Minecraft Server Help

Started by Shazam, December 23, 2012, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If you have a few bucks to cash out each month you could always rent one. http://www.nfoservers.com/order.php

Gee 500 posts is sooo much.
:P

---------------------------------

I found my old laptop which can run as a server just fine. I'll gladly set it up for ALL of you guys... it's just a matter of me buying a new hard drive for the machine.

I'll update this thread if I make any progress.

#TYBG

I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

December 24, 2012, 08:08:19 AM #18 Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:28:54 AM by {Alpha}Gold Claus
Actually, I found a video tutorial for this. After we get the server setup, the real trick is to mod it so it has flatgrass maps, multiple worlds within the server, ranks, tags, etc. I've even seen some servers with economic setups, lava survival, and even zombie survival.

Edit: Sha-Zam, the link is on our new site.

December 24, 2012, 08:27:24 AM #19 Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:40:46 AM by Jolly Ol' Agent Z
Quote from: SleepGiver on December 23, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
If you have a few bucks to cash out each month you could always rent one. http://www.nfoservers.com/order.php
I looked into renting a server, but my mom doesn't want me to pay for "some stupid game" :P

Quote from: aeria. on December 23, 2012, 11:14:09 PM
I found my old laptop which can run as a server just fine. I'll gladly set it up for ALL of you guys... it's just a matter of me buying a new hard drive for the machine.

I'll update this thread if I make any progress.
Wow, that is a very generous offer! I have no problems with you hosting for us. :) There would only be 10 of us on at most. If you host for us, would it be up 24/7? Or just certain times?

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on December 24, 2012, 04:20:33 AM
Portforwarding information is here; http://portforward.com/softwareguides/minecraft/minecraft.htm
This isn't for MC classic. Some of the people wanting to play have not bought MC and play the free version (MC classic)

December 24, 2012, 09:39:38 AM #20 Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:42:25 AM by Ltin
Quote from: SleepGiver on December 23, 2012, 07:34:10 PM
Chances are that the server would end up being a premium(curent version) minecraft server, not classic.
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 24, 2012, 08:08:19 AM
Actually, I found a video tutorial for this. After we get the server setup, the real trick is to mod it so it has flatgrass maps, multiple worlds within the server, ranks, tags, etc. I've even seen some servers with economic setups, lava survival, and even zombie survival.

Edit: Sha-Zam, the link is on our new site.
those things dont come with vanilla, but rather are custon server software that is privatly developed. I belive the lava and zombie survival ones use a software caled MCdezinny or something

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 24, 2012, 08:27:24 AM
I looked into renting a server, but my mom doesn't want me to pay for "some stupid game" :P
Wow, that is a very generous offer! I have no problems with you hosting for us. :) There would only be 10 of us on at most. If you host for us, would it be up 24/7? Or just certain times?
This isn't for MC classic. Some of the people wanting to play have not bought MC and play the free version (MC classic)

Yup, I intend on keeping it on 24/7 (or until I can't tolerate the humming noise at night).

#TYBG

Quote from: Ltin on December 24, 2012, 09:39:38 AM
Chances are that the server would end up being a premium(curent version) minecraft server, not classic.those things dont come with vanilla, but rather are custon server software that is privatly developed. I belive the lava and zombie survival ones use a software caled MCdezinny or something
I think it was the WoM software. (World of Minecraft)

Quote from: aeria. on December 24, 2012, 10:36:53 AM
Yup, I intend on keeping it on 24/7 (or until I can't tolerate the humming noise at night).
If its a nuisance, you can just take it down when you go to bed. I'm always done on the computer by 9:00 CST anyways.

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 24, 2012, 10:49:19 AM

If its a nuisance, you can just take it down when you go to bed. I'm always done on the computer by 9:00 CST anyways.

Sha-Zam, I have actually seen servers run off different software. WoM is more like an addon anyways. I know I've seen at least 2-3 classic servers all running on different programs, ususally advertised in the chat like: "This server runs on MCSomething! To get your own MCSomething server please visit: www.mcsomethingserver.com!"

And Sha-Zam, not all of us are done on the PC by 10:00pm EST....  :P

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 24, 2012, 10:49:19 AM
Wom is a client, not a server software.
I know of a number of server softwares, most of them are forks of the open source MCLawl, including MCstorm, MCdezinny(spelling?), and MCforge(not a fork anymore)

I've seen a few servers made with MCStorm, Forge, and Lawl, never dezinny though, is that a newer server software?

By the way Ltin, would you happen to know where to download/how to install the software?  :confused:

Well, I have the MC stuff pretty well figured out, but port forwarding is confusing me. Is someone willing to step me through this through Xfire?

Or if someone is willing to launch a server for us...

-edit: What exactly does "port forwarding" do (simple terms)? I know it opens my "port" and allows others to connect directly to my PC, but I basically want to know if I should be doing this. I'm very cautious. :)

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 25, 2012, 04:57:02 PM
Well, I have the MC stuff pretty well figured out, but port forwarding is confusing me. Is someone willing to step me through this through Xfire?

Or if someone is willing to launch a server for us...

-edit: What exactly does "port forwarding" do (simple terms)? I know it opens my "port" and allows others to connect directly to my PC, but I basically want to know if I should be doing this. I'm very cautious. :)

Your one to talk there, Sha-Zam. Or do you forget my reluctance sometimes? :) (I don't intend to start an agrument either. :P )

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 25, 2012, 04:59:21 PM
Your one to talk there, Sha-Zam. Or do you forget my reluctance sometimes? :) (I don't intend to start an agrument either. :P )
I just want to know if my mom will get annoyed if I mess up our internet somehow... She'd flip if something out of the loof happened.

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 25, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
I just want to know if my mom will get annoyed if I mess up our internet somehow... She'd flip if something out of the loof happened.

Ah, I see. Not uncommon to burn out our monthly bandwidth with me and my bro watching YouTube stuff 24/7 over here though. :P