SWBF2 hit registry.

Started by Auggie, August 23, 2016, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 23, 2016, 08:32:12 PM Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:38:52 PM by Auggie
Earlier today, I was playing on my 40tps GameRanger server (Don't worry, I haven't given up on SWBF2 SWBFSpy at all. Playing on GR has made me realize how horrible the software really is.) with about 20-30 players on it, and I noticed that the hit registry was HORRIBLE. At times, I could run up behind a guy and shoot him in the back with a shotgun at point blank range, and it wouldn't do any damage at all. Those were extreme cases though. Most of the time, I would shoot a guy with a shotgun and it'd only do maybe 0-25% of his health per shot. And no, it's not lag. I had an 80-85ms ping and very smooth-looking player movements the entire time. I know this is bad hit registry because earlier, I was 1v1ing a guy on my server (only 2 players on it) and even at medium ranges, I could 1-shot him with the shotgun. I could even 1-shot him in the air when he was using the Dark Trooper!

My theory is that past maybe 5-10 players, the hit registry of a 40tps server starts to become worse than 30tps, which is obviously what it was designed to run at. Sure, 40tps is STABLE at way past 5-10 players, but I think the hit registry starts to drop off.

Before I compare 40tps to 30tps, and subject my players to even worse hit registry, I wanted you guys' opinions. Does this even make sense? Can a higher than supported tick rate such as 40tps actually cause worse hit registry at higher player counts? Or is this just the result of SWBF2's poor net-code?

Quote from: Auggie on August 23, 2016, 08:32:12 PM
Earlier today, I was playing on my 40tps GameRanger server (Don't worry, I haven't given up on SWBF2 SWBFSpy at all. Playing on GR has made me realize how horrible the software really is.) with about 20-30 players on it, and I noticed that the hit registry was HORRIBLE. At times, I could run up behind a guy and shoot him in the back with a shotgun at point blank range, and it wouldn't do any damage at all. Those were extreme cases though. Most of the time, I would shoot a guy with a shotgun and it'd only do maybe 0-25% of his health per shot. And no, it's not lag. I had an 80-85ms ping and very smooth-looking player movements the entire time. I know this is bad hit registry because earlier, I was 1v1ing a guy on my server (only 2 players on it) and even at medium ranges, I could 1-shot him with the shotgun. I could even 1-shot him in the air when he was using the Dark Trooper!

My theory is that past maybe 5-10 players, the hit registry of a 40tps server starts to become worse than 30tps, which is obviously what it was designed to run at. Sure, 40tps is STABLE at way past 5-10 players, but I think the hit registry starts to drop off.

Before I compare 40tps to 30tps, and subject my players to even worse hit registry, I wanted you guys' opinions. Does this even make sense? Can a higher than supported tick rate such as 40tps actually cause worse hit registry at higher player counts? Or is this just the result of SWBF2's poor net-code?

I believe simulation rate or tick rate only effects stuff like how fast you fall and some other stuff... I don't think it matters for hit detection, at least not for Hero Assault which should translate into guns the same way I would think

Quote from: Jean on August 24, 2016, 12:56:11 AM
I believe simulation rate or tick rate only effects stuff like how fast you fall and some other stuff... I don't think it matters for hit detection, at least not for Hero Assault which should translate into guns the same way I would think
It does.
Personally I recommend 40 tps and /waitlate for matches up to 14 players. Anything above that would require 35-30 tps (but definitely nothing below 30)

There are a lot of ignorants who blame short registry on the masterserver, and they're wrong, obviously. It has to do with the server host, not the masterserver.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on August 24, 2016, 02:22:00 AM
It does.
Personally I recommend 40 tps and /waitlate for matches up to 14 players. Anything above that would require 35-30 tps (but definitely nothing below 30)

There are a lot of ignorants who blame short registry on the masterserver, and they're wrong, obviously. It has to do with the server host, not the masterserver.

Oh, okay. Good to know. I've always felt ping was a bigger factor though