Steam and Valve for Mac- Official Announcement

Started by Jedikiller, March 08, 2010, 02:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62687

Valve has announced Steam and all of their own games will be coming to the Mac platform in April! Everything they make will also be coming to the Mac as a day-one release.

Should you already own a game, you will be able to obtain a Mac version for free. Multiplayer is integrated. Everything is pretty much exactly the same.

Valve is also allowing publishers who partner with them to distribute Mac games through the service.

This is a huge day for Mac gaming. What do you think about it?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Quote from: Jedikiller on March 08, 2010, 02:56:50 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62687

Valve has announced Steam and all of their own games will be coming to the Mac platform in April! Everything they make will also be coming to the Mac as a day-one release.

Should you already own a game, you will be able to obtain a Mac version for free. Multiplayer is integrated. Everything is pretty much exactly the same.

Valve is also allowing publishers who partner with them to distribute Mac games through the service.

This is a huge day for Mac gaming. What do you think about it?

I think this is probably the best news I have ever heard when it comes to Mac gaming! The accessibility might give of CoD 4 and Valve forums a chance to get some activity. Also, bootcamp users don't need to boot into Windows as often :D

Also, the SDK is going to released to OSX!!!

#TYBG

ALL OF THEIR OWN GAMES O_O
Does this include things like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat?

Quote from: Khyler on March 08, 2010, 03:42:58 PM
ALL OF THEIR OWN GAMES O_O
Does this include things like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat?

While I cannot confirm their older games, all Source Engine Games (CSS, DoDS, TF2, HL2 series, L4D, L4D2, Portal 1/2, etc etc) are natively ported to OSX.

#TYBG

I wonder if they'll be able to connect with PC gamers... xD
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

MPC Gamers L4D1/2 groups, It must be done, dooooo it.

yes

we all must get together for L4D nights!

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/MPCGamers

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

I love Valve, and this is what I have been waiting for!
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

Because of my extreme amount of spare time, I will be making a comparison video of the two versions of every Source game I own.

#TYBG

Better include Counter-Strike, I love zombie annihilation servers like ZOW, and Death Run maps

Newest one!

Quote from: Blackout on March 08, 2010, 06:43:47 PM
Better include Counter-Strike, I love zombie annihilation servers like ZOW, and Death Run maps

They will.
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

this is freakin amazing. Knocking off one more reason people can diss mac "no games".

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

This is indeed a great thing.  Shame on them for not tapping it earlier....

I have some threads/posts on my site related to this.  One of them you all should appreciate.  :)

1st Announcement on L4D Blog

See post #5 of this thread:  http://www.flamesandash.com/showthread.php?t=2453

Fancy New Steam UI

Then General Steam News Item see post #12:  http://www.flamesandash.com/showthread.php?t=2391&page=2

Honestly, I believe it has been in the works for awhile and the hold up was the new Steam UI.

Feel free to join up with [FLASH] on some games.  Add me to Friends, same name as the username here. 

Awareness though at least on your TF2 server...it is adult oriented.  There is cursing and sprays that would not be considered family friendly.  However, it is still managed under extreme respect guidelines.  We have moms and dads in our Clan and Community.  You can always use the ingame Mute function though.   :tu:

Some of you older SWBF players that know me.....know this.  ;)

Lastly, so far pretty much everything will be hosted by PC for MP games.  Nothing as of yet for MAC based servers.  I don't see the point to support another OS, quite frankly.  As evidenced with older games...it's just a client translation.   ::)

would anyone happen to know the status of the beta? it is already a week into april, if Steam wants to get this UI on the market they need to get this beta out now, if not a few weeks earlier.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon