Unit Limit in Locals?

Started by Snake, April 05, 2013, 07:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well there is the known 5 unit limit for the two main sides (although apparently it is possible to have more) but is there a limit for locals? I was thinking about how there's no need for first person lines in the .odf's of local sides because real people won't be using them. Well, could the same be said for the unit number? No one will be looking at a selection screen so it seems possible.. I am going to try this out eventually but I'd like to see if anyone has already tried it.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I have absolutely no idea.
But I think if the locals spawn, that the game would crash, because the game sees the problem when locals try to spawn.
It's worth testing though.

Interestingly enough, the game does not crash.  I placed 8 "AddUnitClass" lines and the game didn't crash and they all spawned fine.  The limit must only be defined with teams 1 and 2.
If only there was some way to switch to team 3 ingame, because then the extra slots could be used.  Although the only way to do that (that I can see) is have the source code (always comes back to that  :dry: ).  Tried switching team 1 to 3 and it wants to find 1  :td:
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Oh, awesome! I wish we were able to edit the source codes of SWBF..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

The game isn't limited to how many classes per team it's limited on how many it slots it can display on the spawn screen. So you could have eight classes for team 2 and as long as you never tried to be team 2 the game would never crash.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 05, 2013, 08:40:07 PM
The game isn't limited to how many classes per team it's limited on how many it slots it can display on the spawn screen. So you could have eight classes for team 2 and as long as you never tried to be team 2 the game would never crash.

Sweet, that's what I was hoping for
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

My question is, what's the use of every single BF1 Lua if we can't solve these types of problems? What can we do with it?! It seems that nobody is using those to make, oh I don't know, a working fake console for singleplayer, pretty much a  SWBFI version of the SWBFII 1.3 patch.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 05, 2013, 09:37:25 PM
My question is, what's the use of every single BF1 Lua if we can't solve these types of problems? What can we do with it?! It seems that nobody is using those to make, oh I don't know, a working fake console for singleplayer, pretty much a  SWBFI version of the SWBFII 1.3 patch.
Addon limit as well as Unit limit is controlled by EXE from what I hear, so the lua scripts probably wouldn't help you there, Kit.

I find it kinda funny (by funny I mean sad really), Phobos was reconstructing all those lua scripts, and next thing we know, EVERY single one of them was released at the same time... It was awesome what he did and was doing, and now that those are released, his are in a way obsolete...

April 05, 2013, 11:49:27 PM #9 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:05:49 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 05, 2013, 09:37:25 PM
The LUAs are useful but not for controlling elements the EXE does. Have you looked at BF1 ifs_fakeconsole.LUA? All the commands and what they do are controlled by exe not the LUA. Anyway the LUA is mostly useful for updating the Shell (to an extent) such as new Campaigns, Eras, and modifying the Galactic Conquest.

If we did have the EXE source, then that combined with the LUA source would make Online Galactic Conquest Multiplayer completely possible I'm 99% sure. The LUA would be more useful than it is now if we had the EXE source, but on its own it still has many good applications just not as much as we had hoped for.

With BF1 exe source I'm certain we could also implement a fake console that lets you type in commands (like you can in SPTest and BF2) but with customizable commands such as change map, change reinforcements, etc.

Perhaps we could even add more customization abilities through the LUA (certain code branches were removed from LUA control and hard-scripted into the exe, like the fake console commands for instance). I'd like to be able to develop new mission LUA commands for various server features (forcing every player to a certain faction, third teams playable, etc.). A lot of testing would need to be done to make it work online but it would be feasible.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 05, 2013, 10:29:08 PM
Addon limit as well as Unit limit is controlled by EXE from what I hear, so the lua scripts probably wouldn't help you there, Kit.

I find it kinda funny (by funny I mean sad really), Phobos was reconstructing all those lua scripts, and next thing we know, EVERY single one of them was released at the same time... It was awesome what he did and was doing, and now that those are released, his are in a way obsolete...
Reconstructing the LUA scripts helped me get a better understanding of how LUA looks when munged. Knowing how to reconstruct source from munged could be useful if I munged a heavily modified script, then somehow lost the source LUA for it. So they would still be somewhat useful for learning how to reconstruct complex LUAs if it was ever needed. Although I would still recommend using the stock LUA Fred released instead of my reconstructions because the stock source contains all of the developer comments. I'm very glad Fred released the scripts. There's no way I would have been able to perfectly reconstruct those complex ones, like the meta scripts and such.

April 05, 2013, 11:56:19 PM #10 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:55:10 AM by Buckler
I want to point out that 1.3 beta exe has a lot of the things we want in it already, including and in-game log in console for admins and a 256 512 addon map limit.

The only thing we lack is a 1.3 beta no cd version, as the 1.3 beta exe update does not work with the dvd versions of the game.

Now, if we knew the person that made 1.3 beta...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on April 05, 2013, 11:56:19 PM
I want to point out that 1.3 beta exe has a lot of the things we want in it already, including and in-game log in console for admins and a 256 addon map limit.

The only thing we lack is a 1.3 beta no cd version, as the 1.3 beta exe update does not work with the dvd versions of the game.

Now, if we knew the person that made 1.3 beta...

That would help a lot and I think the 1.3 multiplayer servers might be superior to 1.2, and more shots would register since they improved that aspect of the game with the update. But yes, not having a no CD exe holds us back.

1.3 ReadMe
[spoiler]
Reminder this is a BETA version for Battlefront and may not
work on all systems and is for the U.S. version of the game
only.  Version 1.2 must be installed first in order for this
version to be properly installed

Build Notes

Changes from 1.2

Multiplayer

Unlocked frame rate
Better tolerance of latency spikes and frame rate spikes
Fixed an end of game hang
Better smoothing of predicted positions and orientations

Allow more maps specified from dedicated server command line
Better Droideka prediction
Added remote admin support for those hosting dedicated servers
Tighter clock synchronization under normal conditions
Fixed joining servers behind most firewalls
Allow more mod maps (was 50, now 512)

Global

Fixed CIS Pilot shooting backwards
[/spoiler]

Maybe we could make a petition to someone who might have this.. :P
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Sooo, that can't be done via Hex editing and takes source code editing? Or is it just extremely to complex for you to simple "cut" off the need for CD key?

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 06, 2013, 08:53:36 AM
Sooo, that can't be done via Hex editing and takes source code editing? Or is it just extremely to complex for you to simple "cut" off the need for CD key?

no-cd is possible for those that understand hex editing and assembly language very well.  Cheat engine might even help.  It is very advanced though, and would violate the EULA, but worth a shot.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet