/sniper/grenades.

You can't change the definition of "nooby", it is an objective fact that in RepCom rockets, aa, conc rifle, ec and sonic nades are nooby. It is an objective fact because the community of RC pros has unanimously agreed that this is the case. The above-mentioned weapons do not lead to skill development or fun games and instead ruin every game in which they are used. There are no situations in which their use would be considered non-nooby.

Why waste your time trying to "learn how to dodge" these weapons? You can't, it's literally impossible at close to mid range.

Quote from: Joseph on March 31, 2013, 07:13:08 AM
A kill is always possible with rifle/sniper/grenades.

You can't change the definition of "nooby", it is an objective fact that in RepCom rockets, aa, conc rifle, ec and sonic nades are nooby. It is an objective fact because the community of RC pros has unanimously agreed that this is the case. The above-mentioned weapons do not lead to skill development or fun games and instead ruin every game in which they are used. There are no situations in which their use would be considered non-nooby.

Why waste your time trying to "learn how to dodge" these weapons? You can't, it's literally impossible at close to mid range.
You could say the same about SWBFI rocket launchers/EMP Launchers. But I don't see anyone playing the soldier class over those classes...  ;)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 31, 2013, 08:51:15 AM
You could say the same about SWBFI rocket launchers/EMP Launchers. But I don't see anyone playing the soldier class over those classes...  ;)
No you really can't, swbf rocket requires way more skill than the repcom rocket. And more importantly, it's balanced. EMP launcher, yes, you can make a case for that. But even EMP is far less nooby that any of the repcom weapons I mentioned.

But the major disanalogy here (my opinion :)) is rifle. SWBF rifle is extremely weak, but Repcom rifle allows complete and utter dominance of entire servers, if you spend some time getting good at it. That's what makes any game worthwhile -- you have fun, and you build your skill until you get better. This allows you to have more fun, and hence get even better, and so on. That path is not open if all you use is rocket and AA and EC nades; the game quickly gets boring because there's no room for growth and all you get are cheap kills.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 31, 2013, 08:51:15 AM
Come on, rifle is the most underrated weapon in SWBF...
Woop soldier class!

Quote from: Buckler on March 31, 2013, 03:15:22 AM
I don't think there's anything like that, only an in game option (which I assume is edited to allow server mods).
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

woah woah, the trooper class in swbf1 is underrated, its easy to get kills with it, the only reason i dont use it much is because people start to call me noob :p

March 31, 2013, 10:14:00 AM #27 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:55:11 AM by Josh
Quote from: Joseph on March 31, 2013, 07:13:08 AM

I have. I have Jumped a missile turned around jumped the weird gun that is like the gun version of the EC detonators. It is possible, just learn how to play again and try it, youll see.

And Joseph, im NOT against people going around with sniper rifles and if they wish to do that their are other servers for that. But my main problem is that there are servers that ALLOW "noobing" and when someone "noobs" they get yelled at, if you dont like how someone plays then LEAVE THE SERVER!!! And I do agree that if everyone uses a rocket things get boring, I think people should have a rocket launcher as one weapon and a sniper rifle or shotgun as the other. I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think anyone should get mad that someone uses "noob" weapons, they have the same right to use "noob" weapons as someone else not too.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: -={212}=-!M@rt! on March 31, 2013, 10:04:27 AM
woah woah, the trooper class in swbf1 is underrated, its easy to get kills with it, the only reason i dont use it much is because people start to call me noob :p
And that bothers you!?
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I guess my arguments are invalid anyway since I haven't played RC as long as you guys have. :)

And for SWBFI, if you can get head shots with the soldier class, you are unstoppable. You just have to be able to dodge.