Steam and Valve for Mac- Official Announcement

Started by Jedikiller, March 08, 2010, 02:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Russell, It is a closed beta, Valve chooses only the people of their criteria to test their beta software. It's not "hey sign up here and you get the download the beta!!!!" That would be called an open beta.

The chances of being accepted is very low. I haven't gotten any reply from Valve after all this time so I'm assuming they've already gotten the beta stage done with. If not, they're finishing it up for an official release.

#TYBG

i understand but i havent seen any news on the internet over the beta actually starting. Even if it is closed, the fact people are starting to get accepted will begin to leak. Steam could at least bother to send an email saying you didn't get accepted.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

News most likely won't post on things unless it's a public beta. Practically every single game made went through closed beta stages, the news blogs didn't post it.

#TYBG

April 07, 2010, 04:18:16 PM #18 Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:22:46 AM by Red
eh, ok.

ok so the new beta has been released to the public with a completely revamped UI. But the bad news is that it is only for windows. Now correctly if i am wrong, but wasnt the new UI supposed to be released simultaneously with mac. In the new UI description they didnt even mention the mac beta. *im sad*

[mod]Please refrain from double-posting. Thanks.
-Red[/mod]

It's going to be released to the Mac side sometime this month, we just have to wait patiently.

#TYBG

that revamped UI beta came out before they even announced the Mac version. aside from that, they likely won't even have a public Mac beta.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

April 16, 2010, 05:10:30 AM #21 Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:35:58 PM by Soap Mactavish
Ok people i am mad now. Steam just announced they are delaying their Steam release for mac. It will now be released sometime in may.

Comes out this Wednesday! :D Everybody needs to get Left 4 Dead 2.

Here's a writeup on the new experience from a guy who was in the beta: http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/05/09/steam.for.mac.very.similar.but.with.quirks/

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Will this be released at midnight tonight?

I am psyched!!!!!!!!!

Considering Valve's Rep i'd say no it won't be a midnight release, its just an app....however i may be wrong they could want to try and make something big out of it. I'd expect it by 1 EST tomorrow
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

I don't get it...

is it so hard to load a piece of software at 12AM???

It's a matter of Valve
Quote from: Soap Mactavish on May 11, 2010, 07:25:48 PM
I don't get it...

is it so hard to load a piece of software at 12AM???

Yes. If you ask me, they probably aren't done with it yet.

#TYBG

The timing is perfect for me.
Ive been using a QAM reciever in my TV to get all the cable channels from my provider while only paying the basic cost. It looks like the cable company finally caught on today because most the channels are now blue screen and researching isnt bringing up anything.
Damn. No more discounted cable. It was good while it lasted.

Looks like Ill have more time to play on Steam.